Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Lets try to keep this civil... Which do you prefer? Why?

-Mike
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    Lets try to keep this civil... Which do you prefer? Why?

-Mike
    I'm not sure why a comparison is being made they don't really do the same thing. CallFilter is designed more as a call filtering utility that has the ability to change your ringtones to MP3s. Lightwav just does the latter.
    It's a matter of focus of the developer and the features you're looking for.

W/r to CallFilter, I don't care at all about the call filter features, it's 30 bucks and the MP3 ringtone features are in beta. Actually, I don't understand why these two sets of features have to be in one application.

W/r to LightWav, it's entirely focused on using WAV and MP3 for not only ringtones but also alarms etc, and it's 15 bucks, at least for the time being.

For me LightWav does exactly what I was looking for, assuming that the Contacts ringtones will soon be released in an official version.
  4.    #4  
    i have been leaning lightwav as well, I too dont care about the call filtering aspect.. I am trying to figure out which handles Mp3 ringtones better?

Does one offer more or less functionality in that regard. (noting that Lightwav handles audio for all the apps and Callfiter is only for ringtones.
    The comparison is valid when talking about the implementation of MP3 ringtones. How about we agree to limit the scope of the comparison to ONLY each programs implementation of MP3 ringtones. I too would like to hear from those who have tried both for just that purpose...
    I haven't played with lightwav so I can't talk about it. But with Callfilter there is an extreme amount of flexability in setting mp3 ringtones.

You can set an mp3/wav by number, by category, by whether or not the caller is in your contact list, or by if the number is blocked / has no callerID.
    Well, since both programs use PTunes for mp3 decoding, they will end up fairly similar in that aspect. Both developers are working on an individual ringtone, and it looks like Callfilter will implement first.
    The big question is more of do you need/want the extra $15 worth of features in Callfilter?
    Actually, unless CallFilter is ready to release a version with individual ringtones before day's end, LightWave will beat it to the punch. The beta is out and looking good. I suspect registered users will have it in their hands by dinner time.

I never tried CallFilter...I'm one of those people who answers the phone when it rings just to find out who's at the other end. The only time I would not answer is the rare occasion that I know who's calling and I don't want to speak to them.

LightWave's use of both mp3 and wav files as ring tones for the phone, or alarms for your calendar, or whatever other program uses alerts is brilliant. I can even set the count-down timer in Bob's Alarms now to play We Are the Champions when the time runs out.

Right now, the only app it isn't picking up on is SnapperMail, but he's working on it.

So it truly does depend on what you want. Call filtering, or individual ring tones and alerts. Oh yea, and don't forget to compare the prices.
    the callfilter beta with the ringtones is in one of the two callfilter threads. . . it's been out since last night.

I never thought I'd use the call filtering, but it sure does come in handy. . . it's kinda nice to have the phone mute itself while only while I'm at work. . . or at night when I'm sleeping.

30 bucks is step but with how fast the developer is moving I wouldn't be surprised if callfilter does even more stuff.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    For me I have tried both. My main concern was to have MP3's set as my ringtone. Both claim and do use MP3's as ringers but both lack performance.

The mp3 plays when the phone rings but both keep playing the mp3 2 or so seconds into the call. This means the other caller can actualy hear what your ringer is. VERY ANNOYING!

I have used callfilter v2 and Lwave #31
    Playing ringtones from an SD card just doesn't cut it for me. I hate missing calls so I couldn't live with missing a call due to an unmounted SD card. I know Lwav has the wave from RAM option and I will have to revisit that, but the last time I tried it I got a soft reset when I answered the phone. I would prefer to play mp3s from RAM. This can be accomplished using RamDisk. The developer just needs to allow browsing to designate a ringer folder. He says he will add that to the list but it doesn't seem like a high priority. That is something I can already do using CallFilter. I have already paid for Lightwav and plan to buy CallFilter. The only way that will change is if Lightwav is truly as stable and feature rich as CallFilter.

As it stands now, the CallFilter beta has had individual ringtones since this past weekend. It is incredibly stable and I can assign ringtones from RAM using RamDisk. Lightwavs only real advantage is using mp3 and wavs for other apps. Which I would imagine makes it a no-brainer for people interested in those features. You can't compare cost because CallFilter offers an entire set of different functionality. If call filtering is important to you then CallFilter is a no-brainer.

BTW the developer of Lightwav has hinted at raising the price so maybe that will no longer be a discussion.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    I would have to give call filter the nod. I am one of his beta testers and he responds to feedback very well. The functionality he has coming out in the next few days are super. Here are a few:

* Sometimes the MP3 plays for a second after you answer the call. This is a problem that can be fixed and will be fixed before the next beta.

* Using The Ring Volume level to set vol in CallFilter

* Using the the Vol up and down to silence the MP3

* (Current Feature) There is no need to SILENCE your midi files when using CallFilter...Calfilter handles this all for you automatically. If for some reason a MP3 file is not available to play, it will default to using your system defined MIDI ringtone.

* Support for Multiple SD cards loaded at the same time. So you can use a RamDisk to store your MP3s/WAVS.

Also currently in the new beta.......

a) Ability to filter based on Categories in your Contacts!
    b) MP3 and WAV support.
    c) Call Forwarding when In Cradle works now on Sprint Phones
    d) You can setup MP3s for individual phone numbers, or categories by selecting RING AS NORMAL as the action...then you will be able to pick an MP3

Now I know lightwav does some of the same things, but to me all of the call filtering options are a must!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Originally posted by damigs
    For me I have tried both. My main concern was to have MP3's set as my ringtone. Both claim and do use MP3's as ringers but both lack performance.

The mp3 plays when the phone rings but both keep playing the mp3 2 or so seconds into the call. This means the other caller can actualy hear what your ringer is. VERY ANNOYING!

I have used callfilter v2 and Lwave #31
    The work around is to press the volume up/down button on the left to stop the sound then answer. its an extra step but hey it works!

another method is to answer the call by pressing the center button on the 5way keypad.
    FYI, Lightwav 1.1 is out to all registered users with individual ringtone feature.

visit www.toysoft.ca tomorrow for the trial version.
    The missing bit for me is a feature that lets you assign individual tones to incoming SMS IDs.

Are you someone I want to read a message from ? Then I want to hear it. Are you just more SMS spam ? Off to the no-audio-alert trashcan for you.

The program that adds this will get my cash.

Regards

Mark
    Originally posted by smiley88
    FYI, Lightwav 1.1 is out to all registered users with individual ringtone feature.

visit www.toysoft.ca tomorrow for the trial version.
    Can Lightwave load an MP3 from a ramdisk?

Thanks,
    --Mathew
    I guess the new CallFilter 1.2 puts a nail in the coffin of this debate?
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    hey Tex, how many different threads are you going to rebring up so you can post about call filter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo_Addict_Tex
    I guess the new CallFilter 1.2 puts a nail in the coffin of this debate?
    you are comparing apples and oranges. Lightwav is totally different from callFilter. lwav is a wav/mp3/midi ringtone and picture/video callerID manager and not a callerID filter app.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley88
    you are comparing apples and oranges. Lightwav is totally different from callFilter. lwav is a wav/mp3/midi ringtone and picture/video callerID manager and not a callerID filter app.
    I was just thinking the same thing.

I bought both applications and like both of them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast