Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by RoxyDad

I just called Handspring and the Gentelman told me that if my cingualar t600 is working fine with t-mobile then there is no reason to purchase the t-mobile phone. I asked him specifically if there was anything to make the t-mobile faster or better and he said no.

He also stated that they released last night a truly "generic unlocked t600"
    Ok.

Does anyone know the differences between the "generic" and the "TMoible" Treo 600?

I assume that when doing a treo upgrade, that we will have the option on which one to order.
    My guess is that the only differences will end up being the startup screen

"Optimized" my ****. Pissed me off that I didn't get the cingular one when I had the chance.

I just ordered a TMO one this morning, I thought about going for the generic but figured why bother since I'm already a TMO customer anyway... if it is locked (which some people here are claiming it's not) then I could just ask them to unlock it when I need it to be, which isn't right this moment anyhow.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    The T-Mobile Treo should be "optimized" to work on T-mobile's data network. In simple terms...The T-Mobile should work faster on their network.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  4. dhl
    Just ordered mine.

According to the PalmOne CSR I spoke to, all the unlocked T-Mobile phones are actually the generic GSM units.

The "optimized" T-Mobile phones are locked to T-Mobile. She said the software on the T-Mobile version is just branding and settings and there's no increased performance over the generic version.

She said if I ordered an unlocked T-Mobile, which is what I did, I'd actually be getting the generic version. Guess we'll be able to compare in a couple weeks.
    Have you heard about any deals for people who have owned 270s less than one year beyond the $399 upgrade offer?
    Gee, I hate to say I told you so (not you dhl) but...

I told you so!

I'm using a Cingular version on T-Mobile and I've said all along that this "optimized" language is BS. No phone provider (you know little companies like Nokia, Samsung, Sony Ericsson) sell phones that have to be "optimized" for different carriers. They do sell ones customized (logos, locking, etc...) but GSM = GSM and GPRS = GPRS. I would really truely love to see some comparision between a "T-Mobile" version and others but I would bet my own money that there is no measurable difference. I would love to know firmware versions and if the Treo works on the T-Zones pages (only thing I can't get to work currently) on the T-Mobile version once someone gets one.

Originally posted by dhl
    Just ordered mine.

According to the PalmOne CSR I spoke to, all the unlocked T-Mobile phones are actually the generic GSM units.

The "optimized" T-Mobile phones are locked to T-Mobile. She said the software on the T-Mobile version is just branding and settings and there's no increased performance over the generic version.

She said if I ordered an unlocked T-Mobile, which is what I did, I'd actually be getting the generic version. Guess we'll be able to compare in a couple weeks.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I just ordered my treo 600 - Generic Version.

The rep. told me that the T-mobile and generic version are the same. Nothing was optimized!!!

The reason for two different models (on the web site) is for sales tracking purpose. I guess T-mobile gets a commission if people buy a t-mobile version because of t-mobile name.... Only a guess...

This is a marketing thing like many postings have suggested... what are we going to do without these marketing people???
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12