Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to SMS another phone on another carrier internationally? Does it cost money? My gf said she tried it and her phone said she put too many numbers. What's the correct format?

Thanks!
    Depends largely on your carrier. I can send SMS all over the world from my T-Mo account, no problems. It's included in my unlimited SMS plan. From what I understand, it can't be done from Sprint or Verizon though. Not sure about Cingular or AT&T.
    I too, am looking for a Treo 3rd party ap (OR website?) that will let me send SMS from my Sprint PCS Treo 600, to 12 digit Int'l #'s, like my friends have in the Philippines on their GSM phones (ie. 63920xxxxxxx, on the Smart &/or Globe Telecom Network there)

My Nokia tri-band 3100 Philippine mobile I ahve on Int'l Roaming here, but the load has run out (alto I can still recieve all my sms txts there; I just can't reply)

Any ideas?
    PJAMES
    As a test, I sent an SMS (from my Sprint T600) to my brother in law's Verizon phone (Startac) and he got it (he was sitting next to me). He didn't try replying though.

Originally posted by Alli
    Depends largely on your carrier. I can send SMS all over the world from my T-Mo account, no problems. It's included in my unlimited SMS plan. From what I understand, it can't be done from Sprint or Verizon though. Not sure about Cingular or AT&T.
    Originally posted by newtreouser
    As a test, I sent an SMS (from my Sprint T600) to my brother in law's Verizon phone (Startac) and he got it (he was sitting next to me). He didn't try replying though.

If you re-read my post, I'm specifically talking about international SMS. Of course you can all send/receive (or most Sprint customers will soon) in the US. But you can't send to an international number whereas T-Mo accounts can.
    I can send/receive sms on my TREO anywhere in the world and my provider is fido here in canada... It cost me .10 cents/ sms(incoming/outgoing)......I've been using SMS here in Toronto to send text message in the Philippines for almost 5 years now and it never fails.......

I just add "+" (this plus is equivalent to 011)before country code, I'm not sure about sprint if they allow international.....
    TREO 600 ROCKS !!!! I gave up my Zaurus sl-5500 and my Motorola v60i for it.

"Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply." -- Bruce Lee
    i can send text msgs from my sprint 600 to the UK providing i use their phones email address. 0#########@t-mobile.uk.net

they respond by replying to my msg

not sure about other areas in the world but if they can recieve email on their phone that might be the way to go
    Again Folks,

I'm with Sprint PCS here in the USA - when their sms service is up, THEY ONLY SUPPORT 10 DIGIT NORTH AMERICAN #'S FOR SMS...

...THEY DO NOT SUPPORT ANY INT'L 12 OR 13 DIGIT SMS TO ASIA, EURPOE, ETC.

Im' looking for a Palm or 3rd party app. that will support me sending SMS from my Sprint Treo 600, to Int'l #'s - any help?

Thanks,
    PJAMES

(I'm aware of the other carriers here in the USA that support Int'l SMS from the GSM Treo 600, and that's great, but I need to find a SPRINT PCS Solution)
    pjames,
    Just curious what is the difference btwn sending an sms to an int'l phone and sending an email from sprint's nat$
    The difference?

Try it (SMS to a 12 digi#) & see - it won't work!

Please re-read the above post.

I'm not talking about sending an SMS EMAIL to an overseas mobile (some GSM phones are capable of recieving it, some older ones are not)

SMS email, &/or Emailing to an overseas mobile is easy, when the recieving mobile phone supports it.

BASIC SMS FROM THE SPRINT PCS NETWORK IN THE USA, TO AN OVERSEAS 12 DIGI# MOBILE IS IMPOSSIBLE.

...thats why I'm asking if anyone knows of a 3rd party app. (SMS from the Treo 600, over the SPCS network, to overseas mobiles - USING 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE)

Does anyone know of this software?
    PJAMES
    here in australia it costs the same to send a sms locally or globally, the USA have been missing out big time by not having gsm.

basically I can send a sms to someone and not even know if they are in Australia, eg a friend of mine could be visiting his family in russia and if I sms his sydney number it will find him in russia.

cheers,
    dean
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    James,

I get your question. I have been craving a solution for the longest time as well. Back when we used Treo600SMS, I was hoping that Sprint's new SMS would allow for internationl texting. Now that we have SMS, I am disappointed that I am unable to do international SMS and reply to messages via AIM. Im hoping by the time Sprint officially unveils SMS to the nation, they will have setup an infrastrcture for internation. If you notice, you do not ever receive an error when txting an international number, interesting no?

-Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks to you & Alli for understanding my question.

Yes, you'll get an error code if you try to input an Int'l # for an SMS msg on the SPCS Network.

My guess is that they wont set it up for customers to be able to sms int'l #'s

For now, I'll just use the email to sms gateway to the phones in the Philippines that actually have the ability to recieve an SMS email (ie. 63918xxxxxxx@smart.rply.net) & the older phones that cant recieve sms email will be left in the dark.

You know what I'm going to do?
    ...before I leave the Philippines next time, I'll just load up my (smart/phil) Nokia 3100 with a ton of txt time on their pre-paid cards & all will be fine when I activate Int'l roaming here.

OR....I can look at an ATT tri-band pda phone here in the USA with a keyboard, and insert my (smart/phil) SIM card into it before I leave for my next trip.

(Replying to sms on my Nokia 3100 is such a pain for me on that little phone pad - they're used to txt'ing over there & we're not here in the USA - so if I REALLY want to be comfortable with SMS, I need to seek out a device with a dedicated keyboard (expensive!)that will take my SIM)

You should really see how fast the girls are over there with their thumbs, replying to SMS txts - they can all do it 1-handed, & at BLINDING speeds

Cheers,
    PJ

ps: next time in Manila, I'm going to check out the (expensive) Nokia 9000 series Communicators (keyboard), and I hear that Smart will be offering Blackberry Service very soon, but those units aren't going to be cheap either.
    Hey PJames, Why did'nt you get a GSM TREO600 so that you don't have to worry about SMS? Instead of that crappy sprint pcs..... sell it and get yourself GSM TREO600... You should be supporting GSM if you are a real Filipino... Everybody use GSM in the Philippines.

Or

Buy a simcard for $20 there in states and insert it on your Nokia 3100(if it's unlock)... You don't need to get it reload from the Philippines...

"Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply." -- Bruce Lee
    Superman,

Thanks for your post.

You pose an interesting idea about getting another SIM for my (Smart/Philippines) Nokia 3100, but wouldn't that change the # to my phone?

I dont want to change that #; I have business over there & my girlfriend's over there as well.

Could I get a new SIM & transfer my PHONE NUMBER, settings, contacts AND phone #'s from my current SIM, onto a NEW one, here in the USA?

The way Smart/Phil instructs you
    to load a new txt load onto an Int'l roaming phone from the USA is not working here, so I can still get all my msgs on the Nokia 3100, I have to use an alternate method to reply to them, from my computer here (Chikka txt messenger), so thats my dilema.

Let me know,
    PJAMES
    PJAMES,

Yes, inserting a SIM for the Philippines will change your number to a local one. But I believe the only other option is to enable international roaming with your current GSM carrier (which you've already done). This means your calls are much more expensive, though -- for AT&T it's $2.29/minute. So it's a trade-off.

For much cheaper rates, here is a company that sells prepaid international SIMS, this one in particular for the network in the Philippines:

http://www.telestial.com/products/philippines_sim.htm

Their pricing structure is near the bottom of the page.

So one thing you could do is change your voicemail message to tell them your new number during that time, or is it also possible to forward your US phone to an international number?

Anyway hope this helps,
    Mike
    Last edited by work2fish; 02/14/2004 at 11:05 AM.
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post.

I'm using my Treo 600 on the Sprint PCS Network here in the USA; I have my Philippines Nokia 3100 tri-band phone with me here on Int'l roaming, so I'm getting all my txt's.

However the load's gone, so I can only reply to those txt's while I'm online with Chikka txt messenger, here on my PC at home.

The Nokia has the Smart/Phil SIM with my local Manila # - I dont want a new SIM with another #

Soooo...do you happen to know where I can buy the Smart Philippine Text Cards online?
    ..I found a few merchants, but they dont ship to the USA

Also, I did bring 2 Smart 300P cards back with me in Nov., but was unable to load them onto the phone (the process is only slightly different from loading them while in the Philippines) - anyway, it didnt take.

I have never seen Smart txt cards for sale here in the USA, but if anyone has, please let me know!

I just may Western Union a friend in Manila or Cebu & have them purchase me a few loads, then have them try to load MY phone, from theirs in Manila.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards,
    PJAMES
    PJAMES,

If I understand what you need correctly, can you get them here?

http://www.wowphilippines.com/2co/prepaid.htm

It says these can be delivered via email, text message or physical delivery...

Mike
    Last edited by work2fish; 02/14/2004 at 11:54 AM.
    Originally posted by PJAMES
    Superman,

Thanks for your post.

You pose an interesting idea about getting another SIM for my (Smart/Philippines) Nokia 3100, but wouldn't that change the # to my phone?

I dont want to change that #; I have business over there & my girlfriend's over there as well.

Could I get a new SIM & transfer my PHONE NUMBER, settings, contacts AND phone #'s from my current SIM, onto a NEW one, here in the USA?

The way Smart/Phil instructs you
    to load a new txt load onto an Int'l roaming phone from the USA is not working here, so I can still get all my msgs on the Nokia 3100, I have to use an alternate method to reply to them, from my computer here (Chikka txt messenger), so thats my dilema.

Let me know,
    PJAMES
    PJAMES,
    I know that there in states, you can go to a differenct provider without changing your phone number.... You can keep your sprint number and use it with, let say cingular or t-mobile....

I don't know about Sprint's ability to SMS to a foreign phone number, but they do allow foreign SMS'. My brother, on AT&T, is currently in Barcelona Spain. I sent him several SMS messages this afternoon and he immediately responded to each of them.

Dunc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast