1.    #1  
    I have been using the Treo 300 on Sprint. Now that the 600 is available for T-Mobile, I am attracted to it because I also am using T-Mobile WiFi in Starbucks. My understanding is that if one is a cell phone customer, T-Mobile offers the WiFi service for $20/mo. without a contract. The normal charge for T-Mobile without the contract is $39.95/mo. ($29.95/mo. for a one year contract).

My question here is that since Sprint is CDMA and T-Mobile is not, what are people losing/gaining from changing carriers? Is the functionality of the 600 compromised in any way? Thanks for any comments.
    Sprint's 1xRTT CDMA data network is significantly faster than T-Mobile's GPRS network and is $5/month less. OTOH, T-Mobile is GSM so if you travel internationally, this would obviously be the way to go. You can also receive phone calls on GSM even if you are actively downloading/uploading, with Sprint, calls will just get transferred to voicemail. I use Sprint because I value data speed the most and I don't travel internationally. However, everyone's mobile needs are different so what is best for me might not be best for you, all depends on what you need and value in a service provider.
    also, I don't think T-mobile cares about you using the cell phone as a modem, while I know for sure it's against sprints contract.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Although you may get better international coverage via T-Mobile, I believe U.S. national coverage is much better via Sprint/CDMA. I know that locally I get better coverage via Sprint than I would with T-Mobile. Personally, the best coverage locally is my deciding factor and Sprint beats everyone else both locally and regionally in my area.

BTW, Sprint is the only US carrier working on "next generation" cellular coverage/technology for their next big investment and implementation which means that in perhaps as little as three years Sprint will be the most technologically advanced cellular carrier. TIme will tell though and this is really just a factoid rather than a deciding factor (unless you are a business owner).
    If you understand, things are just as they are. If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Also, battery life on the GSM is supposedly better than the CDMA. And many sprint customers seem to claim they are getting even worse battery life since the update.
    The way GSM networks handle multiple calls is a lot better than Sprint's CDMA network. Basically, using a T-Mobile Treo 600 one is be able to manage multiple calls (more than two), terminate individual calls and conference those calls very easily. With Sprint's service, because it is a CDMA network, you can only have two connections and you can't really hang up on just one of them (you can, but it's a pretty buggy solution), and you can only conference the two connections (3-way call, like) if you've initiated both of them.

On a cosmetic point: the GSM Treo 600 doesn't have that freakin' bump.
    For coverage comparisons, data speeds, and all sorts of other technical stuff, check out:
    www.sfbacell.com
    This is specific to the SF Bay Area; it has links to NYC and Southern CA, also.
  8.    #8  
    Speed and coverage will probably hold me back for a while then. Thank you all for the speedy and informative responses.
    Originally posted by Marty1781
    You can also receive phone calls on GSM even if you are actively downloading/uploading, with Sprint, calls will just get transferred to voicemail.
    on the Treo600. I was also under the impression that this is true, but it has recently been put to light that voice calls go to voicemail during active data download on the GSM Treo600 similar to CDMA Treo600.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Originally posted by snerdy
    The way GSM networks handle multiple calls is a lot better than Sprint's CDMA network. Basically, using a T-Mobile Treo 600 one is be able to manage multiple calls (more than two), terminate individual calls and conference those calls very easily. With Sprint's service, because it is a CDMA network, you can only have two connections and you can't really hang up on just one of them (you can, but it's a pretty buggy solution), and you can only conference the two connections (3-way call, like) if you've initiated both of them.

On a cosmetic point: the GSM Treo 600 doesn't have that freakin' bump.
    What solution do you recommend? I had the 180 on TMobile, and loved the ability to hang up just one caller. Now, if someone calls in on my Sprint t600, and I switch to them for a second and want to switch back over, i simply have to leave that 2nd person on the line (hopefully they handup
    Originally posted by treoo0
    hopefully they hang up
    The sad solution is that if you hit "hang up all" while you have one line on hold and one line active, the network sort of automatically reconnects you to the line that was on hold. It seems like you're haning up on both lines, but after a moment the line that was on hold will appear to call you back. The person on the other end of the line doesn't hear the ringing, they just think you switched back to them, but ...well, it's a hair-raising adventure every time.

I'd love it if there was another solution for this, incidentally. ...I'm just writing that here, on the Internet, in hopes that someone will get the message. Or something.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I don't know that the quirks with 3 way calling is necessarily a CDMA thing. interestingly, I think this is how it would work from a landline if you do 3 way calling. (drop all calls, then one rings you back)
    Also, as was mentioned earlier, the GSM Treo does send calls directly to VM when actively downloading data just like the Sprint version does.