1.    #1  
    OK, so I've been using the AIM program that comes equipped on the Treo 600. I like it because it shows a mobile icon by my name on my friends' buddy lists (so they know I'm using a mobile device) and because i am notified of incoming IM's at any time as long as I'm signed on (but I don't actually have to be connected to be notified.)

But how much of a pain in the **** is it to actually retrieve the incoming IM?

1) tap "Go To" button
    2) tap link that takes you TO the instant message (why can't that just BE the message?!?!)
    3) wait while web brower accesses the message.
    4) tap "Get New Messages"
    5) tap option 1 - View Msgs

I mean, that is an insane amount of steps. I just don't quite understand why they couldn't just have the message itself be the first thing that pops up, and you just tap the reply box and reply away.

Then what's worse, is if someone's IM'ing you one message after another (or more than one person is IM'ing you at the same time), your Treo is all over the place, bouncing back to the notification page while you might have been right in the middle of typing a note or something.

Can anyone recommend a better AIM program that has both features mentioned in my first paragraph?

Thanks!
    I like VeriChat, although lately some messages seem to get mysteriously lost.

http://www.verichat.com/

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Not sure if it's the same app, but I use the AIM client from AOL and it works just like the AIM on my desktop. I don;t recall it being on the phone when it was new from AT&T.
    at imchatter.com. it does AIM, Y!, MSN, ICQ, *and* IMAP.
    The problem is, neither of these display the Mobile Device Icon. Aside from that, if SMS notification when your disconnected is important, you might try VeriChat.
    Pete
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by PeteEMT
    The problem is, neither of these display the Mobile Device Icon. Aside from that, if SMS notification when your disconnected is important, you might try VeriChat.
    SMS Notification is important. But the mobile icon is also. I really need people to see that and know I'm not at a computer.

So what I'm hearing from everyone is, you can't have it both ways. Right?

Anymore input is always welcome.
    if its important to you, then sign onto your desktop client and edit your profile to make it say that you are on a mobile device, mine says "xxxx is connected to AIM via Treo 600"

then sign on to VeriChat or imchatter using the same screen name, you will get a message on your desktop from AOL Sys MSG or something like that saying you're signed in at 2 places. when people check your profile it will show your desktop profile instead of "No Information Provided"
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    What I did to solve this type of problem (and the new annoying AOL feature that lets you know you are logged into 2 places at once, can you turn that off?) was create a new screen name.

Let's pretend my AOL name was "Naeblis". Then I would create a new name called "Naeblis Mobile"

Now that name can be logged in at all times and receiving data. While my other account swaps between home and work usage. Now your contacts can have multiple ways to reach you.

It's also clear from the name that this is a mobile device people are contacting.

This solution works great for me, i'm always reachable.
    Sorry, Clicking the back button Monday morning reposted to this thread. I'm being told I can't delete the post either.
    ...then sign on to VeriChat or imchatter using the same screen name, you will get a message on your desktop from AOL Sys MSG or something like that saying you're signed in at 2 places.
    This is how it used to work with Verichat, but with the Verichat app it's not what I wanted. Now, though, I'm using Chatter (instead of Verichat) and because of what I percieve to be a better interface it is what I want (AIM messages on both platforms). But I can't get it to work. If my PC is logged on to AIM and I logon to Chatter my PC gets disconnected. If I'm logged onto Chatter and I logon to AIM with my PC then I stop getting AIM messages on my Treo.

Dunc