1.    #1  
    hey i was just wondering has anyone figure out how to constantly stay online with veri chat even you close out the program like the treo 300???
    As far as i've understood verichat intercepts incoming sms for messages sent from the verichat server.

all works if your provider gives you an sms email address and you set it in verichat the first time you run it.
    Ciao

Ettore
    Not to sound stupid - but what's an SMS email address? I have an SMS no I guess, my phone no, but I'm not sure about SMS email. I'm with Orange UK by the way.
    it is an email address so that the email is sent to you by sms (only 160 chars)
    Ciao

Ettore
    Originally posted by pinoyakuma
    hey i was just wondering has anyone figure out how to constantly stay online with veri chat even you close out the program like the treo 300???
    verichat should stay connected even when you are in other apps.

if some one ims you, you will get notified with the option to ignore, quick chat (doesn't take you back into verichat), and chat (takes you back into verichat). there might be another option, but I don't remeber it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by the phoenix
    Not to sound stupid - but what's an SMS email address? I have an SMS no I guess, my phone no, but I'm not sure about SMS email. I'm with Orange UK by the way.
    one way you can see what your sms mail is is to send your self an sms (using the included sms app) to a regular email account (user@company.com). If you get it, you can reply to it and see what the email is.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    With Verichat, as long as you are logged into the Verichat server, you remain in "conact" with their system, regardless of what program you are running or not running. When you totally exit Verichat via the "sign off" option, then you are no longer logged into the Verichat server and you no longer will receive IM messages. This is not the same as SMS messages, which your phone (Sprint) receives all the time. So, if you are running Verichat, close the Treo 300, it will remain active. Another thing, if you disable the "wireless" or sign off the Internet, then you will loose contact with the Verichat server.

Now, to muddle this a bit further, I used Verichat back when I had a Treo 300. After the Treo 600 came into my hands, I also started using Chatter and about two weeks ago deleted Verichat. Both programs accomplish the same goal - IMing. Both use different methods to achieve that goal. If you are on a data plan that is unlimited, take a look at Chatter. If you are on a data plan that is not unlimited or is based on usage, stick with Verichat. My wife uses Verichat. Both have their pros and cons.

Ben

Originally posted by pinoyakuma
    Originally posted by bclinger
    Another thing, if you disable the "wireless" or sign off the Internet, then you will loose contact with the Verichat server.
    Not true!
    If you turn your wireless mode off you simply won't receive any SMS alerts from Verichat if someone instant messages you. You are still however logged in as being online thru their proxy server whether or not you turn off wireless mode unless you physically sign off if each IM acct. in Verichat before hand.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    lousy wording on my part. Though if you cannot receive the messages, then what is the difference? You are no longer in contact with their server. Turn the wireless back on and then Verichat will be able to send out notifications - it's a one-way situation, as from my use of Verichat, it has no way of knowing if its notification was received or not.

Unconfuse me. Ben

Originally posted by millerhifi

Not true!
    If you turn your wireless mode off you simply won't receive any SMS alerts from Verichat if someone instant messages you. You are still however logged in as being online thru their proxy server whether or not you turn off wireless mode unless you physically sign off if each IM acct. in Verichat before hand.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Most carriers hold SMS messages on their network for a while if your phone is either off or out of coverage, and deliver them when your phone is back on or in coverage again. So if Verichat's server sends a SMS notifying you of an incoming IM, you'll get it eventually. Of course, by then the person who IMed you might well be offline by then...
    Rusty J.
    600GSM/270/90
    Verichat doesn't really remains connected when you are in another app!

It uses sms as a way to get called by the server.

it intercepts any new incoming sms and looks for something like
    "MSN-message-from <ettore@hotmail.com> <ettore@hotmail.com>: ciao"

in the body.

at this point verichat is activated and reconnects and shows you the message. Now you can also reply.

If you want to test this, just exit from verichat, you can also check (from another MSN account) your msn id shows as disconnected.

send to your phone an sms with this body:
    MSN-message-from <ettore@hotmail.com> <ettore@hotmail.com>: ciao

and you will see verichat showing you the message ciao from my account.
    Ciao

Ettore