1. obz
    Well guys, I'm thinking about joining all you Treo 600 owners. I currently have a G1000 (or "the brick" as I lovingly call it) and I wanted to know if I'm going to suffer by switching over from a PPC device to a Palm device. I've been looking around at different parts of this forum and there's some REALLY good info in here. My normal usage is watching divX movies, playing games, keeping track of my contacts, surfing the net, and I think that's about it. I'm a Sprint user if that makes any difference. From what I understand it's pretty hard to find a free program for a Palm based device. Is this true? Also, I want to be able to customize ring tones (wav files, etc.). Can the Treo play mp3's? Also, do you guys have problems with only having 24 megs of available memory on your devices? The G1000 also only has 32 megs but we've figured out registry tweaks to move files around to the SD card and free up space in the device memory. I know this is a big series of quesitons, but I really like the look and feel of the Treo 600 and I need to size down from the beast I currently call my phone. Anyway, thanks for all the help in advance!!!!
    Lots of free Palm software here:
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/

Newly released programs--Callfilter and Lightwave allow you to use MP3s as ringtones

Pocket Tunes allows MP3 playback

The free RAM level is not an issue for me; just get an SD card.

Regards,
    --Mathew

Oh yeah, as with the Mac, Palm is the LIGHTSIDE!
    it'd be hard to go from the g1000 to the hs. the biggest difference will be screen resolution. if the size of the g1000 doesn't bother you i don't think you should switch over. myself i went from no cell phone to the treo so it's great for me. i think if you downgrade you'll be kicking yourself about all the features you lost.

go to the sprint store and play with the treo though. it's the best way to see if you like it.
    u'll love not having to use a stylus, trust me. The palm OS is great and so is the we browser. I surf the web at least 5 different times a day on mine. Get PalmOne mail app for free and u get a great usable email program. and SMS is working for sprint now. good luck, I ordered treos for me and my wife as soon as hand made them available like 6 months ago and we stiill absolutely love them. I feel naked w/o mine.
    The Palm OS is suitable for most all of your needs and can accompish all the things you say in your post with as good or better results than PPC. I've had both and there are things I miss and other things I treasure.

At this point in time, you *will* lose some fuctionality and/or ease of use by choosing a Treo or other Palm OS device. This is mainly due to the limited development that the Palm OS has in comparison with Microsoft products. Most of the development for the Palm OS is "home grown". This has it's upside and downside. The Treo may get more mainstream support with the advent of Java support, but that won't happen for a year or so.

Microsoft products get much more R&D dollars and support by mainstream software companies which means you have more choices and in some cases better choices with the *real* dark side.

From a hardware perspective, the Treo 600 and PPC devices are more evenly matched. I don't think you'll notice a significant upside or downside if you are the average user. The only thing to be aware of is that the Treo 600 has a smaller screen size and resolution. This doesn't bother me, but does some people.

I suggest you do your own hands-on comparison at your local store, read these forums and others, and make your own decision, however, keep in mind that straight out of the box you won't be able to do a true comparison because your Treo needs some TLC to stock it up with all the good software equivalents that come free with Micro$oft.

If you're a true geek and/or gadget freak who is technologically inclined, I think you'll enjoy the Treo 600 more than any offerings from the "evil-doers". There is absolutely a wonderful sense of "community" with other Palm owners and even the Palm developers that you will never find with Microsoft. Perhaps that is the one place that there is no competition.
    If you understand, things are just as they are. If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Just a couple of more thoughts:

You'll find 24 MB RAM on the Palm platform to be more useful than 32 on the PPC, because Palm apps are consistently smaller and more efficient.

And to the person who things the PPC is more user-friendly /easier to use, I have one question: What have you been smoking?

Even though it's improved over the years, the PPC is still light years more complicated that it needs to be for a handheld device.

Finally, if you use a PPC device on Sprint, Vision costs you an extra $15 a month over a Palm device. That'll pay for a lot of software.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  7. obz
    Well everyone, thanks for the info. I'm going to head to my local Sprint store today and play with one of these bad boys. I've been checking out all kinds of places about software and it does seem that there is a lot out there to help you out. Another problem with my G is there is hardly ANY support from Sprint. They seem to think that it doesn't exist!! When you pay $650 for a device you hope that they'd know what they were talking about, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Do you guys have this same problem, or is it only the case with other phones?? As far a Vision goes, I'm already paying for it, so it doesn't really phase me too much. I like to be connected to the internet so I can do all my accounting, keep up on scores, and all that good stuff. Anyway, how is support from Sprint or PalmOne??
    Originally posted by obz
    Anyway, how is support from Sprint or PalmOne??
    As a Sprint user, you should already know that "Sprint support" is an oxymoron. It's very hit or miss, and my only solution when I'm told "no", "I don't know", or "you can't do that" from one rep is to call back in 5-10 minutes and get another answer. Just keep fishing until you catch something when it comes to Sprint.
    I think it's funny that i had a G1000 and we also called it the brick! but anyway, i was very impressed with the integration of the phone/pda and the seperate talk/end buttons and voice dialing, but mine was a lemon and the battery died prematurely and it always lost my data when the battery went out... not realizing at the time it was a dud, i switched to a treo, and i like it a lot. the hardware is definitely superior. the only thing that let me jump to palm is that i still have a seperate pda for pocket pc apps, because i have to say palm is very inferior. if the treo had pocket pc phone edition, i'd probably be a much happier camper.
    Originally posted by craigdts
    u'll love not having to use a stylus, trust me. The palm OS is great and so is the we browser. I surf the web at least 5 different times a day on mine. Get PalmOne mail app for free and u get a great usable email program. and SMS is working for sprint now. good luck, I ordered treos for me and my wife as soon as hand made them available like 6 months ago and we stiill absolutely love them. I feel naked w/o mine.
    treo 600 browser and media player doesn't even come close to G1000.

My suggestion: move to XDAII or wait for the HP h6000. The H6000 will be a quad band with BT/WiFi included, about the size of current h2210, rumored to have thumboard attachment.

h6000 (spring release)
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde...topic_id=24402
    moto A630 (unknown release, early rumor)
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde...topic_id=24308
    Last edited by suskind; 02/13/2004 at 05:59 PM.
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    Just a couple of more thoughts:
    And to the person who things the PPC is more user-friendly /easier to use, I have one question: What have you been smoking?
    The g1000 for eg, can make VD, or access a lot of daily infor via Today screen (including todo, various news, inbox, launch icon, dial list, profiler, etc)

Treo600 still is the simplistic organizer ontop of a phone with rather unimpressive integration of the datebook.
    Originally posted by suskind

Treo600 still is the simplistic organizer ontop of a phone with rather unimpressive integration of the datebook.
    So what happenned ska (PurpleX), you get bored trolling PIC already?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Originally posted by suskind

Try the vast array of 3rd party datebook software available for the Treo 600. You will be VERY impressed by the amount of functionality!

Datebook, Agendus, Beyond Contacts, Key Suite etc. etc... too many to list!
    Originally posted by Cyril

Try the vast array of 3rd party datebook software available for the Treo 600. You will be VERY impressed by the amount of functionality!

Datebook, Agendus, Beyond Contacts, Key Suite etc. etc... too many to list!
    --------> "My normal usage is watching divX movies, playing games, keeping track of my contacts, surfing the net, and I think that's about it. "

it may be too many to list, but certainly not enough to compete.
  15. obz
    Here's my next question for all of you. I know that the treo supports SDIO. Can you use any SDIO device (ie bluetooth)? Hey suskind, didn't I used to see you over on the PDAphonehome forum?? Didn't you used to have a G?? The problem with the new HP phones is that they're for GSM and I'm stuck on CDMA. What program do you guys use to watch your divX files?? Oh, one more thing. Can you just install palm updates from the PalmOne website, or do you need to do upgrades (OS applicable) specifically from the various service providers (sprint, t-mobile, at&t)?? One problem with the G is that you can't just download pocket pc 2003 on it, an update has to be provided from Hitachi specifically for the G1000. I'm just trying to find out if the treo has the same problem.