Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    I can make GA work in the ReqW for letters and numbers, but I can't figure out how to make the underscore. Specifically, how do you do it? When I do a tap then left-right it just beeps and doesn't print any character on the screen.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    I can make GA work in the ReqW for letters and numbers, but I can't figure out how to make the underscore. Specifically, how do you do it? When I do a tap then left-right it just beeps and doesn't print any character on the screen.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    are you using the graffiti 1 or graffiti 2 libraries? the instructions you reference above is the graffiti 1 stroke for underscore. can you write the underscore in another application (eg, memo pad)? If you have graffiti 1 installed, you can go to keyboard help from the menus in most applications (eg, memo pad) and the on screen display there will show you the strokes for most graffiti 1 characters (including underscore).

If you don't have G1 installed, I found that G2 support with graffiti anywhere is pretty inconsistent on the treo 600. Good luck
    I found another bug with JVM. Yesterday I tried to put Webviewer as default browser on the LEFT arrow key in the main display. After I replaced Web with Webviewer on Display Pref screen, I went back to the main screen and saw Solitaire as the LEFT arrow application! I went back to Display Pref screen and double checked, and it was still showing Webviewer as selected on LEFT arrow. I went back and press the left arrow, and sure enough it took me to Solitaire. So I thought maybe because Solitaire is the first java program program I installed before Webviewer, that's why it showed up instead of Webviewer. Since I don't play Solitaire, I could just delete it and maybe Webviewer will show up. I deleted Solitaire... and guess what? Webviewer is gone also! Somehow the 2 program seems to be linked. Maybe all java programs are linked somehow. I downloaded the beta Webviewer again and exchanged my reg key. Now everything is fine, I have Webviewer as my default LEFT arrow application.
    Originally posted by Need
    I found another bug with JVM. Yesterday I tried to put Webviewer as default browser on the LEFT arrow key in the main display. After I replaced Web with Webviewer on Display Pref screen, I went back to the main screen and saw Solitaire as the LEFT arrow application! I went back to Display Pref screen and double checked, and it was still showing Webviewer as selected on LEFT arrow. I went back and press the left arrow, and sure enough it took me to Solitaire. So I thought maybe because Solitaire is the first java program program I installed before Webviewer, that's why it showed up instead of Webviewer. Since I don't play Solitaire, I could just delete it and maybe Webviewer will show up. I deleted Solitaire... and guess what? Webviewer is gone also! Somehow the 2 program seems to be linked. Maybe all java programs are linked somehow. I downloaded the beta Webviewer again and exchanged my reg key. Now everything is fine, I have Webviewer as my default LEFT arrow application.
    I'm curious: Did you install both webviewer and solitaire PRC files in the same HotSynC session, and do you by any chance have Uninstall Manager on your device?
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    I followed the instructions posted by elysian9 in page 2 of this thread. I installed Solitaire along with JVM and one other ebook document type of application in the same Hotsync. After I tested out JVM is working by running Solitaire, I installed Webviewer in the next Hotsync. And no, I don't have any Uninstall Management program on my treo. I am using the Treo default application launcher menu to delete Solitaire. It is very strange. Maybe Treo has problems separating the java applications? Anyway, I don't think this has anything to do with Webviewer, just an observation on the beta JVM while playing with Webviewer. I hope we don't have to do a firmware update for the release JVM to work right.
    Originally posted by Need
    Same exact thing happened to me. I installed them separately, but Solitaire first. When I deleted Solitaire it deleted ReqW, too. Oh well, as of yet there are no other JAVA programs I want to run, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by sbono13

are you using the graffiti 1 or graffiti 2 libraries? the instructions you reference above is the graffiti 1 stroke for underscore. can you write the underscore in another application (eg, memo pad)? If you have graffiti 1 installed, you can go to keyboard help from the menus in most applications (eg, memo pad) and the on screen display there will show you the strokes for most graffiti 1 characters (including underscore).

If you don't have G1 installed, I found that G2 support with graffiti anywhere is pretty inconsistent on the treo 600. Good luck
    You're right, I don't have G1. I'll install them and try again.

Thanks,
    --Mathew
    I deleted Solitaire... and guess what? Webviewer is gone also!
    For those that have experienced this problem, think back to when you used the JARtoPRC.EXE file. You'll notice at the bottom, it asks for a Creator ID. If you read the Help section from within the program, it says that the Creator ID is a "unique 4-character ID that the Palm OS uses to group an application and its data files together. Think of it like a MAC address or a SS# -- no two are supposed to be alike.

So theoretically, if I save all of my java-prc apps without a creator ID (or with the same ID), when I delete one I am possibly deleting them all.

Ok, so you say to yourself "Self, I'm going to pick an ID like KLON or a68k." Well, now you run the risk of deleting Klondike or a slew of other apps that also use the a68k ID.

I see the potential for a huge problem if Palm doesn't address this issue in some way, because then people will either not assign one or pick one that may already be used by another app.

My suggestion would be for Palm to block out a group of IDs (ex. j001, j002, j003, ja01, jb01, etc.) and essentially discouraging developers from using an ID beginning with j (if none have been assigned so far).

I'm not entirely sure on the intricacies of the ID schema as administered by Palm, but I am sure of the potential problem.
    I see what you mean. I never actually used the JARtoPRC.EXE program. I downloaded the PRC program posted here. This makes sense. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    well for now, it might be a good idea to use a file manager (filez, mcfile, etc) to delete individual prc files instead of the applications/delete menu.
    I have just installed the latest (I beleive) WebViewer from here
    http://www.reqwireless.com/test/treo600/WebViewer.prc

This version does not support frames and HTPPS, i.e. I cannot access my bank's web site (they are both using HTTPS and frames).

Any version of WebViewer that can do this?
    I just installed the new J2ME Beta2 runtime available from PalmOne and converted the Reqwireless Webviewer to prc. Now the 5-way nav works with menus. Https does not work, but I think that is because I only had the early version of the jar file. This is a big improvement in useability. Reqwireless should be able to take advantage of this right away.
    what about the "underscore" issue; does it work fine with J2ME Beta 2 ?
    Last edited by koros; 02/21/2004 at 11:35 PM.
    Originally posted by koros
    what about the "underscore" issue; does it work fine with J@ME Beta 2 ?
    The underscore issue is not resolved. The "alt" key no longer drops you out of the program but it also doesn't bring up the drop down list either. When I press the alt key after a dash, instead of bringing up the drop down list it just prints a question mark.

I can confirm that the 5-way now works in the menus.

BTW, know that if you install the beta you'll have to re-register ReqW, which also means all your cookies are gone.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    It's not necessary to convert the original ReqW jar file using the Beta2 J2ME. The 3.2.6 ReqW beta works fine as is, but now you can navigate the drop down menus with the nav-pad. I've noticed a couple of differences with Beta2. The text/image formatting on the screen takes up more real-estate than the prior java version. Hopefully, this can be fixed by ReqW. Also, to get to the bottom of a page, you now need to push the "c" key, rather than the "b" key.
    Is there a keyboard key that goes "back?" Right now you have to go to menu then navigation then back.
    treopazzo

Where did you get the newest version of the beta java? I thought I had it from palmone. It was February 20th release. The navigation still doesn't work with the menus on mine. Thanks
    jayzee, I'm using the Feb 20 version from palmone as well. Maybe it didn't install properly. Regarding a "back" key, I haven't found one.
    treopazzo.
    How did you install it? I just did a hotsync to install it. Are you using any other files? I just installed the one file from the arm folder.
    Originally posted by treopazzo
    I just installed the new J2ME Beta2 runtime available from PalmOne and converted the Reqwireless Webviewer to prc. Now the 5-way nav works with menus. Https does not work, but I think that is because I only had the early version of the jar file. This is a big improvement in useability. Reqwireless should be able to take advantage of this right away.
    treopazzo,

I believe Reqwireless had HTTPS working long before the release of the J2ME beta 2 runtime. I also installed the beta 2 JVM runtime, and HTTPS is still working for me. I initially had some problems accessing secure pages. I went into the WebViewer settings and checked the "identify as MSIE" checkbox, and that seemed to fix it.

I agree with you that toolbar menu navigation with the 5-way button has greatly improved.

I noticed the new JVM makes any java app seeking an http/https connection display a "user permission check" prompt once per browsing session, posing the following question to the user:

"Can <JavaApp> use airtime to send or receive via an http connection until <JavaApp> terminates?" (where <JavaApp> = WebViewer)

Are you getting this prompt while using WebViewer?

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 02/22/2004 at 10:55 AM.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast