Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Forgot to attach the file again:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Here are the modified Derek / Billy / Bob favorites bitmaps:
    Bob Meyer
    I created the Aqua screen for Verizon per your instructions. It looks great!
    Originally posted by meyerweb

In this message I'm attaching the complete Sprint logo file, with TVBilly's updated Aqua buttons for the dial pad, my update of Billy's buttons for favorites, reordered Call log / dial pad, and my customized Handspring hello/goodbye screens. I'll attach just the favorites buttons in subsequent messages if anyone wants to do their own editing with them.
    I'm no hacker/programmer, but I love all these enhancements!
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

But if I could ask a favor???
    Could someone create a .prc with the complete Sprint logo file, with TVBilly's updated Aqua buttons for the dial pad, the update of Billy's aqua buttons for favorites, reordered Call log / dial pad, but keep the Sprint hello/goodbye screens??
    Pretty please??

Thanks!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    ] I'm no hacker/programmer, but I love all these enhancements! But if I could ask a favor???
    Could someone create a .prc with the complete Sprint logo file, with TVBilly's updated Aqua buttons for the dial pad, the update of Billy's aqua buttons for favorites, reordered Call log / dial pad, but keep the Sprint hello/goodbye screens??
    Pretty please??

Thanks!

Make that a double!
    Originally posted by techiechick

I'm no hacker/programmer, but I love all these enhancements!
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

But if I could ask a favor???
    Pretty please??

Thanks!
    This should do the trick:
    Bob Meyer
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Thanx meyerweb!
    Anybody have a PRC with agua buttons for the dial and favorites with the AT&T connect/disconnect screens?

Also - I used to use the original agua phone.prc app - one additional thing it had was a cool icon for voicemail (yellow envelope instead of the lame tape reel icon). Has anyone added to this PRC?

Thanks,
    Tvbilly mentioned he would post some instructions on how to add custom graphics to the overlay files. As noted in some of the above posts, lots of us would like to add our own graphics to our phones, but don't know how. As a designer I know how to make the graphic files and don't know anything about how to insert them in the phone file. If someone could post some instructions it would be greatly appreciated.
    Originally posted by jcatan
    Tvbilly mentioned he would post some instructions on how to add custom graphics to the overlay files. As noted in some of the above posts, lots of us would like to add our own graphics to our phones, but don't know how. As a designer I know how to make the graphic files and don't know anything about how to insert them in the phone file. If someone could post some instructions it would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm with you on that one jcatan... I'm also a designer and would make a bunch of stuff myself if I actually had some clue how to make then usable. I know absolutely squat about prc's or coding anything other than html. I need the "phone modifications for dummies" book heheh
    I would like to see a phone overlay that has buttons like the Cobalt (OS6) phone app has.

How do we change the images?
    Forgot to attach the file again:
    Turns out there's a minor bug in this file, and all the other Aqua - Favorites files I've made. It won't cause any problems, but if you tap the on-screen aqua favorites button, the "down button" image is still the old, boring, flat button. I'll fix that in the near future and repost.

When I get a chance, I'll add the Aqua favorites buttons (including the "down" button) to all of the prc files Billy created and repost them here.

I've got a link at home, I think, to a page that has basic instructions on modifying the prc files to make these kind of changes. I'll try to remember to post it tonight. As long as you always experiment on a copy, I don't think there's much you can do to really harm your phone. Worst case, just delete the file you made and start over.

As for custom bitmaps, envelope icons, etc.: Those changes are all pretty easy to do, but trying to keep up with all the combinations of requests would be a nightmare. But once you figure out how to do it, you can copy and paste bitmaps from one file to another, or from a graphics app to the prc file easily. The envelop icon is the the Sprint file, so if you want it in your customized file from another carrier just copy and paste it in.
    Bob Meyer
    Thanks in advance meyerweb for any guidance you can provide. I'm not really afraid of causing a phone probem, I just don't know how to get started. If more of us non-programers knew how to do this, we'd have a lot more choices of phone graphics.

And to jennyfur's point, phone mods for dummies might not be simple enough
  14.    #94  
    I'm glad to see that everyone is getting on the customization bandwagon, and creating "versions" of the Phone graphics that suit their fancy. It especially pleases me that everyone is sharing, and those that know how are creating for those that don't. This is the whole idea.

I've been very busy the past week, which is why I haven't had time to answer all the individual questions, though I did have time to pmail meyerweb with some mistakes I've noticed and some observations. I should have time late tonight or over the weekend to post a couple of my usual humongous messages.

A couple of quick things. The favorites buttons should probably have 16-bit versions as well as the 8-bit versions. As with the standard Phone buttons, they just look better. I know that the 8-bit versions I created of the standard AQUA Phone buttons look much better than the dithered versions, but they don't look as good as the original 16-bit versions Derek created. That's why I didn't replace Derek's 16-bit versions, I just added my 8-bit versions. The Palm OS will automatically use the best version that the current screen depth supports. For the same reason, the AQUA version of the favorites buttons should also have both the 8 and 16 bit versions. (And meyerweb accidentally missed one (actually, two, as I recall from my last look) of the favorites button graphics, as he mentioned in a previous message).

Some of the new "connecting" and "Disconnecting" logos are really great, but MUCH larger then necessary. The very cool Verizon logo is an example of this.

I should also probably write up a message about modifying the ovly resource inside the overlay files everyone's creating. No one has been updating the contents of this resource to correspond with the changes that are being made to the file. Probably inconsequential, as the Palm OS seems to ignore this resource unless it's part of a language overlay file, which this isn't.

Much, much more later, when I have a little more time.

Bill S

ps It's a whole different animal to replace standard Palm buttons with graphic versions. Replacing the three buttons at the bottom of the Dial Pad screen will require a completely different methodology than what we've been doing for the (already graphic format) buttons elsewhere.
    I should probably mention that,while I have a lot of programming experience, this is my first stab at anything resembling Palm Programming. And also thank Billy for being the catalyst and for trying to point me I the right direction. But where I've taken the wrong fork, I've done it completely on my own.

I've got a link at home, I think, to a page that has basic instructions on modifying the prc files to make these kind of changes. I'll try to remember to post it tonight. As long as you always experiment on a copy, I don't think there's much you can do to really harm your phone. Worst case, just delete the file you made and start over.
    OK. The link is http://www.jakepratt.com/

Scroll almost all of the way down the page. to the entry labelled "Two days old and already I'm modding." This has the basic instructions on how to edit the bitmap resources in a prc file. But I started with Billy's carrier specific file for Sprint, posted earlier in this thread.

I also got some information out of this thread, here on TC:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...+and+aqua.html

And then I basically hacked around, looking at bitmaps until I found the ones I wanted. Initially I cut the graphic as a bitmap and pasted it into the new resource I wanted. I later discovered you can cut a paste a complete resource entry from one prc to another.

If what you put together looks horrible, no worries! Just delete it from your Palm and try again.

Good luck
    Bob Meyer
    Can someone PLEASE change and offer diffd
    Can someone repost the process for changing the FAVORITE button so they would look AQUAish?
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
  19.    #99  
    I've created an additional set of AQUA files that include some customized Favorites buttons that I made for myself. The graphics are based on Derek's AQUA buttons (of course), but they've been resized and changed to suit being on the Favorites screen rather than the Dial Pad.

The basic Favorite button is gray, like the * and # Dial Pad buttons in AQUA, but with the graphic modified to better show the text on the button.

The selected Favorite button is blue, like the number Dial Pad buttons in AQUA, also with the graphic modified to better show the text on the button.

The empty Favorite button is gray, but the graphic is just different enough that it's obvious that nothing has been assigned to the button yet.

When you press down on the screen on a Favorite button, it highlights in RED if something has been assigned to the button (indicating that when you let go of the button, some task is going to be performed). If the button is empty, the graphic changes when you press the button, but it doesn't turn red, and you'll just go to the "configure this button" screen.

I hope it's as intuitive for you as it is for me (and that you like what I did).

Note that if you've installed one of the standard AQUA packages I made, you'll need to remove it; the AQUA+ version will not replace it and you'll wind up with both installed, which is not a good idea. Only one will work, and there's no way to predict which one...

I've updated the primary message in this thread to include the new links, but to save you time, here they are too:

PhoneAQUA+ for Sprint (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for Sprint (zip)

PhoneAQUA+ for TMobile (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for TMobile (zip)

PhoneAQUA+ for International (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for International (zip)

PhoneAQUA+ for AT&T Wireless (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for AT&T Wireless (zip)

PhoneAQUA+ for Orange (Generic, UK) (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for Orange (Generic, UK) (zip)

PhoneAQUA+ for Cingular (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for Cingular (zip)

Bill S
    Originally posted by tvBilly
    I've created an additional set of AQUA files that include some customized Favorites buttons that I made for myself. The graphics are based on Derek's AQUA buttons (of course), but they've been resized and changed to suit being on the Favorites screen rather than the Dial Pad.

Looks great, thanks a lot!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast