Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Hello,

I'm planning on being in Europe for a week or so in early March and was wondering where I can find out how to work my ATTWS in Budapest, Paris, Barcelona, and London?

Will GPRS work there and can I use it to pick up my email?

Any known issues with the USA version of the (If there's a difference.) Treo 600 in Europe?

TIA
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Go to the AT&T Wireless web site at http://www.attwireless.com/business/...nnect_ng.jhtml

On the right hand side you can check service availability in countries outside of the US. Most have GSM roaming, while far fewer have GPRS roaming agreements in place.

It looks like AT&T has not updated their web sites to show the Treo 600, so I'd use a BlackBerry 7230 as a comparison. From what I saw, you should be able to do GPRS roaming in the cities you've mentioned. You may have to manually select the right network (so do GSM only; some do GSM/GPRS), but you should be OK.

Having said that, I haven't taken my Treo out of the country yet, but it works fine on my BB

Make sure you have International roaming set up on the SIM card by AT&T.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    NJBlackberry,

Thanks for the heads-up on the SIMM card requirement. I'll have to drop in to my local AT&T store and get them to upgrade it. I don't plan on talking too much but I may just upgrade my service for International Roaming. As I recall it's not all that expensive.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    You should be able to call them and get International Roaming enabled over the phone. No reason to visit the store.

International Roaming costs nothing. Calling while roaming is where they get you. Per minute costs, by country, are on the web site. And they aren't cheap
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Boy did I notice that! Some of those per-minute charges are nuts!

I just want to keep the home folks up on where I am and that I'm on schedule, so my calls won't make the double digit costs....
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Originally posted by eugarps
    Boy did I notice that! Some of those per-minute charges are nuts!

I just want to keep the home folks up on where I am and that I'm on schedule, so my calls won't make the double digit costs....
    There is another thread on buying cheaper minutes on a SIM card for the country you visit - and websites to buy before you go so you have your phone number in advance. To do this and use another SIM, you need to have your phone unlocked by AT&T. See if they'll do it, and calls home may cost as little as 35 cents a minute. You can use them for data, also, but it looks like the price is not as great. Your ATT sim will roam on GPRS in Europe, and eventually the bill will catch up with you, and its high.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Levyesq,

Thanks. I'd hear about a Monaco SIMM that's good about anywhere. I'm currently having a Sony-Ericsson T68i unlocked to accomodate that one. Between the T600 and the T68i, I should be able to phone home.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Hi,

I just spent a month in Europe in December/January with my Treo and AT&T. To tell you the truth, the whole thing was a pain, and lots of odd behaviour. I was in Germany, Austria and France. I never had problems calling the US and checking my voice mail, but lots of problems calling one European country from another. For example, I couldn't call Vienna when I was in Frankfurt. But when I got to Austria, I could call any Austrian numbers, but not Frankfurt.

The other thing was that many times you have to manually try and find a service provider, as the "automatic" selection didn't always work. And you have to leave your phone on as it takes a while for the service providers to "recognize" your phone. And of course, when the phone is constantly searching for a network, the battery runs down a lot quicker. Make sure you take a plug adapter with you (Radio Shack is your friend).

Just be prepared for a less-than-seamless experience. And at 99 cents a minute, things add up quickly.

Have fun nonetheless!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I did score an adapter cable, so I'm good there. I'll have my Tungsten 'C' along as well in case I can find a hotspot or two. Phoning home will be the primary use. One last question though, can someone call me from the states simply by dailing my number here?
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    They should be able to reach you, but I would say it isn't extremely reliable. Chances are, you'll find their message on voice mail. If you're not going to move around from country to country, it should work... key word is "should".