Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I have the Vaja case and am extremely happy with it. The case is rigid (yet still made of leather) and fits like a glove.
    Has anyone used JavoEdge JAVOSkin case?

http://www.javoedge.com/simtrix/prod...&category=SKIN
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    For what it's worth...

I started with the Bellagio, both flip and open. Fantastic cases, best designed clips (doesn't stick out too far, has a return that won't allow it to pop off accidently, and doesn't wear out over time). Problem with the flip, was that it hit the space key and autoanswered.

Next I tried the Piel Frama flip. Nicely made, beautifully packaged. But- the clip design is lousy- sticks out too far, wears out after about 2 weeks, which means it pops off unexpectedly. Also, the fit isn't absolutely top notch wich I think you're entitled to expect for that $$

So, I emailed Bellagio about exchanging the auto answering flip case because I noticed that they'd updated the design to stop this problem. Being the top folk that they are, they sent me out the new flip case & didn't even want the old one back!

I couldn't be happier with the Bellagio. The fit around the sync socket/ headphone can be a little loose, but it really is a top case, with the best clip design, well priced and beautifully made.

Oh, with a bit of patience, you can get 2 credit cards in (I trimmed them down for the Piel Frama) and some cash notes as well. So I have now dispensed wit my manbag!

Hope this help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Galahad
    Now that I've had the HS form-fitting case for a week or so, I have 2 complaints: (1) The soft clear plastic is too tight and too high across the touch-screen. You practically have to poke the stylus thru the plastic near the edges. Question: has anyone voided the case warranty and snipped away the plastic covering the touch-screen? That would leave almost 50% of the plastic. The buttons and the keyboard work well enough thru the plastic. (2) Has anyone further voided the warranty and cut away the bit of leather covering the camera lens?
    Update: I slit the HS plastic screen cover from side to side, about 1/4" down from the top, but didn't cut the plastic away. Now the stylus easily slips under and up the slit. Operation of the touch screen below the slit is also much improved. A bottom slit would be nearly as useful, but I haven't decided how far up to make this 2nd horizontal slice. Below the plastic screen cover I have a screen protector, so overall protection isn't reduced by much. I mean to take my Exacto to the leather covering the camera, too. The principle here is that nothing should stand in the way of immediate operation of a PDA, for otherwise its value drops off.
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    Has anyone used JavoEdge JAVOSkin case?

http://www.javoedge.com/simtrix/prod...&category=SKIN
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=53373
    Has anyone tried the case that Verizon has on its accessory web site? Looks like a flip case, but does not show enough pictures to tell if there is a clip or not.
    I'm heading to the mall today, I'll stop by the Verizon store to see if they have one in stock that I can look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galahad
    Update: I slit the HS plastic screen cover from side to side, about 1/4" down from the top, but didn't cut the plastic away. Now the stylus easily slips under and up the slit. Operation of the touch screen below the slit is also much improved. A bottom slit would be nearly as useful, but I haven't decided how far up to make this 2nd horizontal slice. Below the plastic screen cover I have a screen protector, so overall protection isn't reduced by much. I mean to take my Exacto to the leather covering the camera, too. The principle here is that nothing should stand in the way of immediate operation of a PDA, for otherwise its value drops off.
    Another update: I've removed the plastic over the keyboard but left the buttons covered. Above the buttons and over the screen I've removed half an inch of plastic, and at the screen top a quarter-inch is gone. The remaining plastic is much more pokeable with the stylus or fingertip than it was, and the 2 sides are still held together. The case has loosened slightly, so I believe very little more can be sliced off the plastic.
    Warning: use your Exacto blade with the utmost care. I stuffed the case with paper and used a clear ruler. The same day I found a nick through the screen protector itself, but it didn't hit the Treo screen (lucky, I guess, tho' I don't how it happened). It is VERY nice to feel the keys again and to be able to use one's fingertip on the screen. Only the vertical slider remains unusable, except at the ends.
    It's too early to tell how long the remaining plastic will behave well and look nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner
    Has anyone tried the case that Verizon has on its accessory web site? Looks like a flip case, but does not show enough pictures to tell if there is a clip or not.
    The verizon case comes with a clip. It also has two 'pockets' in the flap two store an SD card or business cards.

The leather is very soft and definitely provides padding for extra protection. The downside is that the case make the bulkier.

Hope this helps...
    bogeygolfer - Pictures Please - Showing the front - back and sizes of the case would be awesome.

I don't think I'll get it as I now have the OEM form fit, ProClip Holster and a Covertec form Fit (removeable clip) on the way.
    Hope this pictures help...

http://www.pbase.com/jreyes2000/verizon_treo_case

As much as this case offers more protection, I'm going with the OEM form fit case instead...
    Thanks for the VZW case pics. It looks nice, however, I see what you mean by the bulk of the case....darn! Oh well....I wish I could find just a flip cover like my T3 OEM cover. That way I could just protect the screen and keyboard when my Treo is in my pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by philipgood
    I'm interested in the Vaja or Krusell but have a few questions:

• I can't find anywhere to actually buy the Krusell, does anyone know of a distributor?
    • Does the Krusell have a decent swivel clip? The Krusell website shows some type of bulky steel clip kind of accessory.
    • Is there a size-bulk difference between the two? I've seen someone on the board say the Vajra is bulky while the Krusell site claims their cases are sleek. Is there really a difference?

Thanks
    Phil-
    It's been about 3 weeks since your questions, so I don't know if you've found your answers already, but I just rec'd my Krusell Classic case, so I'll share some thoughts.

You may know of course that the TreoCentral store sells them. I also did a froogle.com search to find other resellers.

I don't know anything about the swivel clip - the one that comes with the case is what they call a mini-clip and does not swivel. I plan to carry mine "naked" or possibly with a wrist strap.

The case really is quite sleek. The multidapt "female" part is quite flat, so if you want to use without a clip, it doesn't add much thickness.

I am not entirely happy with the way the holes line up, but that's another story.

Ken
    I think this one has been mentioned before, but I bought a neat case from Brookstone that works great. It is a slip-in with a clip on the back. I'm very happy with it.
    had it for a few days and do not like it. it's great at protecting the keyboard from spills. (hands were dripping wet and water fell into keyboard. didn't have the javo on, luckily nothing happened). cons can't read the letters when typing. felt very awkward when typing. a little bulkier than i would have imagined.
    I'm very surprised not to see the Slipper in this thread. I had the OEM case with the big plastic shield covering everything like a big Treo-condom and got fed up with it. I was looking for a little more, um, direct contact if you will BUT having the protection there when I wanted it. I've been through about 3 cases and finally found the perfect blend of what I was looking for.:

~ leather
    ~ relatively slim design but protection over size was key
    ~ no plastic covering the screen or keyboard
    ~ leather flap covering screen and keyboard (removable via velcro) but with a clear window so I can see caller ID
    ~ all cutouts for sync, mic, headphones, volume rocker, camera, speaker, etc.
    ~ decent belt clip
    ~ didn't want to spend $100 on a frickin case for my Treo.

Best purchase I've made for my Treo. Check out the Slipper with or without the belt clip: http://www.ebcases.com/Detail.bok?no=3201
    you say you want protection but no plastic covering the screen? isn't that a paradox? the plastic adds to the protection!
    Quote Originally Posted by rossoneri
    you say you want protection but no plastic covering the screen? isn't that a paradox? the plastic adds to the protection!
    Selective protection was what I was searching for in a case = when I'm not using the Treo, I want it covered but the screen visible nonetheless. When I'm using it, I don't want plastic covering anything.

Lemme guess, you're the programming type, right? Not that there's anything wrong with that but I could see where my over generalized explanation can confuse those who think in precise code. Right. Let me break it down for you. There is a protective leather flap that happens to be attached to the leather body of the case via velcro. This leather protective flap has a protective plastic window on it that enables users to view caller ID for incoming calls. When my Treo is in my bag, on my hip, or wherever not being used, I prefer the keyboard and screen to be protected against the everyday bumps and bruises.

But behold, when you either flip the flap back or simply take it off, your Treo is still encased in a leather case yet the screen and keyboard are exposed, free and unencumbered.

Check out the photos on the link I originally included. Get it?
    Hi everybody. I hope this search story will help someone.

I recently bought a treo 600 -suerely sattisfied -. Long before I bought it, I began to look for a case and a screen protector. First I was very very interested in having a full access and protecting everything. When I say everything, I include the keyboard because my old Nokia 3510i's keys were erased by use. And I wanted to take it in my pocket. So my first option was a JavoSkin or silicone case sold in TreoCentral (cheaper here, but it seems lower quality) as I though silicone was a better protector.

Then I received my treo. First I noticed that the keyboard was more solid than I though and I made a question on this forum: has the keyboard on your treo been deleted with use? Sadly, my question was made before the forums were down and it wasn't saved. But the feedback I got was that the keyboard was good enough to feel confortable about it's durability and it won't be erased.

So I changed my priorities. I tested the case that comes with the Treo. It's not very usefull to me as I had to take it out every time, but I discovered that leather could be a very good protector. As the keys are a little hard to press -first impression until I got used to-, I decided not to completely cover them. So I looked open access case .I looked at the Krusell, Bellagio, Covertec -not horizontal- and more. My favourite was the Covertec. But I read about how plastic front made access not as natural as naked access. And, while I was using my treo, protection become more and more important.

Then I began to investigate the flip-lid cases. They weren't an option for me at the begining -except for the beautiful vaja flip case- but, as I've said, my priorities were changing. My first option was the Handit Krussel. I liked it and the reviews were good. I moved to E&B Slipper Case becauses it has a plastic window and lets you see who's calling or an alarm without opening the flip. It seemed to be all what I wanted. Of course I read that plastic doesn't protect the screen as well as leather when something is falling on it, but it was usability vs. security -just as life. The flip cover is removable, too. More info on E&B.. I liked the Javo Leather Case, too, with its original dessign. It seems very comfortable to use. (Models 1 and 2). Maybe too much original for me, specially model 2 with its locking clip. So I decided not to risk but maybe I failed.

Then I began to see the prices. From the time I had decided to move to a flip case to get more protection, all the prices were similar. As I live on Spain, the shipping costs were an important part for all the cases except for the Piel Frama (shipping all around the world with the same price). And I began to investigate this option. I really liked I could remove the Belt Clip hook to make it confortable when on pocket. I finally bought it and have had for three days now. And I'm wearing it in my belt most of time, and on my pocket when necessary. And I'm pretty sattisfied!!! I will also add a G2 screen protector as soon as I receive it.

My review is -comparing with other cases-:

PIEL FRAMA CASE

PROS:
    - Complete security (except of the antenne, but no case protects it!). Every corner, everything. Covertec and other doesn't protect correctly the bottom corners and a corner is the most hitting part on fallings.
    - Best quality leather and make-up (better than E&B, comparable to Vaja).
    - Removable belt clip hook. You don't need a different case to the pocket and the belt (you need with Vaja). And the belt clip is so confortable and easy to use, altough I had never used one I'm getting used to it.
    - Total access to everything: camera, reset, card, IR... You will never take the phone out.
    - 2 SD slots without charge (you had to pay for it in Vaja).
    - Magnetic close (mucho better than E&B's velcro). Opening/closing the flip is the most easy thing I've never done, I'm doing with just one hand and a circular movement.
    - Again, the opening is perfect. The leather is a little thiner on top so it bends perfectly and doesn't interfere with talking or using the PDA functions.
    - Fits like a glove.
    - Has a cut on the cover that avoids the space key to act when incoming calls.
    - Simmilar price than other flip cases. For me -on Spain- it was cheaper because of the shipping. Cheaper than the Vaja classical.

CONS:
    - A little bulky. Thicker than Vaja, I think, but simmilar to other flip cases. Actually I didn't buy the smallest phone, I bought the Treo because of its functionality and I can assume its size.
    - Had to open to almost everything, including silence/sound and see who's calling. For this, it's better an open access or the E&B case. That's the only thing I miss, switching the sound off without open. A cut on the cover would be perfect. I will write to Pile Frama suggesting them to make a new cut.
    - The bottom leather is a little too much thin. I've readen somewhere that the Vaja flip case bottom lapels/flaps weaken in time, and it seems to be very simmilar. The i-volution, Krussel and other ones seems to solve better this problem. Of course, other cases like Covertec have worse protection on the bottom. Maybe someone can say something.
    - One of the SD slots is smaller than the other and a card hardly fits. I'm sure it will fit better with use and maybe that's a failure of my unit and not of the model, not sure.

DON'T MIND:
    - Fitting on the craddle. I don't know how it fits, as I don't have a craddle.
    - Personalize. The vaja case can be more personalized: more colors, name or logo...

MY FAVOURITE CASES:
    * Open Access w/o Plastic cover: Vaja ivolution. (In Europe).
    * Open Access w/ Plastic Cover: Covertec or JavoSkin (it doesn't protect screen, but surely is the best option for protecting keyboard).
    * Flip: Piel Frama (removable belt hook), Vaja classic (smaller), E&B (lower quality, but surely enough, and more access to functionality).
    * If you want to know about my ellection with other criteria, ask.

MY WISH: A Piel Frama with access to silence switch.

MY THOUGHTS: There are a lot of wonderful cases out there. The diferences between them are, sometimes just a matter of priorities. Here I explain what was my favourite case while my priorities changed and what I learnt (what is each case's best point). But I think most of people will enjoy the case they chose. My last choice was visceral in some ways because I wanted everything (price, usability, security) but I had to choice. If you think you're failing your decission, you will fail whatever you choice because every case has properties that no other has and doesn't have properties and any other has. Think you're making the right choice.

I'll keep you informed in my progress.

PD: I think it's quoted somewhere else, but this link vas very useful to me.
    Last edited by faregran; 08/23/2004 at 07:40 AM.
    Just received my Flip Style MOD. "C" Leather case for the T600. Got it customized with the "brandy" colored leather with a black leather front flap. Beautiful creation really. It took about a month because of the customization.

This case does many things right in my opinion. All the proper cutouts for everything, cradle-friendly, IR friendly, charge it and use headphones at same time, while adjusting the volume buttons on the side, etc. It also is a sturdy piece and I suspect it would protect the Treo like chain-mail body armor. But that level of protection is also its downfall..... While it is a very high-end piece, and looks beautiful and would protect the Treo very well, I don't believe it to be the best case for my needs for the following reasons:

1. Its huge. It adds significant thickness and bulk.
    2. Can't feel the vibration-mode even if I cram it in my pocket.
    3. Leather is excessively thick. You almost need to break in the folding strap like a baseball glove. I'm currently looking for some linseed oil and will be folding the case and storing it between my mattress and boxspring to ensure the flap actually folds and the magnetic closure does its job. Not really but I should consider it.
    4. Belt clip does not offer positioning ala the Treo OEM case with clicking positioning. Great for when you want the phone in horizontal position while sitting/driving or whatever.
    5. Somewhat awkward to use the phone with the big heavy flap.
    6. Decrease in ability to hear callers because the upper protective bar near the earpiece keeps ear off surface of phone.

I'll give it a few more days of practice but I suspect I'll be taking advantage of Bellagio's 30 day refund policy. The search for the most utilitarian case continues....any suggestions?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast