1.    #1  
    I purchased a Treo 600 from Handspring several months ago under their loyalty trade-up program from a 300. It was working great until today, when it started resetting by itself over and over. Now it turned itself off and will not reset at all. I get no response when inserting the stylus pin in the back. The battery was fully charged when this happened. I cannot access my Palm OS calendar, contacts and extensive other data. It seems dead.

And of course the phone won't work either.

Will Handspring/Palm One take care of this under warranty, or will I be shunted off to Sprintpcs?

Since it won't take a reset, I am wondering whether anyone knows of anything else I can try, to revive it?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards,

NateS
    Well try to plug it into a charger and then try to turn it on.
    I know if you purposely do a battery disconnect reset on your treo then it won't turn back on unless connected to the power source. I hope this helps. Oh Yeah, you will be sent to SCPS where if they need too will send you another one, most likely a refurb (I should know I'm on my third...)
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    yeah. A battery charge reset should do the trick.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by jfmcdowell357
    Well try to plug it into a charger and then try to turn it on.
    I know if you purposely do a battery disconnect reset on your treo then it won't turn back on unless connected to the power source. . . .
    How do I do this?

I tried just sticking the pin into the back while connected to the charger but no help. Is there another step to doing a battery reset?

Tks

NateS
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    It means that one of your applications is crashing on a reset. Try holding the five-way 'up' button in while doing a pin reset. This should get you to a point where the Treo will boot, but wireless and networking won't work. Go in using Filez and delete apps that could be the source of the trouble, like Versa Mail, any hacks, or applications that require the Treo to be reset upon installation. Once that is done, do a pin reset and see if it comes back. If that doesn't work, try a real hard reset, press and hold the wireless button (on top) and pin reset. When the Treo responds 'erase all data?' hit the up button, and see what happens.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by z3bum
    It means that one of your applications is crashing on a reset. Try holding the five-way 'up' button in while doing a pin reset. This should get you to a point where the Treo will boot, but wireless and networking won't work. Go in using Filez and delete apps that could be the source of the trouble, like Versa Mail, any hacks, or applications that require the Treo to be reset upon installation. Once that is done, do a pin reset and see if it comes back. If that doesn't work, try a real hard reset, press and hold the wireless button (on top) and pin reset. When the Treo responds 'erase all data?' hit the up button, and see what happens.
    Thanks to you, I was able to revive my Treo, but here's what I get with only the native applications installed after a hard re-set:

"An error occurred in the application you are using.

Note the error code and contact the developer of this application.
    (Sys 0505) (0, 302)

Any further suggestions?

Regards,

NateS
    OK what exactly were you doing or trying to do when you got this message? We need to know that.

Originally posted by NateS

Thanks to you, I was able to revive my Treo, but here's what I get with only the native applications installed after a hard re-set:

"An error occurred in the application you are using.

Note the error code and contact the developer of this application.
    (Sys 0505) (0, 302)

Any further suggestions?

Regards,

NateS
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by yardie
    OK what exactly were you doing or trying to do when you got this message? We need to know that.

I was mistaken last night when I said that the error occurred even though I nly had my native apps in. Even though I had Backup set to
    Do Nothing and only Hotysync'd to use Install Files to add my phone database, Hotsync apparently restored everything in my Backup folder. I on't understand why it did a restore when I did not ask for it, but it did.

So for today, I'm going to try to run my Treo with nothing on it except the built-in apps, and see whether I get that error message or not. I will report back later.

Frankly, until the suggestion of you and others above, it never entered my mind that this could have been caused by a software conflict, because I ave not added any new software to my Treo in at least a month, and use it heavily every day.

Regards,

NateS
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by NateS

I was mistaken last night when I said that the error occurred even though I nly had my native apps in. Even though I had Backup set to
    Do Nothing and only Hotysync'd to use Install Files to add my phone database, Hotsync apparently restored everything in my Backup folder. I don't understand why it did a restore when I did not ask for it, but it did.

So for today, I'm going to try to run my Treo with nothing on it except the built-in apps, and see whether I get that error message or not. I will report back later.

Frankly, until the suggestion of you and others above, it never entered my mind that this could have been caused by a software conflict, because I have not added any new software to my Treo in at least a month, and use it heavily every day.

Regards,

NateS
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by z3bum
    My sincere thanks to both z3bum and yardie for saving me from an unnecessary replacement of my Treo with your sound advice.

Following that advice, reviving my Treo and then starting with only the native apps and adding others one by one, I was able to isolate and eliminate the problem.

I was surprised to find that it reoccurred when I put the SnapperMail files back in, since this is such a solid and reliable program, but it did. So I deleted all the Snapper files, and then ran the SnapperMail installer again to create fresh copies, and that's when the problem disappeared, and for the first time I remembered that the last thing I saw on the screen before the Treo started producing error messages was Snapper. Since the error was eliminated by deleting its files and reinstalling, I can only conclude that something, maybe even a conflict with another less stable app, corrupted one of the Snapper auxiliary files, resulting in unending resets which appeared as if my Treo was dead.

Which brings me to another, related point. When I see posts of others who claim they are on their 3rd or 4th Treo and still having the same problem, I think it is highly likely that there is nothing wrong with their hardware. Even if HandSpring/PalmOne had quality control that was so bad that 50% of their production of Treos were flawed, which I don't for one minute believe, that would still make it statistically and mathematically unlikely if not impossible for the same person to draw three or four defective units in a row!

Instead, I surmise that, since they keep blaming the hardware and don't consider their added-in software, they are restoring the same set of software, including the defective bit, over and over onto their replacement Treos.

Thanks again!

Regards,

NateS

PS - It took a lot more effort to track down and reinstall passwords and codes for third party software by using the Install Files conduit instead of Back/Restore, but it was well worth it.

Now, if I can just remember how I had SnapperMail configured to get Incoming from my regular ISP and send replies and Outgoing via my sprintpcs account, I'll be all set. I know I wrote it down somewhere!
    Last edited by NateS; 02/15/2004 at 09:21 PM.
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!