Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been a user of Directory Assistant for quite some time now. A few days ago, with no changes whatsoever made to my Treo 600, the app started giving me this error message whenever I tried to do a search: "Error getting data: 0". I have deleted the app 4 times and reloaded (version 2.03) and I'm still getting the same error message. I love this app and I would hate to go without it. Any ideas?
    I just tried looking up several phone numbers and directions. The phone numbers, both business and personal, returned the same error message you were getting. The driving directions worked fine.
    That said, I don't think it's a problem with your Treo.
    Same problem here too I sent Rick an e-mail to see if he knows what the problem is. I suspect it is a problem with the 555-1212 web site.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    I wonder if someone could make an alternative directory assistant app that utilizes the yahoo yellow pages online. I always use that one. They allow search by location which is very important. anyone up to creating this app?
  5.    #5  
    I wrote to Rick also. Here's his reply: "No, I honestly don't know. Some folks are having more trouble that others. The re-instal usually works, but not always."

That's why I turned to my TreoCentral gang. Well, I suppose I can take some solice in the fact that I'm not alone and it's not my T600.
    I love this app - it was working fine in WNY today...
    Well gang - it looks like the 555-1212 server is indeed hosed. I have no way of knowing if this is permanent. At any rate, what with the flaky and slow nature of this server lately I think I'm going to have to face a rewrite to use another data source.

Yahoo is one of many I've looked at. Problem is no single site does both Residential and Biz, plus many of them are not palm oriented so return a LOT of data so response may not be any better. But it looks like a switch will be needed.
    Someone had suggested in some other thread about using http://m.yp.com. That site has both Residential and Business listings.
    Originally posted by alex_mathews
    Someone had suggested in some other thread about using http://m.yp.com. That site has both Residential and Business listings.
    I suggested it too! Please use Yahoo for new Directory Assistant app. No better site for Yellow Pages. Just not currently configured for Treo...
    how about Superpages for Palm?

http://palm.superpages.com/palmportal/

Has everything too incl maps, direction, reverse.
    I need a site that let's me search by zip code. If you are in a huge city like los angeles you know why. If I search a pizza hut in Los Angeles, I'm likely to get hundreds of listings to have to sift through to find the right one. If I search in or near my zip, this narrows it down. And Yahoo is perfect for that. Not only that you can have it searched your saved locations. I.E. home, work, mistress's apartment, etc. Anyone else?
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Originally posted by treoneo
    I need a site that let's me search by zip code. If you are in a huge city like los angeles you know why. If I search a pizza hut in Los Angeles, I'm likely to get hundreds of listings to have to sift through to find the right one. If I search in or near my zip, this narrows it down. And Yahoo is perfect for that. Not only that you can have it searched your saved locations. I.E. home, work, mistress's apartment, etc. Anyone else?
    \

I agree... yahoo yellow pages and the ability to rank search by distance from saved locations is excellent, and is the main reason that I continue to use the yahoo yellow pages from Sprint's Yahoo portal. Not only is it configured for the small screen, it ratains saved location information from the full-blown html my yahoo page, so if you are a desktop user of yahoo, give the mini-sprint version a try. You have 1 link access to directions directly from your saved locations as well.

That said, i love the concept of DA, and the integration with the treo. hopefully, moving away from 555-1212 will increase the speed of it's searches.
    The only downside with Yahoo! is that you lose the residential search ability. Sometimes I need someone's phone number or their address.
    Looks like 555-1212.com now charges 8cents for every look up and you need to buy them in blocks of 100. Other sites that linked to them also not working and some have a note that you need to register.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Just to be clear, yp.com is not the same as Yahoo.com.

YP.com (Yellow Pages) offers lots of palm-optimized search capabilities.

Yahoo.com has less.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I had been getting the error and reinstalled today. I now can access business numbers but not residential.
  17.    #17  
    I tried it today and both residential and business queries worked!
    working for me now too.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Directory Assistance is not working again for me. I also noticed if I browse to the 555-1212 site, it mentions registering.

Anyone else have it working?

ctdw
  20.    #20  
    Yeah, I'm getting an error message that reads: "Unexpected problem with the results response!" when I try to do a residential or business query. Rats!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast