Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 214
  1. #61  
    For those who haven't experienced the difference in speed: I just tested Blazer (which works pretty well at my house - 2 bars, tested at 75 kbs) on MSNBC.com, a large, graphic-laden site, to be sure. It took approx 3 minutes to download, during which time it was virtually unreadable, because text doesn't display much faster than graphics.

    Webviewer finished displaying text virtually faster than I could scroll down (approx 12 sec) and finished graphics completely - 256 kb, mind you - in less than 35 seconds.

    Just amazing.
  2. #62  
    I was impressed enough with this application after running the trial that I registered the application tonight. Definetely worth a look for users that haven't tried it yet, by all means install the trial and test drive it for yourself.

    Originally posted by Bujin
    For those who haven't experienced the difference in speed: I just tested Blazer (which works pretty well at my house - 2 bars, tested at 75 kbs) on MSNBC.com, a large, graphic-laden site, to be sure. It took approx 3 minutes to download, during which time it was virtually unreadable, because text doesn't display much faster than graphics.

    Webviewer finished displaying text virtually faster than I could scroll down (approx 12 sec) and finished graphics completely - 256 kb, mind you - in less than 35 seconds.

    Just amazing.
    No good deed goes unpunished
  3. #63  
    FWIW, I'm consistently getting >300 kbps speeds from the 200k test on:

    http://text.broadbandreports.com/mspeed
  4. #64  
    I topped out at close to 400kps at that sight... once I realized that the speed you click the "click here" actually determines the speed calculated, I found that I consistently maxed out the test.

    Did I mention that I really like this browser?
  5. #65  
    Guys I don't think these numbers are accurate, since the proxy servers are presumably caching.

    In any case, I love this broswer. I'm amazed at how will it displays full size pages. I registered and it is now my default browser. When I had my T300 I used EudoraWeb (a text-only browser) b/c it was so much faster than Blazer. This browser has similar speeds--with graphics!

    To deal with the bookmarks problem: I created a page on my website that has my most used links. So now that's my only bookmark in ReqWireless, and I just go there. I have been really pleased by how interested the RW people seem to be in optimizing this browser for the Treo. Time will tell, but it's already definately worth $20; going back to Blazer is a terrible pain.

    I think we need to spread the word amongst other Treo users--this could be a killer app for the T600.

    Regards,
    --Mathew
  6. sbono13's Avatar
    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    #66  
    I had registered and used this browser on my old sprint phone, a Sanyo 5300 that had Java. I'd say that web browsing with this browser is about twice as fast on the Treo600, with faster start up times (the 5300 had to "start" java every time i launched a java program). Nice to see that 144 MHz processor in action!

    I was always happy with the pace of development over there at req wireless and their responsiveness to any issues that arise. It's great to be able to use it again on my new Treo. I should mention that secure websites worked great on my old Sanyo, as did the bookmark organization.
  7. #67  
    On a somewhat related note: I had to hard reset yesterday to solve an unrelated issue, and the JVM wasn't restored properly by BackUpBuddy. WebViewer (and other apps) crashed the Treo immediately after startup. I fixed it by deleting all the J9 files and reinstalling the JVM.

    WebViewer is running again now but I lost all bookmarks and my registration, as the key will only work once for registering. However it's easy to exchange your registration key for a new one by following the link that is included in the original registration key.

    Would be nice if somebody could work out which files include what in the JVM and WebViewer files on the Treo.
  8. #68  
    I have been browsing the full ebay site with webviewer and so far everything seems to work great! I have not tried to bid on any auction yet, but everything else is so much faster. The best part is that I can start scrolling almost as soon as it started loading. The full size image is great for looking at the item's details. I have not gone to blazer since I started using it, but blazer is going to be a good backup for things I can't do in webviewer.
  9. #69  
    This browser has great promise! Love the speed. Just want https to work, and I'll throw Blazer away.

    Has anyone played around with the cache settings yet? If so, please post your experiences.

    Thx.

    aolumide
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
  10. #70  
    I tried setting the cache to 10 pages but after a short time, I received an "out of memory" error so I put it back to 0... Would be interested in what others found out, too.
  11. #71  
    Originally posted by work2fish
    I tried setting the cache to 10 pages but after a short time, I received an "out of memory" error so I put it back to 0... Would be interested in what others found out, too.
    Did the same 10 pages (see my post above) and got the same out of memory. I was going to try 3 pages, but haven't got a chance yet. The other complain I have is that the Back button requires 3 clicks or 3 presses of hard button, I wonder if there is a faster way to do Back.
  12. #72  
    Originally posted by Need


    Did the same 10 pages (see my post above) and got the same out of memory. I was going to try 3 pages, but haven't got a chance yet. The other complain I have is that the Back button requires 3 clicks or 3 presses of hard button, I wonder if there is a faster way to do Back.
    I volunteered to do some debug testing for ReqW and this is one of the first things I told them about. I don't know what, if anything, they're going to do about it, but they know about it. They "promised" a more Treo-optimized version in a few days. I'll let people know when/if it's available. Nonetheless, I'm registered and a happy user even as it stands--with https it would be my only browser.

    Best,
    --Mathew
  13. #73  
    I just had an interesting problem pop up while using the browser. Since the bookmarks aren't quite up to par, I created a web page on my Earthlink site with simple list of my bookmarks. When you create an Earthlink personal web, it looks something like this:
    http:\\home.earthlink.net\~username
    When I try to enter the tilde [~], I get sent out of the webviewer app! For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get that one little character entered in a bookmark!

    Any suggestions?
  14. #74  
    Hmmm. I just saw the posting where "Migs" had the same issue, but with the undescore character. It sounds like the "Alt" key on the Treo is the issue. I was ready to purchase this browser until I realized I couldn't get to my home page!
  15. #75  
    Originally posted by ksmith80209
    I just had an interesting problem pop up while using the browser. Since the bookmarks aren't quite up to par, I created a web page on my Earthlink site with simple list of my bookmarks. When you create an Earthlink personal web, it looks something like this:
    http:\\home.earthlink.net\~username
    When I try to enter the tilde [~], I get sent out of the webviewer app! For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get that one little character entered in a bookmark!

    Any suggestions?
    If you have web access to your email, then send yourself an email with the link to your homepage, then log in to your email using WebViewer, follow the link and bookmark it.

    Had to do the same thing to get to a URL with a zero in it...
  16. #76  
    Mol -

    Godd idea, but I didn't know you could set the Webviewer as the default browser in order to get Snapper to use it vs Blazer to open the link. Have you gotten this to work? If so, I love to get the details!

    Also - how did you add a bookmark from the page (vs. typing it in)? I haven't figured that out either...

    Thx!
  17. #77  
    Also - I tried logging into my mail via web access, but since the webviewer can't do https, no luck there...
  18. #78  
    Originally posted by ksmith80209
    Mol -

    Godd idea, but I didn't know you could set the Webviewer as the default browser in order to get Snapper to use it vs Blazer to open the link. Have you gotten this to work? If so, I love to get the details!
    Can't help you with that. I'm having the same problem.


    Also - how did you add a bookmark from the page (vs. typing it in)? I haven't figured that out either...
    Hit the Menu key and then tap Add Bookmark with your stylus or finger - scrolling a menu isn't working.
  19. sbono13's Avatar
    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    #79  
    Originally posted by ksmith80209
    Hmmm. I just saw the posting where "Migs" had the same issue, but with the undescore character. It sounds like the "Alt" key on the Treo is the issue. I was ready to purchase this browser until I realized I couldn't get to my home page!
    Yeah, it looks like the alt character is screwy with webviewer. Another porblem seems to be that grafitti anywhere also doesn't seem to work while in webviewer, so i can't even graffiti the tilde in...
  20. #80  
    slightly off topic, so sorry in advance.
    what is the difference between a www and an http website?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions