Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Originally posted by tvBilly
    I hope it's as intuitive for you as it is for me (and that you like what I did).

Bill S
    tvBilly,

I had one of derek's old AQUA skins. Just switched to your TMO AQUA skin. Like it a lot. Thanks for the effort!

rgds,

aolumide
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    I've created an additional set of AQUA files that include some customized Favorites buttons that I made for myself. The graphics are based on Derek's AQUA buttons (of course), but they've been resized and changed to suit being on the Favorites screen rather than the Dial Pad.

The basic Favorite button is gray, like the * and # Dial Pad buttons in AQUA, but with the graphic modified to better show the text on the button.

The selected Favorite button is blue, like the number Dial Pad buttons in AQUA, also with the graphic modified to better show the text on the button.

The empty Favorite button is gray, but the graphic is just different enough that it's obvious that nothing has been assigned to the button yet.

When you press down on the screen on a Favorite button, it highlights in RED if something has been assigned to the button (indicating that when you let go of the button, some task is going to be performed). If the button is empty, the graphic changes when you press the button, but it doesn't turn red, and you'll just go to the "configure this button" screen.

I hope it's as intuitive for you as it is for me (and that you like what I did).

Note that if you've installed one of the standard AQUA packages I made, you'll need to remove it; the AQUA+ version will not replace it and you'll wind up with both installed, which is not a good idea. Only one will work, and there's no way to predict which one...

I've updated the primary message in this thread to include the new links, but to save you time, here they are too:

PhoneAQUA+ for International (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for International (zip)

Bill S
    Hi Bill,

Could you kindly post a version of the PhoneAQUA+_INT.prc with the "blue towers" connecting/disconnecting logos? That would pretty much complete the modifications that I would like to my phone interface. I'm sure quite a few people would be interested in this too.

If it's too much trouble, don't bother. In any case, your efforts thus far are very very much appreciated.

Thanks!

CY.
    I like the overlay idea a lot, but I lost the ability to change my carrier logo after installing the file. So I deleted and now I have the carrier logo and dial pad I got from D Money. So It would be nice to be able to just insert any pic I download into your overlay for a carrier logo....that would be really kewl.
    Could someone PLEASE create and post a pack of different colors for the AQUA dail pad to represent the different wireless carriers like: Sprint(red), T-Mobile(pink), At&t(default Aqua), Orange(uhhh...orange), etc... Also add other colors like yellow, green or anything else that'll look cool. Just a suggestion .
    Can or is it possible to use the same aqua colors and assign them to my default Contact list????? can you huh can you.

You are the man!!
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
    Can you, can you, can you?

The answer is sure, TVBilly can, and now that I've spent a few days playing around (and getting some help from Bill) so can I.

But, unfortunately, I'm not retired, and I don't think Bill is, either. Doing these changes, while not difficult, takes time, and if we start doing custom requests for everyone who wants one I'm not sure we'll have time to do anything else.

It's really NOT that hard. If you find my post a bit above, and read the instructions in those links, you can find the screens you want and build an overlay file yourself. And then you can have a truly unique design, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I hope Bill doesn't mind me "hijacking" his thread. I don't think he will, since he's done more to help me create these files than anyone else. (Thanks Bill!)

I've also created a set of Aqua buttons. Very similar to TVBilly's except for my color choices. Mine use the Aqua blue buttons are for the default color, so they look a little more like the Aqua dialpad. I'm posting them here as an alternative, should anyone be interested.

And PLEASE, I don't care if you like mine better or Bill's better, and I really don't want to know. I created this set for me, for fun, and to learn. So they're to my taste. If you want to use them, great. If you like Billy's better, that's great too.

IOW, I don't want a pissing contest over who's are "better." (Fact is, I think Billy's buttons are better than mine, but I like my color scheme better. I was tempted to steal his buttons and just change them to my color scheme, but that hardly seems right.)

And, as always, credit must first go to Derek985, who's original Aqua phone buttons I copied and modified, and to Jake Pratt, who's web site got me started, and to TVBilly who figured out the right way to modify the overlay file and helped me learn from my mistakes.

The following files are identical to those TVBilly posted earlier, except for the favorites buttons. And, as with his, you MUST delete any old phone overlay files you have installed before you load mine. And if you decide you don't like my buttons, just delete the overlay file and reinstall whatever you like better.

So here are mine. Enjoy:

PhoneAQUA+FAV_ATTW.prc
    PhoneAQUA+FAV_ATTW.zip

PhoneAQUA+FAV_CNGW.prc
    PhoneAQUA+FAV_CNGW.zip

PhoneAQUA+FAV_INT.prc
    PhoneAQUA+FAV_INT.zip

PhoneAQUA+FAV_ORNG.prc
    PhoneAQUA+FAV_ORNG.zip

PhoneAQUA+FAV_SPCS.prc
    PhoneAQUA+FAV_SPCS.zip

PhoneAQUA+FAV_TMO.prc
    PhoneAQUA+FAV_TMO.zip
    Bob Meyer
  8.    #108  
    Originally posted by meyerweb

I hope Bill doesn't mind me "hijacking" his thread. I don't think he will, since he's done more to help me create these files than anyone else. (Thanks Bill!)
    I don't mind at all; a thread isn't something you can "hijack", it's meant to serve as a place for everyone to give and take.

I've also created a set of Aqua buttons. Very similar to TVBilly's except for my color choices. Mine use the Aqua blue buttons are for the default color, so they look a little more like the Aqua dialpad. I'm posting them here as an alternative, should anyone be interested.
    Not that you asked , but I went with the gray buttons as the default for two reasons. First, the gray buttons seem to show the gradations better. The 8-bit graphics are essentially as smooth as 16-bit graphics (16-bit graphics don't display in the Favorites screen). The blue (and red) button graphics I made are just not as smoothly textured. This may be due to the fact I used PRCEdit for everything, not PhotoShop. I'm a Mac user running VirtualPC when I need to do PC stuff (PRCEdit), and didn't want to bother downloading PhotoShop CS for the PC, installing it, and digging out a pirate serial number. I own PhotoShop CS on the Mac, and missed it sorely when I was editing the graphics with PRCEdit.

Second, I wanted the Favorites screen to look a little different from the Dial Pad screen. You can tell at a glance which screen you're on. One is blue, one is gray. (Well, this may be a tiny bit of a stretch, as the Dial Pad screen has less buttons and they're smaller). Also, when I look at a screen with one blue button and nine gray buttons, the blue one looks like the selected button to me. When I look at a screen with one gray button and nine blue buttons, I don't "feel" like the single gray button is selected.

(Fact is, I think Billy's buttons are better than mine, but I like my color scheme better. I was tempted to steal his buttons and just change them to my color scheme, but that hardly seems right.)
    Feel free; it's not like you don't manage to credit or thank me in every message. Maybe you can turn the smooth wonderful 8-bit gray button I did into two equally smooth wonderful 8-bit blue and red buttons, which I will gladly steal from you...

The following files are identical to those TVBilly posted earlier, except...
    Well, don't forget about the 'ovly' resource, which I keep meaning to teach you how to modify, but I never seem to get around to. If your graphics are exactly the same size (bytewise, not dimension wise) as mine, and you just took my AQUA+ files and changed the Favorites buttons, then the 'ovly' in your files is correct; otherwise it's not. As you know, this probably makes zero difference.

Bill S
    Ok, so I tried using PRCedit (taken from JakePratt.com) in an attempt to change the connecting/disconnecting logos to the "blue towers".

I tried using both PhoneAQUA+FAV_INT.prc (from meyerweb) and PhoneAQUA+_INT.prc (from tvbilly).

Opened the file(s) in PRCedit. Tried to access bitmap #6851 and 6861 (the connecting/disconnecting logos), but PRCedit crashes when trying to open either one of these bitmaps. Other bitmaps in these prc files can be opened without any problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  10.    #110  
    I'm afraid I can't help you much with PRCEdit crashing. I'm a Macintosh user who occasionally runs a Windows emulator (Virtual PC). I'm running Windows2000 on the emulator, and PRCEdit opens the carrier logo resources just fine?

Bill S
    All good points. To each his own taste, which is why I (like you) am encouraging others to figure out the process, too.

Well, don't forget about the 'ovly' resource, which I keep meaning to teach you how to modify, but I never seem to get around to. If your graphics are exactly the same size (bytewise, not dimension wise) as mine, and you just took my AQUA+ files and changed the Favorites buttons, then the 'ovly' in your files is correct; otherwise it's not. As you know, this probably makes zero difference.

Bill S
    Well, my graphics are the same dimensions, but not likely exactly the same number of bytes. But I'll check out of curiousity. Whenever you get a chance to document the ovly resource changes needed, I'm all ears (or eyes, I guess).

But my statement about the overlay resource is accurate. I didn't change it, so it's EXACTLY the same as yours.
    Bob Meyer
    Originally posted by cywong

Opened the file(s) in PRCedit. Tried to access bitmap #6851 and 6861 (the connecting/disconnecting logos), but PRCedit crashes when trying to open either one of these bitmaps. Other bitmaps in these prc files can be opened without any problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    That interesting. I've had that problem with a couple of the other graphics, but not these.

At what point does it crash? Before I make any assumptions, let me walk through how I use PRCedit:

1. Start the program, then click File / Open and select the desired PRC file.

2. Click the + next to "bitmaps" to expand the list.

3. Double click the desired resource, or click it and then click 'Open'.

==> Does it bomb here?

4. Click "edit" under the 8-bit check box

==> Or does it bomb here?

If it bombs after step 4, try this: Instead of clicking Edit, uncheck the 8-bit check box. This will give tell you you're deleting the bitmap. Click "OK". Then check the 8 bit check box, to create a new bitmap. Set the dimensions to 160x160. Then click edit, and copy & paste the desired bitmap into the displayed window.

If it bombs after step 3, try this: Instead of opening the resource, delete it. Click on 6851 or 6861, then Ctrl-X to delete it completely. Then choose New Resource / Bitmap from the menu, assign it the desired ID (6851 or 6861) and click open. Then select the 8 bit check box, define it as 160x160, and cut / paste in the graphic you want.

And here's another alternative if the graphic you want is already in another prc file. Open the file you want to change AND the file the graphic is in at the same time. In the file you want to change, select the resource and Ctrl-X. Then, in the file you want the graphic from, select the resource and click Ctrl-C. Then switch back to the file you're updating and click Ctrl-P. That will paste the entire resource into the new file.

One more thing. The version of PRCedit we got from Jake Pratt's site doesn't correctly display compressed bitmaps. (Bill: that's why I didn't see 2 of the 5 bitmaps used for the normal favorites buttons.) There's a free program, Palm Bitmap Extractor, that will let you view and copy compressed bitmaps. It doesn't handle 16 bit graphics correctly, but that doesn't matter for these files, at least. I tried to attach it, but it's too big. You can download it from here

Finally, note that one of the fields displayed in PRCedit is "PRC name." This is the name the Palm OS recognizes. If you change the PC file name, but not the internal file name, the PC name will be ignored once you hot sync it to the Treo.

HTH. If not, describe exactly what's happening and I'll give it some more thought.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 02/23/2004 at 07:58 AM.
    Bob Meyer
    Without getting too technical, I need Billy or Meyer to help me out. Please dont say for me to refer to such 'n' such post....because I have read them all.

To someone that is new to all this, the many post regarding removing and not removing....especially while this was still a work in progress, have confused the heck out of me.

My T6 is SPCS. I would like to know what exactly am I supposed to delete/remove from phone to use your version of dialpad and favorites.

Please keep it simple....some of us are just wanna be hackers.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Well, that may be hard to answer. Have you ever installed any other phone overlay files to either:

a) get the aqua phone buttons, or
    b) turn on the call time feature in the Sprint version's call log (phone_logo.prc)?

If you installed (b), then you need to delete it.

If you installed one of the various versions of (a), you need to delete that file. But since there have been numerous versions, with different file names, I can't tell you specifcally what file to delete.

If you've never installed ANY overlay file, then you don't have to delete anything.

If you're really not sure, try this:

Using FileZ or any other file manager, look at the files in RAM (PalmCard). I believe all the overlay files I've seen start with the word phone, so scroll down the list until you get to the PH entries. If you have the option in your file manager, choose NOT to view ROM files. (In FileZ, make the the box in the lower left corner labelled "ROM" is unchecked.)

See if you have any files that start with "Phone" other than these built in apps:

Phone_HsPh.app
    PhoneCallDB
    PhoneFavoritesDB

If you have any others, check the creator id to make sure they don't belong to some other app you've installed. If the creator id is NOT HsPh, don't delete them.

So, if you have any "phone" apps with a creator id of HsPh, OTHER than the three above, there's a good chance it's a phone overlay file. If it has the word "Aqua" in the title, then it's almost certain its a phone overlay file. If it's called phone_logo.prc, then it is definitely a phone overlay file.

If it's a phone overlay file, you should delete it. But you might want to copy it to your SD card, if you have one, before you delete it. Just as a backup.

HTH,
    Bob Meyer
    I have never used any of this stuff. so whatever phone files were on my phone at the time I rec'd it are still in tact.

I am not big on testing applications; I prefer the finished product. From what I have read so far, seems like it as is finished as it is going to get, so, now I am ready to use Aqua.
    ~ ScandaLous ~

That interesting. I've had that problem with a couple of the other graphics, but not these.

At what point does it crash? Before I make any assumptions, let me walk through how I use PRCedit:

1. Start the program, then click File / Open and select the desired PRC file.

2. Click the + next to "bitmaps" to expand the list.

3. Double click the desired resource, or click it and then click 'Open'.

==> Does it bomb here?

4. Click "edit" under the 8-bit check box

==> Or does it bomb here?

If it bombs after step 4, try this: Instead of clicking Edit, uncheck the 8-bit check box. This will give tell you you're deleting the bitmap. Click "OK". Then check the 8 bit check box, to create a new bitmap. Set the dimensions to 160x160. Then click edit, and copy & paste the desired bitmap into the displayed window.

If it bombs after step 3, try this: Instead of opening the resource, delete it. Click on 6851 or 6861, then Ctrl-X to delete it completely. Then choose New Resource / Bitmap from the menu, assign it the desired ID (6851 or 6861) and click open. Then select the 8 bit check box, define it as 160x160, and cut / paste in the graphic you want.

And here's another alternative if the graphic you want is already in another prc file. Open the file you want to change AND the file the graphic is in at the same time. In the file you want to change, select the resource and Ctrl-X. Then, in the file you want the graphic from, select the resource and click Ctrl-C. Then switch back to the file you're updating and click Ctrl-P. That will paste the entire resource into the new file.

Deleted the relevant bitmaps and then tried to copy and paste resource file from another prc file and it works! Didn't realise it was that easy to do! Thanks a lot!

& FYI, PRCedit crashed at step 3 as you described in your post.

Thanks again.

CY.

See if you have any files that start with "Phone" other than these built in apps:

Phone_HsPh.app
    PhoneCallDB
    PhoneFavoritesDB
    These are the ONLY phone files I have....now what do I do?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Originally posted by scandalex

These are the ONLY phone files I have....now what do I do?
    Sorry I wasn't clear. Those are desirable files. Leave them alone. All you need to do now is download the prc (or zip) file you want to use, install it to your Treo via the hotsync process, and go! You'll see the new buttons in the dial pad and favorites.
    Bob Meyer
    Love the purple!
    Originally posted by Preston
    Love the purple!
    I second that!

BTW, anyone know how to change the font to bold or something a bit more pronounced (specifically on the favorites buttons)

Thanx Everyone that contributed to these great designs!!!!!!!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast