Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Maybe you people can help me here:

I'm a stay-at-home Dad/web designer. My kids are getting older such that i'm starting to ferry them from place to place, and am getting out of the house enough that I might actually need a cel phone (Yes, i'm in Southern California and I don't have a Cel phone!

I love my handspring Visor Deluxe (yes, plain old B&W Visor) and take it with me when I do go out to take notes, access my calendar and contacts and read Avantgo while i'm waiting for my daughter to finish swim/dance/etc lessons

I figure what I want is :[list=1][*]Cel phone with 500 minutes or so, low-use MB data transfer[*]color screen to show off new baby photos[*]Does contacts/calendar/note pad[*]Lets me download reading material from web sites to read on the road[*]Ability to run a telnet application (VNC would be a bonus)[*]MP3 player would be cool[*]Camera is cool, but i've got a 4MP camera for real pictures. But still nice to have[/list=1]

I've always thought that a Treo600 would be the best for me, but now that i'm reading that bluetooth isn't going to be availble on-board for a while (and I need a Cel phone soon!), i'm wondering if the Treo 600 is more for the business user and i'm not the target market.

I'm not even sure why I want bluetooth, since i don't travel witha laptop (heck, I don't even travel at all!), but i'm just thinking i'll have this for a while and I always like my stuff to be upgradable. I assume that i'll get an SD card with bluetooth in a year or so, if they become available.

Any thoughts from the crowd? Is a Treo600 for me or should I save my money, get a free phone with activation from a provider and then get my Treo next year...

Of course, then I have to select a provider... ANyone have a good source for learning about GPRS/CDMA/blah blah for cell phone newbies?

Thanx much!
    www.sfbacell.com - more than you need to know. Has a link for socal. Good luck.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    you better of getting a really nice small phone with built in BT plus a new PDA with built in BT.

treo600 obviously won't satisfy your requirement. (5,6)
    Originally posted by suskind
    you better of getting a really nice small phone with built in BT plus a new PDA with built in BT.

I am wondering why this would be?

5. I currently use Win-Hand to access my desktop PC remotely. It works great:

http://www.win-hand.com/menu.htm

There is also a version of VNC for the Palm which I know others use:

http://www.wind-junkie.de/PalmVNC/

6. Pocket Tunes works well enough as an MP3 player for one which is running on a cell phone. It's no ipod but it does the trick. Get yourself a nice big SD card and you're all set.

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/

Personally, I think the Treo 600 sounds like it'll fit your needs perfectly.
  5.    #5  
    forgot 2 add: I'm on Mac, so would raather not PocketPC

(typin w/baby in my arms...)

5: PalmOS telnet client: http://www.markspace.com/online.html

or even better an ssh client:

http://www.ai/~iang/TGssh/

6: A stripped down version of this MP3 player was/is free from PalmOne/Handspring after registering:

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/index.htm

re: Bluetooth, I personally don't understand the big advantage. If you have a laptop with WiFi, you get much better speeds and it is becoming available all over the place, from coffee shops to airports...

Good luck,
    Last edited by work2fish; 02/13/2004 at 07:21 PM.
    I personally don't thin you would even need bluetooth considering what you said. Bluetooth could give you a bluetooth wireless headset and that's it. I say go for it. Don't wait for the bluetooth one. You'll be fine... I am obsessed with mine!!
    Yes
    Originally posted by iwbyte

I figure what I want is :[list=1][*]Cel phone with 500 minutes or so, low-use MB data transfer[*]color screen to show off new baby photos[*]Does contacts/calendar/note pad[*]Lets me download reading material from web sites to read on the road[*]Ability to run a telnet application (VNC would be a bonus)[*]MP3 player would be cool[*]Camera is cool, but i've got a 4MP camera for real pictures. But still nice to have[/list=1]
    [list=1][*]see what your neighbors and friends are using for carriers. Sprint has the lowest unlimted data plan and T-mo has the lowest data plan on gsm.[*]the 600 has a color screen, and will show your pictures, but it isnt the best screen out there for photos.[*]well, doe that. [*]avango should still work, but there are issues. I moved to plucker because of these issues.[*]like others have said it does telnet and vnc. it can also do vpn.[*]register and get pocket tunes to do mpg. you will need an sd card. the bigger the better. [*]the bane of the 600. ppl have gotten good pictures with the 600, but it isn't the best.[*]i luv my treo [/list=1]
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    you don't want to keep up with two devices, especially when one will do the job. We have a lot of Mac users here so that's not an issue.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  11.    #11  
    Wow - a lot of good reading material, lots to go research.

Thanx much!
    You deserve this toy-er-tool.
    Mac users are being left in the cold by PalmSource - they are discontinuing support in their new OSes - might not be TREO 600 relevant, but certainly seems TREO-of-the-future relevant:

-- http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2...ahoo&referrer=
    I would recommend a new wife who is capable of dealing with the kids herself.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Mac users are being left in the cold by PalmSource - they are discontinuing support in their new OSes - might not be TREO 600 relevant, but certainly seems TREO-of-the-future relevant:

-- http://www.forbes.com/personaltech/2...ahoo&referrer=

but mark space will have an option for mac users. probably not free, but an option.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    just because palmsource is not doing sync for mac does not mean palmone will not include one for their devices. they are separate companies. if I remember correctly handspring had a lot to do w/ the mac sync for the Treo's anyways. around 50% of P1's staff are programmers, so I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over this topic.

AND absolutely get the treo 600, you will love it

get lost ska...er, purple!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Get it today -- it's worth every penny.

I have Sprint & although cs on the 800 line isn't great my local store is great & they have been a great help. The T600 does so much and does it really well ... I don't think I could ever go back to 2 devices.

With current data plans, I really do not understand the need for Bluetooth. Why carry a laptop when all you need is your T600?

BTW, where is that line for the women that will work and let you stay at home? I need to get in it before the supply runs out!
    I'm a Stay-at-home Mom and my Treo is an invaluable tool, incredible source of convenience and efficiency. I love and am still amazed with the Treo.

P.S. To the Romantics out there: HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
  20.    #20  
    On reading the forums, the one thing i'm concerned about is the screen - I don't know what 160x160 vs 320x320 means, and since I can't find a local reseller who has a treo 600, I can't compare. I want to be able to show off baby pictures. It is similar to the Palm tungsten Color screen or more the handspring visor prism screen?

GeekyMom - any feedback on that front ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast