Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    After speaking with Tech Support at Reqwireless, they explained that HTTPS is a function of the device, not the application. The WebViewer application sends a request to the T600 for the SSL handler and, if the device does not have one or if the one present is malformed, then you won't be able to access secure sites.

He said that he just started getting a bunch of calls about a day or two ago specifically about the T600, so he needs to have some time to research the issues. Since they are a Java shop and not a Palm shop, he doesn't readily have a T600 at his disposal. But he assured me that once he is able to obtain a T600 and work with the Java component, these problems should be resolved.

Also, he mentioned that maybe the Java component doesn't have SSL yet since it is still in the BETA phase.

However, their e-mail client does support IMAP and folder subscription (which SnapperMail doesn't yet). So, theoretically, it should work on the T600 (unless you click a link to a secure site, of course).

Just thought I would pass along the info.
    Originally posted by migs
    Ill try my best to explain this set up
    1> Login to PalmOne developer website at

http://pluggedin.palmone.com/regac/pluggedin/login.jsp

2> Click on "java" on the navigation column on the left.

3> Under "downloads", click on "Download Now".

4> Download the "WebSphere Micro Environment Toolkit for Palm OS" for ARM processor.

5> Unzip the file.

6> Under "prc\ARM", you will find the "J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc". Hotsync that.

7> on your computer go to http://www.reqwireless.com/webviewer.html
    go to download now then download jar
    file. you may need to unzip cant remember

8> open the websphere micro enviroment folder, theres another folder in there named "bin" in that one there an app named " jartoprc " double click and app will open
    for more instruction read " User guide-arm"

9> as soon as you covert it hotsync it
    when you get it to work make sure webviewer advanced settings is set to port 8080. Dont for get to add www in url entry. i just bookmarked google works best! good luck

Okay, I followed the directions above but never received the WebSphere Micro download file from Palmone via email, so I paid the $5.99 and downloaded it from Handango. I'm not sure if this is a different file, but I received the following:

j9_vm_bundle
    java demo
    midp21

I did not find a folder named "bin" to convert any files to prc and cannot find an app named "jartoprc"

Did I make a mistake getting the file from Handango since it seems different from what was stated above?

I'm not sure what else to do if Palmone doesn't email me the file.
    Amazing speed with Orange GPRS France! Definitely faster than WebProV and the 5-way support is much better.

Note that the 8080 port doesn't work for me. It would go to "Contacting Server" and freeze my Treo. Switched it back to 80 and now it's working fine.
    Originally posted by Need
    Can someone explain the "no scroll bar" comment? The screen is so small if you don't have a scrollbar, does it mean you only see the top of the web page?
    Yes you can only see the top; you can scroll, there just isn't a scroll bar to tell you how far down the page you've gone.

So up/down on the 5-way go link to link (like Tab on a desktop) while left/right on the 5-way scrolls a page down (like page up/down on a PC).

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by nobodyspecial
    After speaking with Tech Support at Reqwireless, they explained that HTTPS is a function of the device, not the application. The WebViewer application sends a request to the T600 for the SSL handler and, if the device does not have one or if the one present is malformed, then you won't be able to access secure sites.

He said that he just started getting a bunch of calls about a day or two ago specifically about the T600, so he needs to have some time to research the issues. Since they are a Java shop and not a Palm shop, he doesn't readily have a T600 at his disposal. But he assured me that once he is able to obtain a T600 and work with the Java component, these problems should be resolved.

Also, he mentioned that maybe the Java component doesn't have SSL yet since it is still in the BETA phase.

However, their e-mail client does support IMAP and folder subscription (which SnapperMail doesn't yet). So, theoretically, it should work on the T600 (unless you click a link to a secure site, of course).

Just thought I would pass along the info.
    nobodyspecial,

Thanks for the FYI. Being a Java enthusiast, I bought the full blown version for $19.99, and when I noticed the https issue, I e-mailed the Reqwireless web support dept, and they haven't even had the decency to reply to a registered user.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    aolumide,

Umm... how long ago did you email them. I emailed them last night just to let them know about this thread and got a reply this morning thanking me, to the same effect (the SSL issue probably was with the Palm JVM).

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    aolumide,

Umm... how long ago did you email them. I emailed them last night just to let them know about this thread and got a reply this morning thanking me, to the same effect (the SSL issue probably was with the Palm JVM).

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Mathew,

I e-mailed them yesterday evening at approximatly 5:30pm EST. I never got a reply.

rgds,

aolumide
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    http://www.reqwireless.com/demo-webviewer.html

They have an online Java demo of this browser and their email program (which also works on the Treo). So you can play with it in your desktop web browser to get of sense of what it's like. I think it replicates the Treo experience reasonably well. The arrow buttons on the demo function like the 5-way. We don't have the buttons just below the "screen"; instead on the Treo these become screen buttons, which can also be selected with the 5-way. This browser seems really well suited to the Treo 5-way, almost as much as Blazer. The only problems I see so far--you can't use the 5-way within the menus to go up/down. Also it resets when using the Correct Hack auto-text hack (with TealMaster). Finally, unfortunately, there are no keyboard shortcuts for navigations, e.g. :menu: B to go back. Other than that, this looks like a winner, especially when/if the SSL issue gets straightened out.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Last edited by mathewlu; 02/13/2004 at 10:58 AM.
    Is this a MAC thing? I managed to convert it to a ZIP file, but the extracted files are all CLASS files and PNG files. NO PRCs. Anyone?
    Since the demo is freely available is there any problem with posting it here? If so, the moderators can just take it down. Here is the converted PRC; just go into the advanced settings and change it to use port 8080. You still need to get the runtime from palmOne.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Thanks. I get a soft reset when trying to launch it. I installed the java stuff from Palmone, but those files are:

j9_vm_bundle.prc
    Java Demo.prc
    midp21.prc

The JavaDemo also causes a soft reset.
    Originally posted by elysian9

Thanks. I get a soft reset when trying to launch it. I installed the java stuff from Palmone, but those files are:

j9_vm_bundle.prc
    Java Demo.prc
    midp21.prc

The JavaDemo also causes a soft reset.
    I don't know where you got those files; the one you were supposed to hotsync is called "J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc" in the /ARM directory.

Regards,
    --Mathew

I don't know where you got those files; the one you were supposed to hotsync is called "J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc" in the /ARM directory.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    I went here:

Click on "java" on the navigation column on the left.

3> Under "downloads", click on "Download Now".

4> Download the "WebSphere Micro Environment Toolkit for Palm OS" for ARM processor.

Java d/l takes me to a d/l zip file that does not contain J9JavaVMMidpNG.prc. Only the ones I mentioned. Since I am registered, maybe just email it to me? elysium@pacbell.net. Or possibly direct me to the correct d/l site? TIA.

Update: Tried to buy it. They took my CC and then forwarded me to the d/l page, which was blank, tried it again. Blank. Now they've got my $ 2X!
    Last edited by elysian9; 02/13/2004 at 11:27 AM.
    Ok, everyone having a problem downloading the correct Java version for the T600 - LISTEN UP!!!

1. Goto http://www.palmone.com/java
    2. Click Join Now! on left hand navigation
    3. Fill out and submit the application for access to the Developer content
    4. Check your e-mail for the username and password
    5. Go back to the website mentioned in step 1
    6. Click on Member Login on left hand navigation and log-in
    7. Click on Java on left hand navigation
    8. Notice the NEW link to Download Now listed under the Developer side (NOT the end user side).
    9. Follow the rest of the instructions per earlier posts in this thread.

If you would've done a search for the Java filename you're supposed install, only 2 posts show up (this one and another one). If you read the other post, you would've been able to put the pieces together.

I know we're all excited, but let's not forget the basics!
    Thanks to everyone who offered their help!

I got all the files I needed and Webviewer up & running. It really is a fast browser, much better than Blazer for sure!

Seems that Palmone had me registered but I never got their email letting me know my password, so I just requested a new one and I was good to go after they sent it to me.

You guys are great!
    FYI -

I have just received confirmation that Reqwireless has downloaded the developer kit and simualtor, and that they are currently working with it.

Pretty good response time IMHO.
    Just registered and now I want to copy my bookmarks from Blazer&WebProV to WebViewer. Has anybody found a workaround for the lack of copy/paste? Or is it the java sandbox that will prevent this?
    Installed and working.

I would love to customize the 5-way. Here's my ideal setup. Up scrolls up, down scrolls down, left = "back" and right skips through the hyperlinks. I really use the "back" feature of browsers a lot (espcially reading forums).

Interesting product though...
    Anyone else notice that when you go to www.google.com, you are sent to Google/Canada (where reqwireless is also based)? The preprocessing they do is described here:

http://www.reqwireless.com/about_tec...#KeyAdvantages

I wonder if this will create any problems from web sites expecting a US (or other country) origination...

BTW, I would also like a scrollbar. You can scroll with the stylus by scraping up and down on the screen, but it is easy to inadvertently hit a web link and, besides, that defeats the purpose of the 5 way button.

Regards,
    Last edited by work2fish; 02/13/2004 at 05:04 PM.
    You are right, it goes like sh*t off a shovel, but the lack of scroll is a bug*er, and since I am on a cra* Orange plan which charges me for <3meg downloads I cannot see how much I am downloading.. and that is not a great crit, as I cannot see it coz it goes so fast! Fantastic beta... java for palm... yahoozi! for any other apps, I am prepared to go back to blazer for mundane stuff... BIG thanks for the simplistic instructions on how to download, that is how I like to find things in TC. Good stuff!
    PS
    being in the UK, when I log to Google.co.uk that is where I am taken... not Canada. but have to 'tap' the box to enter search dialogue, which is no problem, having had a 270
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    This is migs once again hope all you guys were as impressed as i was with webviewer. Like i said before i used this app on my old sanyo pcs phone for over a year now. Anyway what I would like to point out regarding the scroll feature there is a faster way to scroll the the web pages, by either press left or right on the five way nav pad it will scroll a page at time rather than per link. Also if you press the # sign it will bring you all the way down to the end of the web page, like wise the number 3 will bring it back up to the top faster than scrolling IMO. When navigating if you feel some of the material your viewing is being cut off press and hold the number 4 repeadedly and it will move a couple of pixels at a time. In webviewer's user's manual list these short cuts and others but not all of them work correctly or are the right number. The only complaint i have is that i have not been able to type an _ underscore when i try to press the alt button on the treo it just gets me out of the app and send me to the phone part. If any one can figure it out the underscore _ please let me know. Hope fully Reqwireless will read this and make revisions. Dont forget to properly adjust the advanced settings and cache size. Read the user's manual its actually helpful.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast