Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My name is Roger Skubowius, owner of Reqwireless.

I was pleasantly surprised to be told of alot of very-recent interest in our Java products (especially WebViewer) in the last day/2 on the Treo 600 -- this interest seems to have primarily begun from this forum. It has also alerted us to a number of issues with our products on the Treo 600, namely HTTPS support, a bookmark issue and interest having a scrollbar added to our browser. I'd like to quickly address these issues to let you know how we're proceeding on dealing with them:

HTTPS: We're looking into this now. The issue can be one or many factors with the Treo 600, the J9 implementation on the Treo, WebViewer, our proxy servers, more. I'd ask for your patience while we investigate this issue, is non-trivial, especially when we don't have a Treo 600 to play with at the moment. If you are interested in helping us debug this issue, please feel free to contact me at rog@reqwireless.com

Scrollbar support: We don't anticipate adding a scrollbar control to the browser in the immediate future. To learn about various ways to scroll a page using WebViewer, please select the 'Users Guide' menu item in WebViewer and review the 'Navigation' section.

Bookmarks: This is something we're looking into now.

If you have- or- will purchase WebViewer, upgraded versions are at no charge.

We all@Reqwireless appreciate the interest you've taken in our products and will post in this forum once we discover progress to the above issues. If you have any questions/concerns, please feel free to contact me.
    Originally posted by Reqwireless
    My name is Roger Skubowius, owner of Reqwireless.

I was pleasantly surprised to be told of alot of very-recent interest in our Java products (especially WebViewer) in the last day/2 on the Treo 600 -- this interest seems to have primarily begun from this forum. It has also alerted us to a number of issues with our products on the Treo 600, namely HTTPS support, a bookmark issue and interest having a scrollbar added to our browser. I'd like to quickly address these issues to let you know how we're proceeding on dealing with them:

HTTPS: We're looking into this now. The issue can be one or many factors with the Treo 600, the J9 implementation on the Treo, WebViewer, our proxy servers, more. I'd ask for your patience while we investigate this issue, is non-trivial, especially when we don't have a Treo 600 to play with at the moment. If you are interested in helping us debug this issue, please feel free to contact me at rog@reqwireless.com

Scrollbar support: We don't anticipate adding a scrollbar control to the browser in the immediate future. To learn about various ways to scroll a page using WebViewer, please select the 'Users Guide' menu item in WebViewer and review the 'Navigation' section.

Bookmarks: This is something we're looking into now.

If you have- or- will purchase WebViewer, upgraded versions are at no charge.

We all@Reqwireless appreciate the interest you've taken in our products and will post in this forum once we discover progress to the above issues. If you have any questions/concerns, please feel free to contact me.
    Roger,

Hopefully, you'll recall the heated e-mail exchange between myself and you earlier today, the details of which I have decided, in the interest of letting by-gones be by-gones, not to disseminate within the forum.

As one who genuinely likes your WebViewer product (plus I've paid for it), I'm definitely interested in participating in the debugging process. You already have my e-mail address. Let me know how I can help. I'm sure others here in the TC fold would probably like to participate too.

aolumide
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Migs, perhaps I'm missing something, but I Hotsynced "J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc" to my Palm and I can see it on the Application-->Info page but I don't see any icon to run it (the installer part of it or whatnot), do I need to "do" anything once I hotsynced the file or will it just work as is?

Thanks!
    Ix
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ixtab
    Migs, perhaps I'm missing something, but I Hotsynced "J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc" to my Palm and I can see it on the Application-->Info page but I don't see any icon to run it (the installer part of it or whatnot), do I need to "do" anything once I hotsynced the file or will it just work as is?

Thanks!
    Ix
    I tried to transfer the prc file from my sd card to the treo and that didn't work... the installer did not "run" and was actually hidden. Even after i unhid it with filez, tapping the installer icon would not do anything. Ultimately, i had to hotsync the file from my PC, and the installer ran automatically. Now i have three files on my treo: j9 java VM (671 K), j9 java VM installer (3K), and j9 MIDP bundle (846 K).

Not sure what to do if you really did hotsync it over and the file still did not auto-run. Try again?
    Last edited by sbono13; 02/14/2004 at 03:19 AM.
    A quick update to my original post this is now working as it should. The demo version is working again without any problems.
    ----------------------------------------------
    When I run the 3.2 trial version of Webviewer I'm receiving the following error message:

Error
    This trial version of WebViewer is no longer available. Purchase the full version of this product at
    www.reqwireless.com/buy using your home or office desktop browser for unlimited usage.

Anyone else...........Is there a newer version of the trial?
    Last edited by Prismatic; 02/13/2004 at 10:55 PM.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Originally posted by sbono13

I tried to transfer the prc file from my sd card to the treo and that didn't work... the installer did not "run" and was actually hidden. Even after i unhid it with filez, tapping the installer icon would not do anything. Ultimately, i had to hotsync the file from my PC, and the installer ran automatically. Now i have three files on m hy treo: j9 java VM (671 K), j9 java VM installer (3K), and j9 MIDP bundle (846 K).

Not sure what to do if you really did hotsync it over and the file still did not auto-run. Try again?
    It's all a bit confusing, because there is more than one J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc file

Try this:

(Make sure you have the correct ZIP from the right d/l page; there's more than one.)

1. In "prc/ARM"... find the "J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc"

2. In "prc/IA32"... find "midp20.prc".

3. In /samples ... find "Solitaire.prc".

4. Hotsync these 3 prc files. You will probably get a soft reset after install and 'cleaning up' is finished. That's OK. You do not need to 'run' any 'installer.

(thanks to zgraff for help on this: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...c&pagenumber=2)

5. Install WebViewer.

Good luck. It's about twice as fast Blazer on my GSM T-Mobile, though still not a 'finished' browser.

Some users are reeporting that they only need the main file. I needed all three to get it working.
    Thanks to all who turned me on to this java and Webviewer app. This thing is smoking fast. In addition to the complaints others have posted (no cursor movement in menus, bookmark probs, etc.) I've come across a problem that has not been mentioned. In my office, I get a sporadic Sprint signal, and when the signal fades and Webviewer is trying to access a page, it prompts the phone to connect to vision, but the signal isn't strong enough and it can't. Then when it times out, it immediately attempts to connect again, and I can't stop it nor am I able to leave the program. This goes on indefinitely until either it connects to vision and goes to the page or I perform a soft reset. Anyone else run into this? Guess I should email the company and let them know, unless there is some way to stop the page from trying to load.

I just have to point out again how incredibly fast this is--it's what I've been waiting for in a handheld browser. Can't wait till the bugs are worked out.
    I have to say I'm sick of shelling out money for a $600 device that should have come with everything including a Swiss Army knife to begin with, but damn, this thing's almost as fast as my Roadrunner high speed internet connection!

I really don't want to shell out an additional $20 for a browser, but if they can get the bugs worked out for the Treo, I'd say this is worth it.

The Secure site thing is a big issue for me, 'cause I use the Treo now to pay bills online (and check my bank account) when I'm away.

Bookmarks is a deal too. BUt if they can fix this stuff, I'm very tempted...
    I have to say I'm sick of shelling out money for a $600 device that should have come with everything including a Swiss Army knife to begin with, but damn, this thing's almost as fast as my Roadrunner high speed internet connection!

I really don't want to shell out an additional $20 for a browser, but if they can get the bugs worked out for the Treo, I'd say this is worth it.

The Secure site thing is a big issue for me, 'cause I use the Treo now to pay bills online (and check my bank account) when I'm away.

Bookmarks is a deal too. BUt if they can fix this stuff, I'm very tempted...
    I just tried out Webviewer for an hour or so, and here is a short review:

The trial version has limited number of pages to visit per day, so you really don't get to play with it too long on the first day. I ended up paying for it because the speed does seem impressive.

First of all, it is fast like other said. I estimate that it is about twice as fast as blazer on the heavy graphic pages. A 200k page will load up in less than 10 seconds on Sprint. The page is formated well and very easy to read. I like it that when I go to read google's group, I don't have to scroll side way to read the message. On blazer, the text will go pass to the right and I have to scroll to the right on every single line, making it very difficult to read. With webviewer, every page I visisted so far has the text wrapped to the next line. There is no full page view, but there is a full image view. You could use the 4 ways to select any image and change it to full size. This is very nice on mapquest. Once the map is full size, you can use the 4 ways to move around.

The no scroll bar part took a bit getting use to. To scroll you have to find a place on the page without any link and then tap and drag. In one way, it is easier than trying to aim for the tiny thin scroll bar, but if the page is filled with a huge image (with link), you will have to use the right arrow to move down. The missing scroll bar is also bad if you want to get to the bottom of a very long page. I just press and hold and hold the right button.

The bookmark is not working very well like the others said. And I cannot get to hotmail.com. It says something about this page requires Javascript support. I am guessing maybe the beta java runtime does not support javascript or webviewer does not work well with the beta runtime. The other thing is that I am having difficulty getting to some pages.. like the Yahoo TV listing. It would let me get to the local TV listing. I would enter my zip code, and it will take me to page to pick a cable company. I pick the cable company and it will take back to the zip code page. It is like the cookie is not working, but the cooke works on some of the other website.

Anyway, this is not a full review, but more like a first impression. The pro is I really like the speed, page formatting, and full image capability. I did not like that I cannot get to all the pages I could visit on blazer.
    Well, finally tried and am definitely impressed with the speed! Hopefully Roger Skubowius of Reqwireless will release a Treo600 version (i.e. scroll bar pulease! ) This is a very nice alternative for speedy viewing of non=mobile formated sites. Also, I had to chage the port settings to make it work on my Treo fyi...

Also, I previously mentioned the apparent availability of various Java games for the Treo600!

http://www.phonegames4u.com/phones/H...ingTreo600.php

Has anyone tried any of these! I would love to buy a few of these but want to make sure they could work via the workaround discussed here!

Cheers!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Is it possible to change the default browser from Blazer to Webviewer?
    Originally posted by Need

The missing scroll bar is also bad if you want to get to the bottom of a very long page. I just press and hold and hold the right button.
    You can use T to immediately move to the top of a web page and B to move to the bottom. The User's Guide says to use B and C, respectively, but this is not the case for me (T and B are easier to remember, anyway). It also mentions the use of A and D to scroll up or down one pixel on the page, but this does not work for me at all. I tried all the letter keys and could not find one that had this functionality. BTW, I also agree with a previous poster that it would be more natural to use the UP/DOWN rocker buttons to scroll in a page and the LEFT/RIGHT buttons to move between web links.

I wonder about the actual savings in bytes transferred. Clearly, there is some preprocessing being done to speed things up. This should reduce some of the per byte charges for those of us not on an unlimited data plan.

Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by work2fish; 02/15/2004 at 10:35 AM.
    Duh. I just figured out that an uppercase A and uppercase D will indeed scroll the page up and down a pixel at a time. So you can do it, but you need to have the caps lock on or press shift each time. Also, the uppercase B and C function as they are described in the User's Guide. Uppercase T also moves you to the top.

How about instead:

u - move one pixel up
    d - move one pixel down
    t - move to the top of the page
    b - move to the bottom of the page

Mike
    Last edited by work2fish; 02/15/2004 at 11:22 AM.
    Originally posted by work2fish

You can use T to immediately move to the top of a web page and B to move to the bottom. The User's Guide says to use B and C, respectively, but this is not the case for me (T and B are easier to remember, anyway). It also mentions the use of A and D to scroll up or down one pixel on the page, but this does not work for me at all. I tried all the letter keys and could not find one that had this functionality. BTW, I also agree with a previous poster that it would be more natural to use the UP/DOWN rocker buttons to scroll in a page and the LEFT/RIGHT buttons to move between web links.

I wonder about the actual savings in bytes transferred. Clearly, there is some preprocessing being done to speed things up. This should reduce some of the per byte charges for those of us not on an unlimited data plan.

Regards,
    Mike
    I'm not really sure why everyone says they need a scroll bar. It scrolls just fine by dragging the stylus up and down the screen.
    Originally posted by wcarlson40

I'm not really sure why everyone says they need a scroll bar. It scrolls just fine by dragging the stylus up and down the screen.
    But as Need said, this is a problem when there are links all over the page and it is even worse when the link is a large image. You end up accidentally touching a link with the stylus when you intended to scroll...
    I'm also not sure of the need for a scroll bar. You have 'up' and 'down' to scroll between links, 'left' and 'right' for paging up and down, and 'b' and 't' for page bottom and top, respectively.

IMO, that will pretty much cover my web reading needs.
    I think the scroll bar thing is more habit than need. It is nice to see which position to the page relative to the window. Thanks for the tip on 't' and 'b', those helps a lot. I think the other keys 'a', 'd', etc.. are for moving in a full a size image. I also agree that it would be better to have the up and down arrows as scroll up and down instead of the left and right ones. But I guess it is because I am used to how blazer works.

Anyone got hotmail to work yet? Fastmail works great which is my main webmail, but if I could get hotmail and TV listing to work, I don't have to go back to use blazer!

By the way, I did some more speed tests, and it seems Webviewer is 'at least' 2 times faster on big pages. On some cases, a page would take blazer about 35 seconds to completely load, but it takes only 12 sec on webviewer.

Have anyone try using the "page cache" optoin? I put it to 10 pages with 15 meg of free memory. But without about 3 or 4 web access I got the out of memory error already. I changed it back to 0. I will try to lower it to 3 or 4 and try again.
    Originally posted by migs
    The only complaint i have is that i have not been able to type an _ underscore when i try to press the alt button on the treo it just gets me out of the app and send me to the phone part. If any one can figure it out the underscore _ please let me know.
    I noted exactly the same thing yesterday - it's particularly annoying when trying to enter a URL that contains an underscore. And since you can't copy/paste from other apps, that doesn't help either.

I even thought about emailing URLs to my own inbox - but you can't set WebViewer as your browser in Snapper.
    I must Bump.

BUMP
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast