1.    #1  
    Do you think that PalmOne will offer any upgrades for the Treo 600 that will include some a new features found in OS6? In particular the new telephony applications.
    Nothing personal, Ryan, but I'm amused by all of the these "What will PalmOne do, offer, release or upgrade?" questions. And the polls about when Palm will release, and what will be upgraded in, the "610."

The simple truth is that almost no one outside of PalmOne has any idea what PalmOne's going to do. And anyone who does is under NDA (non-disclosure agreement). And company's who are developing new products get real, real unhappy with employees and contractors who violate NDAs. (I'm under an NDA with HP / Compaq for some meetings I was involved in last year, and saw some devices that HP was considering for development. None of them have seen the light of day yet, but that doesn't mean they won't be announced tomorrow. But I know that my employer would be most unhappy with me were I to leak them even now.

So all you're going to get in response to questions like this are guesses. And uniformed guesses at that.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I think thats all he is looking for at the very least. I think we all know that an answer to this question is going to be pure speculation, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. There is nothing wrong with posting the question to see what kind of response he will get, and who knows, maybe someone will come forward with insider info...most likely not but whats wrong with asking...?
    Nothings wrong with asking. I just said I was "amused" by these types of questions.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    I was "amused"
    Yep.
    Amused also,
    but I would be underwhelmed if OS6 comes out and there is no upgrade... could the T600 handle it anyway, are we talking about an OS that would overwhelm our tiny processor? I am quite impressed with what I have for the money at the moment, and an OS6 would probably take much bug fixing, would it be worth it at least for many months of angst and re-sets? Lets get to grips with the OS we have and encourage the developers to add to this one :-)
    Actually the most significant announcement to me about Cobalt (OS 6) is that they are dropping development of Mac synching software (although a third party is supposedly going to do this). Really makes me wonder if I want to plan on a Palm OS phone long term or but move to bluetooth enabled smartphone (which are already available) and not spend any more money on Palm apps. Probably sounds like an overreaction, but this announcement really torqued me off. It's not like they really spend any resources on Mac software right now, what was the purpose in announcing this except to alienate some of their existing customers? Anyways, it will probably be quite some time before we see a smartphone based on Cobalt. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see any until 2005.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    Nothing personal, Ryan, but I'm amused by all of the these "What will PalmOne do, offer, release or upgrade?" questions. And the polls about when Palm will release, and what will be upgraded in, the "610."

The simple truth is that almost no one outside of PalmOne has any idea what PalmOne's going to do. And anyone who does is under NDA (non-disclosure agreement). And company's who are developing new products get real, real unhappy with employees and contractors who violate NDAs. (I'm under an NDA with HP / Compaq for some meetings I was involved in last year, and saw some devices that HP was considering for development. None of them have seen the light of day yet, but that doesn't mean they won't be announced tomorrow. But I know that my employer would be most unhappy with me were I to leak them even now.

So all you're going to get in response to questions like this are guesses. And uniformed guesses at that.
    Everything you said is true, and amusing in its own right. One of the biggest reasons for the success of these forums today is the sense of community, the ability to "sit around the cyber-shop" and muse about things we don't/can't/won't be able to get answers to. You know, the old style cracker barrel conversations. Comments like yours, even with the self-serving "Nothing personal" shows that you miss the point entirely. Sure, there are truly technical discussions as well (the OTHER real reason for these forums), but let's not put down folks for just wondering....
  9.    #9  
    I wouldn't really care if they do a full blown upgrade....I'd just like to see some of the updated applications make it to the Treo.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    Actually the most significant announcement to me about Cobalt (OS 6) is that they are dropping development of Mac synching software (although a third party is supposedly going to do this). Really makes me wonder if I want to plan on a Palm OS phone long term or but move to bluetooth enabled smartphone (which are already available) and not spend any more money on Palm apps. Probably sounds like an overreaction, but this announcement really torqued me off. It's not like they really spend any resources on Mac software right now, what was the purpose in announcing this except to alienate some of their existing customers? Anyways, it will probably be quite some time before we see a smartphone based on Cobalt. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see any until 2005.
    In the articles I read it made it sound like PalmSource has licensed the Missing Sync for MacOS sync'ing and/or it's up the licensee to come up with their own solution. So MacOS support isn't totally dead.
    Actually no. Palmsource has said they aren't going to do it. The Missing Sync developed has promised to develop a version for Cobalt, but it will of course cost money. As far as Palmsource themselves are concerned any development for the Mac is dead.

Originally posted by RyanRife

In the articles I read it made it sound like PalmSource has licensed the Missing Sync for MacOS sync'ing and/or it's up the licensee to come up with their own solution. So MacOS support isn't totally dead.
    Originally posted by bcaslis Actually the most significant announcement to me about Cobalt (OS 6) is that they are dropping development of Mac synching software (although a third party is supposedly going to do this).
    I am happy Palm is not coming out with sync software for the Mac - it stinks. The lack of Mac sync software will create a great opportunity for third party developers. Expect to see others besides Mark/Space.

For a real treat, check out PilotInstall, a free application that works great for installing stuff on Mac (only problem is that you have to set your clock back before 2004 for it to work, due to time limit on software - hope they update it soon).

http://envicon.de/e/pinstall/pinstall.html

PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy (I think the link is dead - please send developer a note).
    Amused?

It must be, it woke snurdy up for the usual one word response!
    Last edited by JTREOB; 02/11/2004 at 10:23 PM.
    I think the concern is whether developers with apps that use conduits continue to support the Mac. There are already a number of apps that don't offer Mac conduits. There are also some excellent ones like the apps from SplashData. If developers perceive support for the Mac is dead or think people won't buy an app that needs a conduit since users have to buy software to use synch and use the conduit, then they stop supporting apps on the Mac also. This is the real problem, not whether Palm updates their crummy software. BTW, I think the current Palm synch software on the PC stinks just as much as the one on the Mac, it just has a few more conduits.

Originally posted by drrjv

I am happy Palm is not coming out with sync software for the Mac - it stinks. The lack of Mac sync software will create a great opportunity for third party developers. Expect to see others besides Mark/Space.

For a real treat, check out PilotInstall, a free application that works great for installing stuff on Mac (only problem is that you have to set your clock back before 2004 for it to work, due to time limit on software - hope they update it soon).

http://envicon.de/e/pinstall/pinstall.html

PM me with your email address and I'll send you a copy (I think the link is dead - please send developer a note).
    Evening,

These forums (like fan newsgroups etc) are all monitored by industry people to get a feel for demand/and possibly steal/develop some good ideas that pop up from users, in a way these forums are the perfect feedback system for companies like PalmOne and software developers... Thus, Ryan's question is very valid, as it may even influence change...

Anyway, I would love an option to upgrade the OSof my treo to up its longevity...

R_H