Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by Indicator

After installing phone_AQUA.prc, I instead get a not-so attractive "Handspring" logo screen.

FYI - I did manage to get it to work finally - took a few soft resets. Looks nice, save for the startup logo.
    OK, I know what's going on. The mistake is mine, and I should be able to fix it.

First, there really, really, really aren't any logo graphics in the phone_aqua version.

The phone_aqua file is overriding the sprint logo overlay in ROM, but phone_aqua has no logo graphics, so you get the hideous logos in the Phone.prc application itself (in ROM).

sigh.

The Phone.prc app in ROM has (never meant to be seen) logo graphics. These logo graphics are normally overlayed with either carrier designed or handspring designed Phone_xxxx.prc files. These overlay files are also in ROM. When you install my build of aqua, the overlay resource in aqua is telling your T600 that it has the logo graphics. When your T600 needs them, it can't find them in the aqua file, so it falls back to using what it has itself, the horrible never meant to be seen version.

I can duplicate the problem on my INT GSM phone, so I should be able to fix it later tonight. For now, use the PhoneTMo_AQUA version; even though the startup screen will say T-Mobile, it isn't as ugly as the one in the Phone.prc in ROM

Bill S
    tvBilly,

I think the new bottons are great. I to have a t600 with sprint and the kinda ugly on and off phone screens. If I could have the slick button, and the not much better sprint screen back that would be great.

Also I too see the dithered button on the dialpad in a call. If that can be fixed as well, then my hat's off to you!

Wish I knew how to tinker with this stuff!
  3.    #23  
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    There's an earlier hack, named phone_logo.prc, which evolved about the same time as the Aqua buttons. phone_logo.prc allows the Sprint Treo call log to display call duration.

Are your files compatible with this? Should I remove phone_logo.prc if I install one of your files? If so, will your files still let me see the call duration in the log?

Thanks much.
    Maybe one day I'll be able to post a three line message.

meyerweb (and those following the saga): I figured it out. There's good news, and there's bad news.

First the bad news. It seems that WillieB's "I guess this means that there can be only one prc overlaying your phone_CARRIER file?" was correct. At least I haven't been able to figure out a way to have more than one overlay file. All the modifications have to go in the one overlay file, and the built in overlay in ROM is not used if there's one in RAM.

So this means that in the same vein as not wanting an old or alien version of the Phone application running, and in my (our) quest to modify and second guess with the least amount of trauma to our phones, there really should be a different version of the AQUA overlay for each phone. But I get ahead of myself. (It's 4am here).

Here's what we know.

The Phone application is in ROM, and has certain resources added to it via a custom overlay file, which is also in ROM. This custom overlay file adds carrier specific graphics (like the little envelope in the Sprint overlay, and the different "Connecting" dialogs), and it also adds carrier specific preferences.

We can replace the Phone application by putting a copy in RAM (which we can then modify), but we really don't want to mess with the application itself. There are lots of different versions, and installing, removing, and modifying it is fraught with dangers. The T600 boots into the Phone application; if we mess it up, and it keeps resetting the phone, the only way out is via a hard reset. So this is a no-no unless there is no other way.

We can replace the carrier specific overlay file by putting a copy in RAM. This makes lots of sense since it's easy and safe to install and remove and modify, requiring not even a soft reset. The only down side to doing this is that the overlay file we put in RAM will effectively make the carrier overlay in ROM invisible. So every resource in the carrier overlay goes away, even those that don't have a corresponding replacement in our RAM version.

What this means is that we need to see what's in the different carrier overlay files. I have the INTernational 1.09 and Sprint 1.0 carrier specific overlay files here, but I need the carrier specific overlay files for the Cingular and AT&T and Sprint 1.1 and Orange UK and FR, etc to see what the different carriers are adding.

The INT carrier specific file only adds the "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphics; nothing else.

The Sprint carrier specific file also adds the "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphics, but then adds a handful of other graphics, as well as three preference resources. One of these resources (or a bit in one of these resources) controls whether call duration is displayed or not. Another has something to do with Blazer.

So the very short form of the procedure, if you're a hacker like me, is to copy your carrier specific overlay file out of the ROM, edit it, adding whatever graphic resources you want, and changing whatever preferences you want.

Unfortunately, this is not the best way for most people. I am happy to make up all the files and post them on my site, but as with the short lived DAAK project, I'll need people to send me carrier specific overlay files from each different carrier, so I can make up the specific overlay files for each one.

This is not as big a deal as it sounds; we're only talking about a half dozen different files, I already have two of them, and they're all tiny. Downloading an overlay is much faster than downloading the whole Phone.prc file!

I gotta get some sleep, but there is still the part where we figure out what the three Sprint preference resources control (so we don't blindly hack them all out without having a clue what we're doing).

Oh, and I figured out how to edit the ovly resource, even though it's apparently not used, so that its format is correct for all the resources we add.

More tomorrow.

Bill S
    I understood what was going on after editing the phone.prc file in rom and finding there the ORRIBLE logo, then the italian customization file and finding the correct logo.

But I use PRC explorer and I don't know how to rebuild the resources or changing the bitmaps.

can you tell me what prgs are you using for the editing ?

Thanks
    Ciao

Ettore
    Derek if you're out there, can you PLEASE make Aqua favorites and quick dial buttons? Thx.
    Bill - thanks for all your work on this. Really, I like the buttons enough to not worry about the startup/shutdown logo, so don't sweat it too much.

Thus far, I have both the "call duration" hack and the AQUA buttons (both of which modified phone____.prc running with no problems.
    Thanks, TVBilly. This is what I wanted.

As to multiple versions of the logos, why not a clean, nice looking, carrier-free version with login screens and so on?
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Indicator
    Bill S
    Yes it does-at least on the Sprint Treo. After a hard reset, my phone will display the Sprint startup screen. After installing phone_AQUA.prc, I instead get a not-so attractive "Handspring" logo screen.

FYI - I did manage to get it to work finally - took a few soft resets. Looks nice, save for the startup logo. [/B][/QUOTE]

I am getting the same thing. Handspring logo screens.

James
    Does the buttons only file only have buttons for phone dialing, or should there be FAVORITES buttons too?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Preston
    As to multiple versions of the logos, why not a clean, nice looking, carrier-free version with login screens and so on?
    The aqua button version I have now by Derek has generic startup and shutdown screens which replaced the Sprint screens.

My wish for my Sprint phone is to have the slick aqua buttons for the dial pad and favorites (it would be awesome if Derek would make them), along with the call duration display.

I don't really care which startup and shutdown screens I have - Sprint or generic (though I haven't seen the 'ugly' default Handspring ones).

tvBilly, thanks for your hard work and time! I look forward to seeing if this all works out.

11.    #31  
    I wanted to mention again that I had nothing to do with creating any of these great graphics, Derek Kelly did the AQUA buttons, and he deserves the praise for how they look, not me. I'm just figuring out a better way to package them (and to incorportate other modifications to our Phone application). I'd also like to thank bob at meyerweb, who has been sending me files and testing things for me.

Here's an update to the AQUA package story, and some more files you can download. For a change, first the links, and then the long winded story.

PhoneAQUA for Sprint (prc)
    PhoneAQUA for Sprint (zip)

PhoneAQUA for TMobile (prc)
    PhoneAQUA for TMobile (zip)

PhoneAQUA for International (prc)
    PhoneAQUA for International (zip)

PhoneAQUA for AT&T Wireless (prc)
    PhoneAQUA for AT&T Wireless (zip)

PhoneAQUA for Orange (Generic, UK) (prc)
    PhoneAQUA for Orange (Generic, UK) (zip)

PhoneAQUA for Cingular (prc)
    PhoneAQUA for Cingular (zip)

And the AQUA+ series, which additionally includes customized graphics for the Favorites buttons. I modeled them after the AQUA phone buttons, added a little color here and there, and tried to make them as intuitive as possible. Note that if you've installed one of the standard AQUA packages linked above, you'll need to remove it; the AQUA+ version will not replace it and you'll wind up with both installed, which is not a good idea. Only one will work, and there's no way to predict which one...

PhoneAQUA+ for Sprint (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for Sprint (zip)

PhoneAQUA+ for TMobile (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for TMobile (zip)

PhoneAQUA+ for International (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for International (zip)

PhoneAQUA+ for AT&T Wireless (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for AT&T Wireless (zip)

PhoneAQUA+ for Orange (Generic, UK) (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for Orange (Generic, UK) (zip)

PhoneAQUA+ for Cingular (prc)
    PhoneAQUA+ for Cingular (zip)

Until I get the Orange France T600 Phone_ORFR.prc overlay file, those with Orange France T600s can use the Orange UK version of PhoneAQUA with no ill effects. Since I haven't seen an Orange France T600 yet, I can't tell you the difference between the Orange France and Orange UK "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphics.

To install the AQUA enhancement buttons, just download the appropriate file. If you download the prc version with your T600, the next time you go to the Phone application, you'll see the new graphics. No reset is necessary and you can leave Wireless mode on. If you download the zip version, you'll have to unzip it and install it (like you would any program you download that's in zip format).

Once you've installed it, if you want to remove it, just delete the file however you delete any file on your T600. No need to reset or turn off Wireless mode. The next time you go to the Phone application, you'll have the old (boring) buttons.

If you download the Sprint version, it's good for both the 1.0 and 1.1 firmware, and includes a 1 byte change to the Flag resource, enabling the display of call duration in the Call Log. All the other Sprint preference overrides from the carrier overlay are preserved in this AQUA version. (The Phone_LOGO.prc fix for displaying call duration removed all the Sprint preference overrides, this fix leaves them all alone and only changes the actual flag byte for displaying the duration in the Call Log. I don't know the purpose of the other overrides Sprint chose to make, and I don't think it's a good idea to just remove them without knowing). You should remember to remove the Phone_LOGO.prc file if you've installed it, as PhoneAQUA_SPCS has that functionality built in.

The TMobile version is the same as the INTernational version, except the "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphics say TMobile instead of Handspring.

The Cingular version is the same as the INTernational version, except the "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphics have the Cingular "Jack Splat" instead of the Handspring logo.

The AT&T version is the same as the INTernational version, except the "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphics say AT&T instead of Handspring, and there's a single additional resource with "AT&T Wireless" in it.

The Orange version is the same as the INTernational version, except the "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphics say Orange instead of Handspring, there are a couple of custom Orange icon resources, and a couple of additional resources with "Orange" in them.

These files are all overlay files, which are used to override resources in the built in Phone application. They are not patched versions of the Phone application.

You MUST remove any AQUA or LOGO or other overlay files you have previously installed before you install this new one. You can only have one overlay working at a time, even if they're named differently. If you have more than one overlay installed, only one of them will be used. If you are running the original AQUA release, which you downloaded from the treo600essentials site, you must turn off your Wireless service, remove the two AQUA files you have installed, and (soft) reset your T600. This is the proper way to remove the original AQUA enhancement, because it was based on replacing not just the Phone overlay file, but also the whole Phone.prc application. Warning! If you do have to remove the actual Phone.prc application (because you installed an original version of AQUA you downloaded from treo600essentials), you have to be careful that you only delete the application, not the application and its databases and preferences. If you delete its databases (unknowingly or accidentally), you'll find that all your Favorites are gone. You can restore them from your Backup folder that HotSync maintains on your desktop computer. Also be sure that you remove the old AQUA Phone.prc and overlay file from your backup folder, or you may wind up restoring them too!

If you have an Orange France T600, I'd love to get your Phone_ORFR.prc overlay file, so I can make an AQUA version that's customized for your phone. I think this is only one we don't have. Please pmail (private mail) me a message here on the forum so I can give you an email address to send it to me. It's a tiny file, about 10K when zipped.

Bill S

OK, for those of you that thought you had already read the whole long winded story, you didn't:

To replace any graphics in your Phone application, you have to either replace the application itself, or replace the overlay file the Phone application uses. Or both.

The original AQUA graphic enhancement replaces the whole Phone application and the overlay file. The "let Sprint phones display call duration" (Phone_LOGO.prc) enhancement replaces the overlay file.

Only one Phone application can be active at a time. Only one Phone overlay file can be active at a time. If there are multiple overlay files present, only one will be used. The others are ignored, even if they contain resources that aren't in the active overlay file.

The whole purpose of this exercise () was to give us all a means to make these modifications without having to replace the Phone application itself. If you read this whole thread, you'll see why replacing the application itself is a perilous, complicated task, and I won't reiterate here.

I've been moving all of the modifications we want to a single overlay file, that's easy to install and remove, but I initially didn't take into account one thing: An overlay file we put in RAM will replace the one in ROM, not supplement it.

What's normally in a carrier's overlay file? Customized graphics, and in the case of Sprint, an envelope icon to replace the spool icon used to signify voicemail, and three preference overrides. Each different carrier supplies Palm with a "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphic, plus any other custom graphics they want to use, and they're put in the carrier's overlay file that resides in ROM along with the Phone application itself. The Phone application is generic; all T600s get the same Phone application (though there are code updates to the Phone application that happen periodically too).

Since only one Phone overlay file can be active at a time, the AQUA overlay is going to override the normal carrier overlay. We must make sure that any resources in the normal carrier overlay are also in our overlay. In particular, the "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphics need to be in our overlay, because they won't be found if they're only in the normal carrier overlay (because we're overriding it).

So each carrier needs it's own AQUA overlay file, so its custom graphics and functions are preserved. This is not really a big deal, as there are only six or seven different carriers.

I have six done already, and linked at the top of this message. I need the normal carrier overlay file from the other carriers to complete the rest. If you can help, please do.

ps For the hackers: Besides the graphics, there are three Sprint specific preference resources stored in the carrier Phone_SPCS.prc overlay file in ROM. So far, only the Sprint carrier overlay file has anything but "Connecting" and "Disconnecting" graphics.

1) A cprf resource, ID 1000, 4 bytes long, containing 00 01 00 02. The cprf resource in the Phone.prc application is 00 01 00 01.The last byte controls the order of the "Call Log" and "Dial Pad" items in the "Redial List". 01 puts the Call Log item first and 02 puts the Dial Pad item first.

2) A dprf resource, ID 1000, 34 bytes long, has the creator ID for Blazer (BLZ5) along with other flags. The dprf in the Phone.prc application is identical except the the creator ID is lnch instead of BLZ5. lnch may be the creator ID for an earlier Browser...).

3) A Flag resource, ID 1000, 4 bytes long, containing all zeros (00 00 00 00)

The fourth byte in the Flag 1000 resource controls the display of call duration in the Call Log. In the AQUA version, I've changed this flag to true (01).

Ideally we'd want to know what every bit and byte in each of the resources tells the phone application to do, but it may take us a long while to figure them all out. Still, we don't want to remove them all if only one needs to be reset, since we don't know what they do (yet).
    Last edited by tvBilly; 02/21/2004 at 01:22 PM.
    Thanks so much! Using the Sprint version now and it looks great!

Still have to use Colorize to address the dithering issue, but that's just fine.

Thanks again,
    --Mathew
  13.    #33  
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    Thanks so much! Using the Sprint version now and it looks great!

Still have to use Colorize to address the dithering issue, but that's just fine.

Thanks again,
    --Mathew
    You're welcome. Though I don't use DialPad mode much, the dither there annoys me too; it's on the list of things I want to check out. Easiest (safest) way may be to just make nice (undithered) 8-bit copies of the 16-bit images, and add them in. I sorta refuse to run Colorize all the time just to deal with this, but if I had wallpaper up on the default Phone screen, instead of Derek's nice buttons, I suppose I'd feel differently.

Bill S
    How do you delete a previous version of the aqua file. I know how to delete applications, but I don't know where to find files such as these and how to delete them. Thanks.
    Filez is a free program (get is at palmgear.com) which lets you delete individual files, and also move files to/from the SD card. It is pretty useful generally, and will also let you delete the old version.

Thanks, TVBilly. I like this very much.
    Last edited by Preston; 02/13/2004 at 08:52 AM.
    Hi TvBilly,

I think I've found a small issue. It seems as if the one-key shortcuts in the phone app don't work anymore. For ex, it used to be if you'd press and held the '1' key it would dial voicemail. You could also assign one launch keys to other favorties, etc. Now nothing happens; if I press and hold the '1' key I just get a '1'. Anybody else notice this?

Best,
    --Mathew
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    One-Key shortcuts work just fine for me with the latest version. I'm using SPCS.

Rotello
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Regarding the dithering of the dial pad buttons - this may have already been covered, but I discovered the following:

1. After initial install of PhoneAQUA_SPCS.prc the dial pad buttons were dithered improperly.
    2. Turned Wireless Mode OFF.
    3. WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE after turning wireless mode off, I displayed the dial pad - buttons looked perfect (no messed up dithering).
    4. Launched application launcher (default Palm Launcher).
    5. Went back to phone app and the dial pad - the buttons were dithered improperly again.
    5. Turned Wireless Mode ON.
    6. WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE after turning wireless mode on, I displayed the dial pad - buttons looked perfect (no messed up dithering).
    7. Launched application launcher (default Palm Launcher).
    8. Went back to phone app and the dial pad - the buttons were dithered improperly again.

So it appears the messed up dithering has something to do with a change the treo600 makes when you leave the phone app the very first time after wireless mode is changed from off to on or vice-versa???? Maybe this is something well known (hence the existence of the Colorize program), but it's news to me and I thought I'd pass along my experiences as my contribution so the smart people around here can keep making improvements for people like me...

Rotello

P.S. a little edit here - I also just discovered that if I disable my wallpaper and display the dial pad, the buttons don't dither ever. BUT, I still left the 'Up' button on the 5-way set to 'Dial Pad' (like when I do show wallpaper), and even though the now 'default' (new AQUA) buttons look great all the time, if I press up to 'also' select the dial pad, they get dithered badly again. But if I hit the 'Phone' hardkey to go to the 'default' (new AQUA) buttons, they're still OK. All very weird to me... Keep up the good work Billy (and Derek!)
    Last edited by rotello; 02/13/2004 at 10:16 AM.
    I just loaded the Sprint file and I love it!

Thanks!

I second the motion about Derek creating a favorites file to match, that would be the bomb!
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Originally posted by mathewlu
    Hi TvBilly,

I think I've found a small issue. It seems as if the one-key shortcuts in the phone app don't work anymore. For ex, it used to be if you'd press and held the '1' key it would dial voicemail. You could also assign one launch keys to other favorties, etc. Now nothing happens; if I press and hold the '1' key I just get a '1'. Anybody else notice this?

Best,
    --Mathew
    have the same issue - I normally launch apps with holding down a key in phone app and they no longer work. I should have left everything the way it is but I wanted to save that 200K of memory. Also the connecting/disconnecting logos no longer work - defaults to Sprint. Oh well - keep up the efforts. Suggestion: maybe you could package the logos with the overlay files?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast