1.    #1  
    Hello, I was wondering if most map programs are useless on the Treo600 because of the small screen size?

Do you think this is true or do you know of a good map program that does work well with the Treo600?

I would like to use it for real estate and finding homes that I have to tour and show to buyers.

I have tried mapquest online for pda, but it is very difficult to read the streets because the screen is so small.

That's why I question whether to get mapopolis for the Treo600.

Let me know your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for reading and see you out there.

Brad Hoesman Realtor Real Estate One Ann Arbor, Michigan
    (734) 945-5626
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I have street atlas USA on my treo 600. WOrks great and you can do routes on it as well as find included sites (hospital, major restaurant, etc)

Worth a look.
    Rob
    I use Mapopolis on my Treo 600. Give it a look www.mapopolis.com
    Brilliant timing! I just so happen to be looking for a map program. I have tried mapopolis and do not care for it . It did the job well but I find it to be less than attractive to my eyes. However, I have not tried any of the others out there.

I have seen Handmark and Delorme' in the stores, (not on an actual machine) and have been wondering about how these perform in comparison.
    Last edited by treomojo; 02/14/2004 at 09:28 PM.
    Delorme sucks, you cannot just install maps, you can only install "Trips" so if you end up off of the "Trip" map, you are lost. Mapopolis allows you to install entire counties to your palm, and then if you stray a bit, you can still find your way.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Sunrider,
    have you tried maps.yahoo,com yet? Their maps are much cleaner than mapquests, so I think they will work better on the treo (haven't had a chance to try yet). They also have a mobile service. Maybe that's all you need.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    John - I'm curous if you haven't tried the latest version of Street Atlas. You can designate grids to transfer onto your device. For example - I have Greater Chicago, Stuart, FL, and Miami-Ft Lauderdale saved as unique maps on my storage card. I also have "trips" saved as you referred to.

The selection is made by hi-lighting grids via mouse then transferring them over.

Either Mapopolis or SA usa would be viable alternatives I think.

Bottom line, maps are usable on the Treo 600's screen, albeit small.
    Rob
    well....for what it's worth, SA USA sucks. Oh it's great if you don't happen to need any addresses, but in my line of work, I need them.

It does look nice. I just wish that it would search for an address. I put a search in for a police station ANYWHERE in the city also and it came up with nada.

I'll be trying something else.....Maybe Handmark's Streets or something....I really don't want to revert to Mapopolis because of it being so aesthetically disgusting.....but then again, these are my opinions.

NOW- back to the store.....maybe I'll just take my laptop with me this time to remedy the back and forth trips.
    Originally posted by treomojo

NOW- back to the store.....maybe I'll just take my laptop with me this time to remedy the back and forth trips.
    Better take your Treo too The PC version of SA has all the things you asked for. Street Addressing is built in, things other than addresses (Attractions, gas stations etc) are in an optional database (thats on the CD) that tooks up quite a bit of room. Havent tried the Palm OS version of it, since the PC version can use 500+ mb easily. I'm sure the Palm version is scaled down.
    Pete
    If you know ahead of time where you need to go, with Mapquest you can actually download driving directions (in text) to your PDA as an avantgo channel if you have avantgo.

It doesn't give you maps, but it is a pretty concise on-the-go option if you don't absolutely NEED the map.

with both Yahoo Maps & Mapquest, you can also email a link to the map - takes a bit more time and a bit more "clumsy" to access since it access the main page - not the mobile version...
    mapopolis is the way to go. it
    - can recalculate route if u miss a turn
    - has voice prompts (its too much but the company is fixing it)
    - is very easy to use

i have used Hertz neverlost system 100+ times and mapopolis comes pretty close to it.

i am using it on my treo 600 but people say that it works much much better on pocketpc platform.
    Mapopolis only works better if you have an active GPS connected. Otherwise it does not matter wether you are using Palm OS or PPC.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
  13.    #13  
    Great, thanks, yeah I might purchase and install Mapopolis Navigator for the verbal driving directions.

I think that this would work out great for me in real estate.

I'll have to think about it some more though.

I would need to purchase a good GPS mouse, and I want to get the ProClip holder to mount my Treo to my dash in my Silverado.

Plus I want to get the audio hooked up thru my stereo system, there is some kind of unit from Radio Shack that turns it into a FM signal.

I think when I get all these things that my Treo600 will make a good, accurate and verbal navigator that will be easy to use.

Then I won't feel so bad about not being able to read the maps too well on this dinky screen.

Thanks for all the help you guys.

Thanks for reading and see you out there.

Brad Hoesman Realtor Real Estate One Ann Arbor, Michigan
    (734) 945-5626
    FYI The Mapopolis app is free, you have to pay for the maps. However you can download demo maps to test/play with it before you purchase any maps.
    I bought Handmark's Streetfinder when I went back to the store. At first it didn't even work....9sheesh) but after a quick call to Tech support, they sent me a fix. Evidently there is an update for the treo 600's.

After the install everything worked great. I would say that it comes very close to Mapopolis. AND, after trying this one out, I would give the edge to mapopolis.....right now anyways. The search function on Mapopolis is a little better than Streetfinder, from what I can tell. One thing that is better with Streetfinder is the desktop application. It has a number of features.

I'll report more in a week....I need time to thoroughly test it out.
    Forget those apps. Try this website for maps and directions optimized for Treo Mapquest (best version of many) for PDA

Also Vindigo ($20 I think) has a pretty good map and directions function on it. You just download for whatever city you need. If you need to add a city, you can do that wirelessly from your Treo. You get movie listings, shops, food, etc. all by city. It truely is indispensable. Only thing is it doesn't cover every square inch of my city though. Just the most "popular" I guess. But if I need to look up something that is not covered in Vindigo, I just go to the above link. Good luck