1.    #1  
    Dear All,

I'm waiting for an initial release of Callfilter, but as I was thinking about what filtering I really would most want, I realized it would mostly be just to silence the Treo at certain times (e.g. in meetings or when I'm teaching, etc.) That being the case, I was wondering if there might not be a market for a much simpler program--namely a timed silencer.

The idea: You could set it simply to silence the Treo altogether (i.e. both rings and alerts, etc.) at specific (recurring) times. So if you had a class on MWF from 10 to 11, you could just set that recurring time and your Treo would never make a peep during that time. Second, it would interface with the calendar app to silence the Treo during meetings.

It seems to me that the advantage here would be that it need not actually interface with the phone app, or potentially anything else (besides the calendar). Wouldn't this be much easier to write than a complex filtering program.

Anybody else see a market for such a program? Any programmers game to try it? I'd pay a nominal fee for such a thing.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Somewhere on TreoCentral is a thread about "Treo Profile Manager." Take a look for it - it is fairly active. It has something there about programmed silence. Ben

Originally posted by mathewlu
    Dear All,

I'm waiting for an initial release of Callfilter, but as I was thinking about what filtering I really would most want, I realized it would mostly be just to silence the Treo at certain times (e.g. in meetings or when I'm teaching, etc.) That being the case, I was wondering if there might not be a market for a much simpler program--namely a timed silencer.

The idea: You could set it simply to silence the Treo altogether (i.e. both rings and alerts, etc.) at specific (recurring) times. So if you had a class on MWF from 10 to 11, you could just set that recurring time and your Treo would never make a peep during that time. Second, it would interface with the calendar app to silence the Treo during meetings.

It seems to me that the advantage here would be that it need not actually interface with the phone app, or potentially anything else (besides the calendar). Wouldn't this be much easier to write than a complex filtering program.

Anybody else see a market for such a program? Any programmers game to try it? I'd pay a nominal fee for such a thing.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    do you really find it that difficult to slide the mute switch over and back?
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by randyg
    do you really find it that difficult to slide the mute switch over and back?
    The point is remembering to do it. Surely it's not that hard to understand how someone might forget, and then the phone goes off... etc.

Having it automatically silenced during meetings is one of the selling points of the MS smartphone.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Last edited by mathewlu; 02/15/2004 at 03:56 PM.
    I agree with matthewlu that this would be a very useful feature. Of course it's not difficult to switch the mute switch back and forth, it's remembering to do it. And judging by the number of times cell phones go off in church, meetings, movies, classes, etc., I must not be the only one who has trouble remembering to do it.

And perhaps even more useful is the ability of an app like this to turn the ringer back on at the end of a preset time. I don't know how many times I've remembered to turn the ringer off for a meeting or whatever, and then gone several hours afterward without remembering to turn it back on. (In fact reading this thread just reminded me that I had turned the ringer off this morning at 9 AM for church, and now six hours later I'm finally turning it back on.)
    If Profiles had timers we'd be there.