1.    #1  
    What would be the bonus of having a VPN app on my Treo? I have heard alot about it and i am just wondering if it could do me some good.

Thanks, Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Virtual Private Networking or using the open Internet to transmit sensitive business information but in an encrypted manner so no-one could snoop the content of your packets.

If you worked in a large business, your IT folks would probably install a VPN software package or VPN appliance to allow you to connect to corporate email and servers over an open Internet connection such as GPRS or PCS Vision. You would make the connection using a matching VPN application on your Treo which would talk with the corporate VPN s/w & h/w to allow you access. All your data traffic is encrypted in real time.

Right now I believe the only type of VPN supported on Treo 600 is PPTP VPN and the software can be obtained from www.mergic.com.

The more common type of VPN is IPSEC. I do not know of any VPN software for Treo 600 that currently supports this kind of VPN. It would be very helpful to many folks if this were available. Anyone know?

How do you use it in practice?
    You launch your Internet connection on the Treo.
    You launch your VPN client and put in a password
    The Palm OS client then verifies you with the corporate VPN
    You can then access mail servers and potentially other servers via your Treo Internet connection

For example, you could use VersaMail to get your mail via IMAP from an Exchange server that has IMAP services turned on.

On products like Tungsten C, the VPN and network connection portions are nicely integrated so connecting with the VPN client and connecting to the Internet are one clean operation.
    For IPSEC-based vpn, there is movianVPN - although I've heard mixed stories about its support on the t600, and despite the best efforts of my firewall admins we have yet to make it work with our corporate vpn concentrators...
  4.    #4  
    Well guys this all seems over my head, so i'm sure i have no use for it right now. Thanks for all your help guys.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about