Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by GeekyMom
    I'm a Stay-at-home Mom and my Treo is an invaluable tool, incredible source of convenience and efficiency. I love and am still amazed with the Treo.

P.S. To the Romantics out there: HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
    Happy Valentine's Day to you too. I got my hair dyed red today in honor of the occasion. (and my kids call me a geek daily so I can really relate to your name!)

iwbyte, the screen is not great. I don't normally show off my photos using my Treo. But everything else is fantastic. I wowed someone else today again today at the gym when I got to show off how my PHONE played audio books, movies, music, accessed the internet, e-mailed, chatted, etc. etc. etc. If you have good Sprint coverage in your area, they are the way to go. Great data plan.
    It not as good a color screen as either of those. It's very bright, but only 4K colors.

To the point of bluetooth, I find bluetooth close to essential and I'm very disappointed my Treo doesn't have it. With bluetooth I can use a wireless headset, use the phone as a data modem for my laptop, and synch without cables. And yes, I think a laptop is still essential. Try browsing CNN on any heldheld (let alone the Treo 160x160 screen).

Honestly I love my Treo but I think you should check out alternatives also. The Sony Ericsson P900 is a multimedia powerhouse compared to the Treo. Most of the things you need for it are included not third-party apps you need to include. It's got a 208x320 pixel 16 bit screen (65K colors) and certainly shows photos much better than the Treo along with bluetooth, voice dialing and more. The Treo wins hands down for ease of use in business applications and messaging, but it sounds like that's not your priority. I have both and am completely torn between them because I want the multimedia/connectivity of the P900, but the ease of use and keyboard of the Treo.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #23  
    Wow - those of us who want the Perfect Phone are just never going to be happy...

I did look into the P900 after you mentioned it, but i need Palm OS - I've got this strange setup where i don't keep my contacts in my address book but in a Filemaker Database, so I sync with Jfile but may be switching to HanDbase or FileMaker Mobile when I go to OS X (which is soon)

So my choices are the Samsung i500 and the Treo 600, so between them, the Treo seems to win. I'm going from a B&W 4 bit screen to a color screen, so I don't think i'll be too disappointed with the screen (seeing as I have nothing to compare with). I'm trying to find one locally but bestbuy/Fry's doesn't seem to have them in stock to play with.

I'm also going from a AAA-battery Handspring Visor that lasts me weeks to a rechargable, so i'd rather it last a long time with a poor screen then hi-res screen w/bad battery life (esp. since when my wife's Palm V dies on the Road every so often we had to buy ANOTHER recharger to take with us...)

I've got some other questions too, like:
    • i read that if i'm on a data call and a cel call comes in I don't get notification but it goes straight to Voice mail - is that for all carriers?
    • What are good belt clips for the Treo?
    • Can I buy a power recharger that recharges via a USB cable on my wife's Powerbook?

But I can STF for those.

Thanx again everyone - Treo 600 it is!
    You're right only you can decide what's best for you. As for your questions:

1.) As far as I know this is only on the Sprint version. I believe that all GSM versions will allow a call to come through when data is connected. I know this is true for T-Mobile and I'm pretty sure it is for AT&T and Cingular.
    2.) I haven't really looked into this. There is one by Handspring, but I mostly keep it in a pocket.
    3.) Yes. I use it with a PowerBook also. I got an inexpensive USB cable/charger (sorry don't remember the brand) back for my Treo 270 and it works fine with the PowerBook and the Treo 600.

Good luck with your Treo, it is a great phone.

Originally posted by iwbyte
    • i read that if i'm on a data call and a cel call comes in I don't get notification but it goes straight to Voice mail - is that for all carriers?
    • Can I buy a power recharger that recharges via a USB cable on my wife's Powerbook?

But I can STF for those.

Thanx again everyone - Treo 600 it is!
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Just pick you up a 270 or 300 for cheeeep and try it until the 610 rolls out later in the year. You will still the same color screen, same res, with arguably better keyboard, all the palm functionality. Sure the downloads won't be quite as fast and it won't double as an mp3 player but it does come with a flip lid (very handy) and best of all you will save a bundle. When these tmo 600s start to ship you can probably pick up a 270 for ~$100. Take the other $300 or so and grab the new Sony t55 w/ wifi, hi res screen, camera, great new pim app, mp3 player, great form factor.
    I am a SAHD as well who has bought and sold four t600s and every time I have one it is great for about 2 days but then I have to try real hard to find a $400 reason to upgrade over the 270.

I would recommend a new wife who is capable of dealing with the kids herself.
    Jealous
    Originally posted by iwbyte

1. this depends on the gsm provider and location it seems. i doesn't work in nyc and on t-mo.
    2. i put it in my pocket
    3. handspring sells one.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    On reading the forums, the one thing i'm concerned about is the screen - I don't know what 160x160 vs 320x320 means, and since I can't find a local reseller who has a treo 600, I can't compare. I want to be able to show off baby pictures. It is similar to the Palm tungsten Color screen or more the handspring visor prism screen?
    That is exactly the difference. Although on the T600 the screen is smaller so 160x160 doesn't look as pixelated or as "coarse" as it does on the prism. Unfortunately it doesn't come close to a Tungsten T3.

On the upside lower res mean longer battery life...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12