Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've just got started on this, but wanted to share with you guys.

I loved FontHack123 when I had my Treo 300 and really missed them on my Treo 600. As you probably know, most hacks have to be rewritten to support the ARM processor used by OS 5.

There is now a replacement program called FontHackV that will pretty much do the same thing.

However, FontHack123 fonts have to go through a conversion process to their FontHackV equivalents. The process is not fun nor pretty, but I'm getting the hang of it.

You'll need to download YAHM ("Yet Another Hack Manager") from here: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=45126

Then you'll have to download FontHackV from here: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=53318

(Many thanks to FontHackV's developer Yang Zhiqiang, who is quite friendly and helpful!)

I have four converted fonts you can use: TallFonts-Normal.pdb or JFonts-Normal.pdb (replacement for Standard) and TallFonts-Bold.pdb or JFonts-Bold.pdb (replacement for Bold).

These fonts are much nicer - taller and easier to read.

Please let me know what you think? (I'm kinda excited to be first-on-the-block.)

See screen prints further down - post #18

Bill

Version Changes:

0.4 - 17 Feb 2004 - Added these fonts: Narrow, AlphaLarge, AlphaLarge-Narrow, AlphaRomanWide, AlphaRomanExtra, Compact Roman, ArchitectLarge, ArchitectSmall, and Verdana

0.3 - 9 Feb 2004 - Now up to fifteen fonts total! (Ten JFonts, Two TallFonts, and Three Alpha fonts (Ants, Midget, Pupil)

0.2 - 9 Feb 2004 - Consolidated four font files into one PRC/ZIP file

0.1 - 9 Feb 2004 - Initial upload
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bhodgins; 02/17/2004 at 04:04 PM.
    I was wondering when one of us was going to to this. Great! I'm not in love with the idea of needing both YAHM and FH5, but there is no other way at the moment, I know.

3 things.

1. I've given you some 'advertising' here.

2. This thread should really be moved to the Treo Utilities forum.

3. Keep those Treo 600 fonts coming. When you feel like adding more fonts I suggest you update your original download file instead posting new ones along the way, as it makes it very confusing to follow the updates. See Profile Manager thread as an excellent example of this. The author posts a 'release history.' Very professional and handy!
    Last edited by elysian9; 02/14/2004 at 02:07 PM.
    Could you describe the conversion process? I'd love to get a few fonts from http://www.rainerzenz.de/palm/alphafonts.html working, especially the Ants and Midget fonts ...

Thanks,
    Peter
    Originally posted by bhodgins
    I've just got started on this, but wanted to share with you guys.

I loved FontHack123 when I had my Treo 300 and really missed them on my Treo 600. As you probably know, most hacks have to be rewritten to support the ARM processor used by OS 5.

There is now a replacement program called FontHackV that will pretty much do the same thing.

However, FontHack123 fonts have to go through a conversion process to their FontHackV equivalents. The process is not fun nor pretty, but I'm getting the hang of it.

You'll need to download YAHM ("Yet Another Hack Manager") from here: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=45126

Then you'll have to download FontHackV from here: http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=&prodID=53318

(Many thanks to FontHackV's developer Yang Zhiqiang, who is quite friendly and helpful!)

I have two converted fonts you can use: Tall_Fonts_New_A.pdb (replacement for Standard) and Tall_Fonts_New_B.pdb (replacement for Bold). These fonts are much nicer - taller and easier to read.

As this board doesn't allow uploading of ZIP or PDB files, you'll have to rename the TallFonts.PRC file from PRC to ZIP and then unzip the two fonts.

Please let me know what you think? (I'm kinda excited to be first-on-the-block.)

Bill
    I'm using Tealmaster. Tested the hack, activated both fonts, but I can't see any difference!!
    --
    Manfred
    Originally posted by mani_lx

I'm using Tealmaster. Tested the hack, activated both fonts, but I can't see any difference!!
    Won't work with TM. You need YAHM.
  6.    #6  
    I'll write something up on the procedure. It's getting easier now.

See 1st post for two new fonts.
    Last edited by bhodgins; 02/09/2004 at 02:09 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Deleted
    Last edited by bhodgins; 02/10/2004 at 01:55 PM.
    I'll write something up on the procedure. It's getting easier now.

Attached are two more fonts from the J-Fonts family.

Rename the JFonts.PRC file to JFonts.zip and then unzip the two fonts inside (one is Standard, the other is Bold).

I'd like to convert some of the Large fonts next. Plus I'll take a look at those other fonts you listed.

Bill
    Guess you didn't think much of my suggestions. Just trying to help
  9.    #9  
    Deleted - refer to 1st post
    Last edited by bhodgins; 02/09/2004 at 02:03 PM.
    Hi, elysian9

Which suggestions? The version numbering, keeping comments on same post?

I'm not sure how to upload a 2nd attachment. I guess I need to upload a replacement file with all the fonts? Just thought of that!

Will do now.
    Right. Actually, I see the problem now with my suggestion. I imagined you could keep adding fonts to your zip file, so that anytime anyone wanted to d/l the file from your first post, it would contain the most current updates. I agree that you need an off-TC site to host you zip files. Often one's ISP provides that. Are you sure you don't have one (MSN, SBC, Yahoo, etc)? Still, in the mean time, it is better, IMO, to have all your font d/l's all together in the same post at the top.
  11.    #11  
    Done!

I'm looking into my ISP's web page capabilities.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Just starting playing with it.. I like it so far.. Hopefully won't start crashing things
    Lemmie know when you get the conversion steps written up ...

Thanks,
    Peter
  14.    #14  
    Peter,

I have converted the Ants and Midget fonts. See the first post for the PRC/ZIP file.

There are now fifteen fonts in the file.

Bill
    As this board doesn't allow uploading of ZIP or PDB files, you'll have to rename the TallFonts.PRC file from PRC to ZIP and then unzip the fonts.
    Hmm.. With the recent software developments on the boards, this is a bad oversight by us. Assuming it is not abused, I added zip as an allowed attachment. I also upped the max size a bit. Enjoy
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Peter,

I have converted the Ants and Midget fonts. See the first post for the PRC/ZIP file.

There are now fifteen fonts in the file.

Bill
    Thanks a bunch!

Thanks,
    Peter
    Can someone post some screen shots to show what these fonts look like?

Are there any anomalies, which fonts look the best, the worst, issues, problems, etc.?
    Yes, please post a screen shot or two for us!
  19.    #19  
    Screen pics of JFonts-Normal and JFonts-Bold
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20.    #20  
    Another pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast