1.    #1  
    I know, becuase I just placed an order...

The "upgrade" page lets you choose between T-Mobile and unbranded T600 for the $399 price.

Even though I'm currently a T-Mo customer, I chose the unbranded option for fear that the T-Mo version might be locked... I guess we'll find out what the deal is later.

I'm surprised nobody's posted about it yet!
    You should've called them and asked what the deal was, I did. I just got off the phone with Handspring and they explained that only the T600 bought with a new service plan for T-Mobile comes SIM locked. The T-Mobile version for existing plans is unlocked and optimized for their network.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Great news, will place an order later today =)
  4.    #4  
    I find it suspicious that handspring would claim that the "t-mobile" version can come in locked and unlocked flavors... i'll take my chances with the unbranded version.
    Just got off the phone with T-mobile and Hanspring. Both told me that that T-mobile branded Treo 600 will come LOCKED. The unbranded comes UNLOCKED.

I asked to make sure there was nothing I wouldn't be able to do with the unbranded version on the T-mobile network - and both companies told me that both would work fine.

I choose the unbranded Treo 600.

Thought people might want this information.
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Wow I can't believe there's finally a light at the end of the T-Tunnel. I just ordered the generic as well. Higher re-sale value for when the 610 comes out.
    I spoke with HS sales and support. Both T600s being offered as upgrades to T-Mobile customers are UNLOCKED. Only the units bought through the T-Mobile business site are locked.
  8.    #8  
    so, we have conflicting info.

i'm sticking with my unbranded order... the certainty that it will be unlocked outweighs the chance that the phone will be somehow "optimized" for t-mobile (i mean, will that mean it features much more than t-mobile splash screen logos?)

plus resale value will certainly be higher with an unlocked/unbranded model.
    all i can tell you regarding the supposed "optimization" is what the handspring rep told me. he said the phone would perform better on t-mobile's network, specifically using data. he absolutlely assured me that the phone is unlocked when ordered on an existing plan. so i see no downside, especially since i don't plan on selling this phone on eBay anytime soon.
    The other thing to remember is that T-Mobile is very good at unlocking phones for existing customers. I called and explained that I was going overseas, and T-Mo sent me the unlock code relatively quickly. I had been a customer for over a year at the time. If you have had your account with them for a while (I'm not sure how long) they will unlock a locked phone for you.

I ordered the T-Mobile specific 600 for that very reason.
    We've certainly all been getting conflicting information.
    I just got off the phone with Handspring.

What they (and I) am pretty confident about is that if you order the upgrade WITH t-mobile service, you will get a locked phone.

If you do not order with new service activation...
    There are two stories that the same rep will tell you:
    1. The "optimized" version is unlocked, but has "settings" for T-mobile. "This may mean it comes with t-mobile literature." If you really press them, they'll tell you it may work better on t-mobile's data network. But then they'll turn around and tell you that it makes no difference.

2 (alt story). They only have ONE unlocked version. They ship two versions: locked and unlocked. The question about whether you want an unlocked one "optimized" or "generic" is moot and for "data collection" purposes only. This is hard to believe. Then again, I ordered the generic version (I think) from the website. When I called and asked which version I had ordered, they couldn't be specific, saying there is only one unlocked version. This is consistent with the story above.

If anyone gets more diffinitive information (say from some kind of "manager"), please reply and let us know!
    Could anyone tell me how long you have to cancel an order with t-mobil after you receive the phone? I'm with another carrier, but I'd like to get the t600 and just use my sim from my t270, which I'll use for the upgrade, then cancel the t-mobil phone number.

TX
    Originally posted by MadTreo
    Could anyone tell me how long you have to cancel an order with t-mobil after you receive the phone? I'm with another carrier, but I'd like to get the t600 and just use my sim from my t270, which I'll use for the upgrade, then cancel the t-mobil phone number.

TX
    i believe 14 days.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.

TX
    I'm extremely confused by your statement. If you are using your 270 to get the upgrade, then why would you be activating a new #? If you are upgrading, there is no need as it states exactly, "To buy Treo 600 for use with your existing service plan..." and you select T-mobile (if you already use them) or "other gsm". If you aren't going to use T-mobile, why not just choose the unbranded 600? What am I missing?
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TX
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm extremely confused by your statement. If you are using your 270 to get the upgrade, then why would you be activating a new #? If you are upgrading, there is no need as it states exactly, "To buy Treo 600 for use with your existing service plan..." and you select T-mobile (if you already use them) or "other gsm". If you aren't going to use T-mobile, why not just choose the unbranded 600? What am I missing?

Sorry for the confusion!

I've already ordered the t600 thru my carrier w/new #, the phone is for me, the sim w/new # will go in a old phone for my mother to use in emergencies, but there's still a month wait until they get their t600. I'd planned to sell the t270 to recoupe some money, but seeing the threads for the t-m phones for sale now, cheaper also, I'd like to get it now and save a few hundred dollars, but don't want to get caught with my pants down if I'm forced to get a t-m # with the phone.

The problem i'm looking at is that HS already has my t270 (only 6 weeks old) registered w/Cingular, so i'm sure you can see why i'm leary of ordering.

Guess I could just tell them that I had to change carriers due to coverage problems.

Anyway, that's for all the feedback.

TX
    For what it's worth, I just called Handspring (PalmOne) and explained that as I was placing my upgrade order for T-Mobile, I was given the two options. I said that my plan with T-Mobile is up in April and I'd like to leave myself the option of changing carriers at that time.

The rep's answer was that either of the options was "unlocked," but he'd recommend the unbranded one if I thought I might switch, even though it shouldn't make any difference.

By the way, if you check out the FAQ on the Treo 600 on PalmOne's site, you'll find the following Q's and A's for Cingular and AT&T (there doesn't appear to be one for T-Mobile yet, but it seems they've chose the route that Cingular does):

Q: Can I use the Cingular Wireless version of Treo 600 with another network?

A: It is possible to use the Cingular Wireless version of Treo 600 on another GSM/GPRS network, however, the software for this device has been optimized to ensure optimal performance on the Cingular network. Customers who attempt to use this version on other GSM/GPRS networks may experience issues such as slower data rates. There are also several sections of the software that display Cingular branding that cannot be changed. We highly recommend that customers of other GSM/GPRS mobile service providers wait until your mobile service provider's cerified version becomes available.

Q: Can I use my Treo 600 with AT&T Wireless service from another mobile service provider?

A: No, the Treo 600 with AT&T Wireless service is locked to the AT&T Wireless network and cannot be used with service from other providers.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    As a happy Cingular Treo 600 owner running a Tmo SIM, I thought about just keeping the Cingular Treo and not using my additional serial # for the upgrade. But with the potential of an optomized device for TMO, I decided to order anyway. When it does come in I may be able to do some tests between the 2 for data rates. Has anyone done this yet?

Depending on the results I will sell the Cingular version or the new Tmo version.