Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've edited this message to remove the links at the end, and much of the explanation, as there have been changes since I first wrote this. Please read this thread to see the whole story, or just click here to go directly to the message with current installation instructions and links.

I'm one of the many that use Derek Kelly's outstanding graphic buttons in the T600's phone application. The stock graphics for the phone pad buttons are, at best, dated and boring.

Up until now, when you installed Derek's graphics, you were also unwittingly installing a whole replacement phone application. The phone application was the Sprint 1.0 version. This was fine if you were running a Sprint T600, but if you weren't, you were using a slightly different Phone.prc application than the one that came with your phone.

I don't know what the exact differences are between all the different versions of Phone.prc, but I do know that I really want to run the version that comes with my phone. And when I update my firmware/software, I want to be running the new version of Phone.prc, not some old version.

But I still wanted Derek's AQUA buttons.

While working on some patches for the Phone.prc application, I discovered that it wasn't necessary to replace the whole Phone.prc application to get Derek's buttons, just the graphic resources for the buttons themselves. So I made up a "new" version of the AQUA graphics enhancement, and it doesn't require you "replace" the whole Phone.prc application. It also doesn't require complicated installation and removal instructions, and doesn't require a reset.

Bill S

ps And remember I had nothing to do with creating any of these great graphics, Derek Kelly did the buttons and I don't know who did the T-Mobile logos (but thanks!). I just figured out a better way to package them.
    Last edited by tvBilly; 04/25/2004 at 12:33 AM.
    The straight "Graphics" option doesn't work with the Sprint Treo. Just tried it this morning. But I might just download the app anyway - the buttons are nice!
    There's an earlier hack, named phone_logo.prc, which evolved about the same time as the Aqua buttons. phone_logo.prc allows the Sprint Treo call log to display call duration.

Are your files compatible with this? Should I remove phone_logo.prc if I install one of your files? If so, will your files still let me see the call duration in the log?

Thanks much.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I've discovered (the hard way) that phone_LOGO.prc installed supercedes phone_AQUA.prc - I had to remove phone_LOGO.prc to get AQUA to work.

Since I like my customized startup/shutdown screens (Guinness logos, if anyone is interested), I renamed phone_LOGO.prc to phone_TEMP.prc on my pc and phone_AQUA.prc to phone_LOGO.prc; then I used PRCEdit to copy & paste the two Guinness logo resources from phone_TEMP.prc into phone_LOGO.prc.

The end result is one phone_LOGO.prc with the AQUA buttons and my Guinness startup & shutdown screens... and it works. I guess this means that there can be only one prc overlaying your phone_CARRIER file?
    tvBilly, what process did you use to restore the phone app to it's original state? need to return back to original have GSM version.

Thanks
    Can anyone post the screen shots of the tmo_aqua file above? I want to preview all the images before I take the time to install it.

THANKS
    Well this is great news. I just ordered a GSM treo and although I liked the aqua buttons, I wasn't about to go overwriting my phone prc. So this will be just perfect! However, I would like to see some screenshots beforehand though... it'd be a good idea (if not done already) to include them in the zip file for people who are interested.

I could be wrong, but could this knowlege eventually lead to a sort of "themes" program? Like something that could change your phone buttons and/or favorite buttons and/or logos to any number of different images using a nice GUI. That would be REALLY cool.
    Thanks for this little hack, TV.

Question: when I have the phone app set to use a wall paper as the default view and then bring up the dial pad the images are not dithered correctly. However, if I have the default view set to dial pad it looks fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    --Mathew
    I tried Skinner, and it caused all kinds of problems with my phone.prc app.

People would call, I'd answer, but they couldnt hear me.

I removed Skinner and the problems. Don't get me wrong, Skinner is a great idea.

I have a GSM, T600, FW: 2.04, HW: B
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    Thanks for this little hack, TV.

Question: when I have the phone app set to use a wall paper as the default view and then bring up the dial pad the images are not dithered correctly. However, if I have the default view set to dial pad it looks fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    --Mathew
    You'll need to install this also, it's the only way to keep the files displaying correctly.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/graphics/colorize.shtml

install it and then set the default to 16bits, works fine on mine with this setup
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding from using FileZ and PRCEdit is that:

- the phone_XXXX (where XXXX is a four-letter carrier-specific identifier) is in ROM, and not overwritable;

- the phone_LOGO.prc or phone_AQUA.prc are in flash;

- functionally, the flash databases are overlaid over the ROM version (which is why they only contain graphics and the overlay resource)...

Do I have this right?
    Thanks tvBilly!
    Originally posted by tvBilly
    I'm one of the many that use Derek Kelly's outstanding graphic buttons in the T600's phone application. The stock graphics for the phone pad buttons are, at best, dated and boring.

Up until now, when you installed Derek's graphics, you were also unwittingly installing a whole replacement phone application. The phone application was the Sprint 1.0 version. This was fine if you were running a Sprint T600, but if you weren't, you were using a slightly different Phone.prc application than the one that came with your phone.

I don't know what the exact differences are between all the different versions of Phone.prc, but I do know that I really want to run the version that comes with my phone. And when I update my firmware/software, I want to be running the new version of Phone.prc, not some old version.

But I still wanted Derek's AQUA buttons.

While working on some patches for the Phone.prc application, I discovered that it wasn't necessary to replace the whole Phone.prc application to get Derek's buttons, just the graphic resources for the buttons themselves. So I made up a "new" version of the AQUA graphics enhancement, and it doesn't require you "replace" the whole Phone.prc application. It also doesn't require complicated installation and removal instructions, and doesn't require a reset.

I've uploaded two versions of the AQUA based graphic extensions, with just the graphics, and no other parts of any Phone.prc application.

The first one is just Derek's wonderful buttons. No graphic changes to the "Favorites" buttons, and no graphic changes to the "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" screens. Whatever "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" screens you have before will remain in use. It's a 4K zip (16K prc) file you just unzip and hotsync over. Or you can download the .prc file directly to your T600. If you download the prc file directly to your T600, the next time you go to the phone application, you'll see Derek's buttons. No resets are necessary, and you're still using the Phone application in your ROM, the only thing that's added is Derek's buttons. You can use a file utility to remove the file if you want, again with no reset needed. (The next time you enter your phone application, it will have the stock buttons).

Click to download zip: Phone_AQUA.zip
    Click to download prc: Phone_AQUA.prc

The second version is what I use. It's the same as the "plain" AQUA above, but it includes new graphics for the "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" screens, with the T-Mobile logo. It's an 8K zip (66K prc) file.

Click to download zip: PhoneTMo_AQUA.zip
    Click to download prc: PhoneTMo_AQUA.prc

Be sure to remove any graphic extensions you might be currently running. If you're running an "older" version of the AQUA enhancement, or something similar, remove it before you install this one.

Feel free to fool around with these.

Bill S

ps And remember I had nothing to do with creating any of these great graphics, Derek Kelly did the buttons and I don't know who did the T-Mobile logos (but thanks!). I just figured out a better way to package them.
    Phone_Aqua.prc includes some startup and shutdown logo.

Please can U post the version without the logo.
    Ciao

Ettore
    am I missing something just how do you get the favorites screen to look like Derik's phone buttons
  15.    #16  
    Originally posted by Indicator
    The straight "Graphics" option doesn't work with the Sprint Treo. Just tried it this morning. But I might just download the app anyway - the buttons are nice!
    Don't know why they shouldn't work with your Sprint phone, unless you have additional graphics overlay files already installed, and they happen to be overriding the AQUA version. Maybe someone else with a Sprint phone can let us know if it works for them. The two versions I uploaded are the same, except that one has "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphics added, and the other doesn't. Neither has the application code.

Originally posted by meyerweb
    There's an earlier hack, named phone_logo.prc, which evolved about the same time as the Aqua buttons. phone_logo.prc allows the Sprint Treo call log to display call duration.

Are your files compatible with this? Should I remove phone_logo.prc if I install one of your files? If so, will your files still let me see the call duration in the log?
    I remember what you're talking about, but I don't remember the details of what phone_logo.prc modified to get the Sprint call log duration to show up. Without remembering, I can't answer your question, but I will try to find the thread and the info later tonight when I have time. As long as you have a full backup, you can experiment yourself, and see if they work together, etc. Then you can tell me.

Originally posted by WillieB
    The end result is one phone_LOGO.prc with the AQUA buttons and my Guinness startup & shutdown screens... and it works. I guess this means that there can be only one prc overlaying your phone_CARRIER file?
    I'm not sure what order the overlay files are read, but I am fairly (?) sure that more than one can exist and work simultaneously. There are defined rules when the overlay files are keyed to the language of your T600, but I didn't see any rules regarding regular overlay files (as opposed to language based overlay files). Since I am pretty adept now at moving and editing resources, I do what you did; I move all the custom graphic modifications I want into one overlay file, and use that.

Originally posted by cmire
    what process did you use to restore the phone app to it's original state?
    The original phone app is in ROM, and you can't delete or edit it. If you've installed an older build of AQUA, you can remove it from RAM by (1) turning off the phone mode, (2) deleting the Phone.prc file in RAM using a utility like FileZ, and (3) immediately (soft) resetting your T600.

Originally posted by jennyfur and TravelDude
    Can anyone post the screen shots
    Go to the treo600essential site and you can check out all the graphics there.

Originally posted by mathewlu
    the dial pad the images are not dithered correctly. However, if I have the default view set to dial pad it looks fine.
    As randyg mentioned, this is a known "bug" with the AQUA graphics, and I haven't had time to figure out why the T600 is setting the screen to 8-bit when it goes into the dial pad mode. If I get a chance tonight, I'm gonna make up a version of the AQUA overlay with ALL the pictures set to 16-bit, and see if that fixes the problem. As it now stands, the AQUA graphics for the numbers are in 8-bit, and I was thinking that maybe changing them to 16-bit would work around the bug. If it does, I'll update all the AQUA files I uploaded. I have NOT checked out the Colorize program, but that apparently provides a workaround. Another workaround might be to create 8-bit versions that didn't show dithering for the four button resources, and add them to the AQUA file. When I get some time I plan on looking into this further, as I don't like the dithered look when in dial pad mode either, and I don't think I want to add another program (Colorize) to my T600 just to fix this.

Originally posted by WillieB
    - the phone_XXXX (where XXXX is a four-letter carrier-specific identifier) is in ROM, and not overwritable;

- the phone_LOGO.prc or phone_AQUA.prc are in flash;

- functionally, the flash databases are overlaid over the ROM version (which is why they only contain graphics and the overlay resource)...

Do I have this right?
    Mostly. The phone_LOGO.prc or phone_AQUA.prc are in RAM, not flash. The ROM is flash memory, the main memory is just RAM. The overlay files can contain anything, not just graphics. In fact, the original AQUA files overlayed the entire Phone.prc app in ROM. Finally, the overlay resource in a file appears to be ignored by the T600. The overlay resource in my files, as well as in the original files, isn't actually constructed properly for the resources it's supposed to describe. If I could find a program to create proper overlay resources, I'd fix them .

Whew, lots of answers.

Bill S

ps If you reply to this message, please don't quote this whole message in your reply; just quote the appropriate part.
  16.    #17  
    Originally posted by Ettore
    Phone_Aqua.prc includes some startup and shutdown logo.
    Please can U post the version without the logo.
    Umm, no, Phone_AQUA.prc does not contain startup and shutdown logos. I just downloaded both the zip and prc version to make sure I didn't accidentally upload the wrong file. The startup and shutdown logos you are seeing are built into your phone (or you added them previously with some other file).

PhoneTMo_AQUA contains startup and shutdown logos for T-Mobile.

Originally posted by enman
    am I missing something just how do you get the favorites screen to look like Derik's phone buttons
    You ask Derek to make you some?

You're not missing anything. None of the AQUA enhancements came with new graphics for the favorites screen. I think there may be some favorites screen replacements available on the treo600essentials site, but I'm not sure.

Bill S
    Bill S [/B][/QUOTE]
    Umm, no, Phone_AQUA.prc does not contain startup and shutdown logos.
    Yes it does-at least on the Sprint Treo. After a hard reset, my phone will display the Sprint startup screen. After installing phone_AQUA.prc, I instead get a not-so attractive "Handspring" logo screen.

FYI - I did manage to get it to work finally - took a few soft resets. Looks nice, save for the startup logo.
    No hard reset here, or even a soft reset, but I too see the default Handspring logo screen along with the Aqua dialpad.
    I just meant to indicate that I've done a hard reset, which went back to my Sprint screen. Which means that it is in ROM. Which means the AQUA overlays it in RAM.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast