Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Jayzee,
    I hotsync'd 3 files: J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc, midp20.prc, and j9pref.prc. I don't think you "need" the last one, but it can be used for debugging if you're a java programmer. Before installing, I uninstalled the previous java installation.

Aloumide,
    I get the same message for the first http/https connection each session. The reason I lost the ability to connect to secure sites is that I went back to the old reqW jar file and converted it with the Beta2 jar2prc app. It occured to me later that I did not need/want to do that, so I just reinstalled the updated ReqW file. I'm hoping that with the new J2MW version ReqW will be able to make further improvements to the browser. For example, I can't access secure sites that use java scripts, nor sites that use frames. One thing I noticed with the jar file I converted is that there was a "small" icon for it in Hilauncher that with the prc converted with the old J2ME was just a default icon. Perhaps other enhancements will be available if/when ReqW converts the updated jar with the updated J2ME converter.
    Originally posted by aolumide

I noticed the new JVM makes any java app seeking an http/https connection display a "user permission check" prompt once per browsing session, posing the following question to the user:

"Can <JavaApp> use airtime to send or receive via an http connection until <JavaApp> terminates?" (where <JavaApp> = WebViewer)

Are you getting this prompt while using WebViewer?
    Yes, and I find it really annoying. I wish there were some way to shut it off.

BTW, I emailed ReqW to let them know about the new beta; perhaps this will lead to additional improvements.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by treopazzo
    Jayzee,
    I hotsync'd 3 files: J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc, midp20.prc, and j9pref.prc. I don't think you "need" the last one, but it can be used for debugging if you're a java programmer. Before installing, I uninstalled the previous java installation.
    Good or bad I just hotsynced the new J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc file from the /ARM directory without any of the others (I had previously synced the midp20.prc from the last beta), and without removing the old ones first. Everything seems to be working fine.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    I just noticed this note in the User Guide:

"NOTE: J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc is an installer application that assembles the required components on the device from a single PRC file. Limitations in Palm HotSync prevent code segment sizes greater than 64 KB from being synchronized on or off the device.
    Due to this limitation, the runtime components are not backed up. If you must hard reset your device, the J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc must be manually reinstalled."
    does the T and B functions only work with the registered version?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Hey guys, check out the IBM Java settings page that can be found by going to the built-in preferences page and selecting it from the dropdown menu. I'm not sure what all the settings mean, but apparently, you can set the memory size (cache size, I think) for Webviewer. Not sure what "use double buffering" means, or what the "HTTP Proxy" refers to. Maybe someone else has an idea. I have the new beta installed-not sure if the settings are available in the previous one.
    proxy acts as a filter, rather than directly connecting to website, you connect through the proxy which usually strips out some content to make the data usage smaller for lower power processing, such as cell phones

PLUS Question...

With the jadtoprc_w program, do we really need to install the Java midlet program....I mean the Webviewer program can be install w/o the Java Midlet since it has already been converted to .prc...right?

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Originally posted by 100thMonkey
    With the jadtoprc_w program, do we really need to install the Java midlet program....I mean the Webviewer program can be install w/o the Java Midlet since it has already been converted to .prc...right?
    100thMonkey,

No, you don't have to re-install webviewer via the MIDLet HQ app, since you already have the PRC. Installing the J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc from the beta 2 JVM automatically installs the MIDLet HQ app.

It's the default java application management system for this IBM JVM, used for downloading java applications OTA, or "over the air". So, you can install a midlet by typing its URL (if you know it) onto the command line and clicking the install button.

rgds,

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 02/22/2004 at 05:38 PM.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Originally posted by whagopia
    Hey guys, check out the IBM Java settings page that can be found by going to the built-in preferences page and selecting it from the dropdown menu. I'm not sure what all the settings mean, but apparently, you can set the memory size (cache size, I think) for Webviewer. Not sure what "use double buffering" means, or what the "HTTP Proxy" refers to. Maybe someone else has an idea. I have the new beta installed-not sure if the settings are available in the previous one.
    The text below was taken straight out of the IBM® WebSphere® Micro Environment Toolkit for Palm OS Developers User Guide (beta2):

==============================================
    User Preferences Panel
    The user preferences panel can be accessed by selecting the “Prefs” in the “System” category in the Palm OS launcher on your device. The panel below will be displayed when “IBM Java VM” is selected in the “Other” category.

<Panel here (in documentation)>

The first panel shows the current global settings. Different preference values can be specified for each installed MIDlet. The default behavior is for each MIDlet to use the global preferences.

The preference panel allows the following options to be set:
    Double Buffering – A double-buffered canvas draws more smoothly while sacrificing some drawing speed.
    High resolution – High resolution coordinates allow the MIDlet to draw in actual screen coordinates rather than emulating the legacy 160x160 screen coordinates.1
    HTTP Proxy – URL and/or port of HTTP proxy
    Memory Maximum – Sets the maximum memory the VM will allocate.
    Equivalent to the -Xmx<x> command line option.
    Maximum Java Thread Size – Sets the maximum Java thread stack size.
    Equivalent to the -Xss<x> command line option.

1 This option will only be available on devices that have a high-resolution display.

rgds,

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 02/22/2004 at 05:54 PM.
    Hey, thanks for the info. I guess I really should have read the manual.
    Originally posted by whagopia
    Hey, thanks for the info. I guess I really should have read the manual.
    whagopia,
    Hey, you're welcome. I've done that myself many a time. (Not read the manual completely)

rgds,

aolumide
    @ aolumide

I guess what I really meant to say was that can one install the webviewer prc without ever installing the J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc....not reinstalling it. rephrased, can webviewer.prc work on its own

@ aolumide

I guess what I really meant to say was that can one install the webviewer prc without ever installing the J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc....not reinstalling it. rephrased, can webviewer.prc work on its own
    no--it's a java app; it needs the runtime to, well, run...

Regards,
    --Mathew
    interesting, even the altered prc's need the websphere to run...most interesting

interesting, even the altered prc's need the websphere to run...most interesting
    I don't think you're quite getting what's going on. As I am understanding it (admittedly imperfectly), it's still a JAVA app--even though it is "converted" to a PRC it's not transformed into a Palm native app.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Has anyone been able to get frames to work? I tried scottrade.com and the frames didn't load correctly.
    ‘Missing’ features, such as a 'back' hot key have already been mentioned. Here are a few others (check the Treo mobile pages for examples if you're curious):

* Some text objects are consistently left justified, even if they are rendered as centered or right justified in Blazer (and WebPro) Example: 'treocentral' logo.

* The highlight is sometimes nearly impossible to see when selecting certain objects/links. Example: 'down arrow' link to latest post.

* Other graphics do not appear at all. Example: division lines between posts.

* And finally: I cannot make this dialog stop popping up with each launch of WV. (I never saw this until the Java update)

• User Permission Check

Can WebViewer use airtime to send or receive via an http connection until WebViewer terminates? Yes or No?

(If I select 'No,' WebViewer terminates with an error. Selecting 'Yes' is only good for the current launch).
    That "airtime" message comes up for me as well. As with the other issues, I consider it an extremely small price for the amazing speed of the browser.
    yup, Matt you are right, I had originally thought that since it was convereted to .prc it wouldn't need the runtime environment, but alas it does. Cool beans

Also, I know some people here don't like the idea of scrollbar, but I would love it if Reqwireless got a scroll bar like Snappermail's...i love that scroll bar

...Also, I know some people here don't like the idea of scrollbar, but I would love it if Reqwireless got a scroll bar like Snappermail's...i love that scroll bar
    Fairly certain Reqwireless has already nixed the scrollbar request.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast