1.    #1  
    I see Treo only supports SD and MMC. I naturally have a large collection of IBM CF2 microdrives.

Any possibility that there is an adapter or something that would allow me to use them in Treo?
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Yes, Im sure there is a kit. I believe it comes packaged with a rasp file to enable you to open up the SD slot to allow your 4x thicker CF drive to fit "snugly"...
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for the cheap joke, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

In point of fact, despite varying widths, people come up with solutions sometimes. For example, in the reverse situation, if you browse messages on this board, you'll find adapters going the other way--even though when inserted into cameras their doors don't always close. Their look and feel may not be right despite varying sizes and width, but people found a way to make them work.
  4. lam
    In true technical terms , SD card uses I2C protocol which is a 4 bit bus while CF uses an old 16 bit PCMCIA bus which is more of less the same as a ISA bus in ancient PC. Converting from SD to CF is no big problem because the device is big enough to accomodate extra digital logic for conversion. As for a SD to CF conversion , don't you think it's a bit not practical when you need a slot A LOT bigger than the original CF for the parallel to serial communication bus conversion ?

Unless you are expecting a gigantic device attaching your treo ( but would still be blocked by the huge antenna ) or a cable connector running out from your treo. I guess that would render your treo not mobile anymore right ?

Please correct me if i've said something wrong. Thanks
  5.    #5  
    I asked a simple question. I'm not here to tell you whether you are right or wrong. If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have asked. I can envision some solutions, however. It's not like a CF card is the size of an external USB hard drive. But be that as it may--that's why I asked.

What I would've liked though was an answer, not attitude. That's all. I don't think that's too much to ask.
    This should be possible by using a modified CF card-reader. If you get a USB reader and modify the cable, plugging it into the power/sync port should work. Most readers are the size of a cassette or smaller. This should rid you of the large size of a 4-16 bit convertor...or whatever he was talking about that you would need for the SD port.
    I don't know how to go about modifying the cable, but, after reading about how people are plugging their GPS units into that port by using a modified seriel cable, it lets me think it is possible. So, now, any of you techs that know how to do this if you can, it's your turn.
    Good luck.
    Regarding the SD-CF adapters not letting the device's door close - the Minolta SD-CF1 adapter is exactly the same size as a type I CF card and fits inside my Canon S400 with no problem.

I do seem to remember that someone like Sandisk (or maybe it was Lexar) had a USB cable that they shipped with some of their CF cards that functioned as a "card reader" - THIS kind or arrangement would work if you could build an SD-connector on the end of the cable. That would fairly portable and compact.

I ended up with two 512mb SD cards and use them on my camera with the Minolta adapter. My CF cards are now spares, backups, etc (the largest being 256mb). But those with a large investment in CF (like a couple of microdrives) I'm sure would like to find some way to continue to use their cards...

Aha. Here's what I was thinking of:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/jumpshot.html

JumpShot from Lexar. However, according to this review: "The reason that it is so small is that the USB controller is actually located inside of each Lexar JumpSHOT CF memory card. " That would seem to indicate that you could only use those particular Lexar cards with this adapter... Poot.
    THIS kind or arrangement would work if you could build an SD-connector on the end of the cable.
    ...and if you could build some kind of other connector you could probably pick-up Dish Network satellite TV too! Or another home made connector would enable you to view 320x320 screen resolution.
    C'mon people, the manipulations we are simply rolling over as trivial to enact are in fact difficut feats of electrical engineering and dont forget, one false connection and 'phhzzztt' bye-bye treo 600.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Haha. But as I wouldn't know quite how to build an SD-connector, it's not something I would attempt. I was simply suggesting it as the solution, not that it was in fact buildable by a normal Treo user...

Is it really that hard to stay true to the original topic posted? Too many times people reply with "why you shouldn't do something", "that's a dumb idea" and "just do it my way instead" rather than answer the question posted. (
    Magohn, that's not directed at you personally, just a general observation)
    Originally posted by Magohn

...and if you could build some kind of other connector you could probably pick-up Dish Network satellite TV too! Or another home made connector would enable you to view 320x320 screen resolution.
    C'mon people, the manipulations we are simply rolling over as trivial to enact are in fact difficut feats of electrical engineering and dont forget, one false connection and 'phhzzztt' bye-bye treo 600.
    Please. This is exactly why I said it's time for the techs to get into this. Check out this forum and look at what people are doing to connect their GPS units. http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t47948/s.html

There's even a pic in there showing exactly which pin on one connector goes to the other. I know this isn't for everyone, but with the proper research,care, and a soldering iron, it is not too difficult.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Originally posted by breckbone

Please. This is exactly why I said it's time for the techs to get into this. Check out this forum and look at what people are doing to connect their GPS units. http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t47948/s.html

There's even a pic in there showing exactly which pin on one connector goes to the other. I know this isn't for everyone, but with the proper research,care, and a soldering iron, it is not too difficult.
    There is more to it than making a connection between the sync port on the Treo and an external card reader. The Treo would require drivers that would allow it to treat the external reader as a mass storage device. When I had my Compaq Ipaq, there was some progress made in the development of drivers that would recognize external card readers, however, at the time the drivers were not very robust and the throughput was terrible. So, I'm not saying it can't me done, however, it will take more than just figuring out how to physically connect the two. The reason it works for GPSs is that they rely on a simple serial connection, no other logic needs to be present on the treo.
    Originally posted by matics

There is more to it than making a connection between the sync port on the Treo and an external card reader. The Treo would require drivers that would allow it to treat the external reader as a mass storage device. When I had my Compaq Ipaq, there was some progress made in the development of drivers that would recognize external card readers, however, at the time the drivers were not very robust and the throughput was terrible. So, I'm not saying it can't me done, however, it will take more than just figuring out how to physically connect the two. The reason it works for GPSs is that they rely on a simple serial connection, no other logic needs to be present on the treo.
    Right. This is why I was suggesting some techs should get involved. I know that it's not as simple as Plug 'n' Play, but since it already supports one mass storage device, why not another? People have been writing software for this thing left and right because of suggestions like Mark's. Why not this one? This should not be a monumental task.
    Quote Originally Posted by dune
    Regarding the SD-CF adapters not letting the device's door close - the Minolta SD-CF1 adapter is exactly the same size as a type I CF card and fits inside my Canon S400 with no problem.
    Is this an old item? I cheked out the product description (http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...t_Pages/SD_CF1) & it looks like it has a max capacity of 512MB.... great idea but my smallest card is 512.... most are 1GB+

Is there a newer version or have you been able to use iut with any 2GB cards?