Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Does reqwireless support javascript? I went to a few sites and they said I need to have javascript enabled.
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    [B]Guys I don't think these numbers are accurate, since the proxy servers are presumably caching.
    And the proxy server is probably connected to the 'net by a really fat pipe. You end up testing the speed of the proxy server, not the handheld device. It's meaningless.

One question I have - is there, like Blazer - a way to toggle between an Optimized mode and a Widescreen mode? For sites like Mapquest, I don't really care how long it takes to load, since I want the full-resolution map available to me, not a proxy-optimized thumbnail of a map. If the proxy browser is only downloading a low-resolution version of a big image (which is why the pages load so fast) is there any way to view those images full-sized when you have the need?

Thanks.
    ...the patron saint of the easily amused...
    Originally posted by jayzee
    Does reqwireless support javascript? I went to a few sites and they said I need to have javascript enabled.
    Jayzee,

The WebViewer documentation on the ReqWireless website states the following as limitations and known issues:

Limitations and Known Issues

For Nokia 3650, 6600, 7650, N-Gage and Siemens SX-1 users with GPRS, we recommend using an Internet access point rather than a WAP access point. With an Internet access point, you must specify 0.0.0.0 as your gateway IP address. We maintain an informal list of known Internet APNs for your convenience.

Due to Java security restrictions, you cannot download and install other applications using WebViewer.

When editing a bookmark on the Motorola Accompli 008 or A388[c], the field for the bookmark's URL is not initially visible on the screen. One must scroll down (using the rocker switch) to see the URL field.

The user interface on the MIDP device may be slow to respond while WebViewer is loading images from the network.

The following features are not supported:

JavaScript
    Java applets
    Flash
    Cascading Style Sheets
    Web pages that depend on any of these features will not work with WebViewer.

Only the first frame of an animated GIF may be viewed through WebViewer. This could be considered a feature.

There is no support for right-to-left languages such as Arabic and Hebrew. All left-to-right languages are supported, provided that the device has the appropriate fonts.

rgds,

aolumide
    Last edited by aolumide; 02/25/2004 at 10:18 AM.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Originally posted by dredhead
    is there any way to view those images full-sized when you have the need?

Thanks.
    dredhead,

In WebViewer, select the image you want to expand/blow-up using the Treo's D-pad down button. Then:

Menu --> Full Image

I believe this is what you're looking for?

rgds,

aolumide
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Full image doesn't seem to work for image with large file size. I tried images with 400+k size, and it will take the time to load all 400+k but a blank page will show at the end.
    Unless they fix the fact you can't download applications and view javascript I won't be switching to web viewer. Maybe they will fix this before they release a final version for Treo. I need to be able to pay bills and most of my sites use javascript.
    I've tested the beta & it is faster, but appears to be greatly exaggerated by some. Somebody mentioned it rivaled the speed of their broadband. This is simply not the case. I went to several websites on both. One in particular, which has a lot of photos is www.foxnews.com. Blazer opened it in 2:45 and Web 1:25. This was fairly consistent with other sites - so it is about twice as fast as blazer on my end.
    Originally posted by Advance The Man
    I've tested the beta & it is faster, but appears to be greatly exaggerated by some. Somebody mentioned it rivaled the speed of their broadband. This is simply not the case. I went to several websites on both. One in particular, which has a lot of photos is www.foxnews.com. Blazer opened it in 2:45 and Web 1:25. This was fairly consistent with other sites - so it is about twice as fast as blazer on my end.
    I can also confirm that it's about 2X faster.
    www.foxnews.com took 40 sec run1 and 46 sec on run2 to load on webviewer for me. I was able to see text in 6 secs.

Blazer took 3:05 to load foxnews completely and 1 minute before I could even see any text.

Web Pro took 3:24 to load foxnews completely and 46 sec before text appeared.

Note: My times are with a cleared cache.

That's much more than 2x improvement with webviewer. I did the test at midnight, so this probably accounts for the large difference I see as compared to the other testers. The big thing for me is that I can start scrolling the text in webviewer in less than 10 sec. the other browsers basically give you nothing but blank screen for upwards of 60sec. I don't know how you guys can even stand to browse the web on Blazer or WebPro. I fall asleep before the page is viewable.

I'm using the beta2 JVM which makes webviewer somewhat slower than it was with the first beta JVM release. I benchmarked the 2 JVM's and I think I see why.

Benchmark results with Jbenchmark:
    JVM beta1: 5600
    JVM beta2: 2994

The second JVM has a reduced performance by nearly 50%. Hopefully they come out with a more optimized version of the JVM soon.

Nate

Edit: I had double buffering set. After turning this off, the beta2 JVM benchmarks at 4236, so not quite as bad as I thought, but slower than the beta1. Make sure you don't enable double buffering.
    Last edited by nswenson; 02/26/2004 at 02:14 AM.
    I have noticed a decrease in the speed with the new java app as well. Does anyone still have a copy or a link of the old beta java app before Feb 20th release? I can live without using the 5-way navigation in the menus. I don't like the connection warning in the new java app either.
    Webviewer is great, but I still cannot access https://gw.arch.com....I get an error :couldn't find trusted certificate. Reqwireless says it's the issuer of the certificate but Blazer loads it just fine. Can someone try the url for me and report back if they have any success. I've tried various settings in webviewer with poor results, and I really need this for work. Blazer gets does not work after the login page, so I can't use that.
    > Reqwireless says it's the issuer of the certificate but Blazer loads it just fine.

Reqwireless does not think self-signed certificates ae that meaningful/valid -- this site should invest in a non-free certificate to get non-trivial security.
    Well it's finally out...

Download WebViewer 3.5.2 PRC at:
    http://www.reqwireless.com/WebViewe...2/WebViewer.prc

Installation/upgrade instructions at:
    http://www.reqwireless.com/WebViewe...STALL-Treo.html

"What's New" feature list at:
    http://www.reqwireless.com/download...#whats-new-treo

For the quickest response, please post feedback to our Reqwireless forum at:
    http://www.reqwireless.com/forum
    or, send email to support@reqwireless.com

Enjoy, all...
    Thanks for your work. I've posted several times regarding your product. Despite some mixed emotions, I finally purchased it. Then I hear all about Webpro and its apparent ability to handle javascript sites while providing the same speed as Reqw. I appreciate the final Treo 600 release of your product, and the ability to final use the features that weren't working (editing bookmarks, moving bookmarks, etc.) But just too many sites, especially those that I frequent, use Javascript. Will this ever be supported by you? This is from a paying customer, so I've shown support.
    I just purchased and installed your product. Real fast - but two things...
    I can not connect to hotmail - is this possible?
    Also, on a site called sigalert.com - I go to log in with my name and password - bit there is no "go" that shows on the screen to connect. What gives?
    Thanks.
    I was just writing about the navigational abilities of Req finally working in the Treo version, but it appears I'm still having problems.

When you're looking at a bookmarked list, yuo can move items that are down the list up, but you can't move a highlighted item down the list. And any item you pick to Move to Folder will automatically default to the top item on the list. These problems basically render these features difficult to useless. Anyone else experiencing these problems in the new Treo 600 version 3.52?
    I've been trying webviewer for 2 days now. Suprisingly enough, in the trial version you are cut off after a certain number of webpages stating that the daily limit of accessed pages for the trial version has been met!!? Now what kind of trial is that? Secondly, tried to download a ringtone from treobits.com, doesn't give the option to download and save as does Blazer?! So as of right now I'm not very impressed. Any comments?
    No there isn't alot of bells and whistles as with Blazer. I can't get to some https sites that I can with Blazer. But for pure speed webviewer is ten times faster than blazer. I use both depending on my needs.
    > in the trial version you are cut off after a certain number of webpages stating that the daily limit of accessed pages for the trial version has been met!!? Now what kind of trial is that?

The current trial-limits give you 10 URLs a day for 10 days, totalling 100 URLs to trial with, likely enough to figure out if it's a product you would like to plunk your dollars down for. We used to only limit the number of days in a trial (and give you unlimited browsing for those days), but it was abused to the extent where users continued to use it unlimited for those N days, then simply unload/reload it for another N days of unlimited usage, and that abuse led us to impose a daily limit as well. Is unfortunate, but you're also getting more than what you've paid for by using the trial version for free.

> Secondly, tried to download a ringtone from treobits.com, doesn't give the option to download and save as does Blazer?! So as of right now I'm not very impressed. Any comments?

As WebViewer is a Java application, it has to operate under the security paradigm of the JVM, which does not allow access the local file system (to read/write files).
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqwireless
    We used to only limit the number of days in a trial (and give you unlimited browsing for those days), but it was abused to the extent where users continued to use it unlimited for those N days, then simply unload/reload it for another N days of unlimited usage, and that abuse led us to impose a daily limit as well.
    Ahhh, now your trial makes sense. For the Treo specific version, it may be possible to record somewhere in a Preferences entry that the trial period has already expired--so even if a user reinstalled the demo, the trial would remain expired. Snappermail does a good job of this. It might be worth the effort since it would allow you to offer a more substantial, less-frustrating trial period to potential customers.
    "Oooh oooh aaah aaah! Slap!" - MAdMoNKEY
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast