Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just visited the Cingular site for my zip code in Southern Cal and they no longer have the 600 for sale on their site.

Are they discontinuing TREO support/service?

Any feedback?
    I am in NYC and the treo 600 is not on the site, and is no longer offered at the Cingular company store in midtown.
    In Sacramento, it's notlisted in the normal "phones" section, but it's in the business side under "Integrated Voice & Data Devices".
    It took a lot of calling around/visiting Cingular stores before we were able to find a local Treo 600. The store on Beverly near the Beverly Center just sold its last two yesterday (one to me, one to the guy who came in ten minutes after I arrived). We had been on their waiting list for a few weeks and they called us as SOON as they got the Treo 600 in-house.

Good luck! No clue on the rumors. Just know it took a little patience on our part here in SoCal to get the li'l guy.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by olavf
    In Sacramento, it's notlisted in the normal "phones" section, but it's in the business side under "Integrated Voice & Data Devices".

That is true, but when it asks if I want to see if the Treo 600 is available in my area, I enter my zip and it is not available. I think this may be because they are having trouble tracking the data usage.

Kirby
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    not to worry, the treo is not discontinued. actually they are backordered 22,000 units. handspring had a mfg problem to fix before they could start shipping again. Cingular is supposed to have more in stock by the end of febuary. I heard about a b2b sales person who had an order for 100 treo's just to one company. this thing is smokin for cingular.
    > not to worry, the treo is not discontinued. actually they are
    > backordered 22,000 units...

Something doesn't feel right here. I simply don't believe the above.

The TREO 600 is gone from the Cingular web site for the two areas I just checked - San Francisco and Washington, D.C.. Searching the entire site for TREO returns just old stuff. The Business pages have a TREO 600, but that page, too, is relatively old with no links to actual TREO ordering.

It's gone, Jim.

(it also might be telling that the Cingular TREO 600 on PalmOne's web site has the shortest shipping time - stating OUTRIGHT that PalmOne (or their dropshippers) have them in stock RIGHT NOW.)

22,000 backordered, eh?
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 02/08/2004 at 08:31 AM.
    My wife picked one up for me for Christmas (in Los Angeles) and she called every Cingular store withinin 50 miles. I believe they are in extreme demand which would make it extremely unlikely that Cingular was pulling out.
    They could very well be in extreme demand thus be unavailable from any Cingular venue.

They could also simply be out of them at Cingular - permanently.

If they are in extreme demand and thus are out-of-stock everywhere it is somewhat curious that PalmOne will get one to you in a week.

But, yes, they could be out-of-stock at Cingular locations ==only== because of extreme demand.
    Well, if it is in short supply main b/c of extreme demand, then PalmOne has to be faulted for it deplorable manufacturing supply. Not having product on the shelf so it can be sold to meet demand can be just as bad as overstock in inventory. Just ask mega corps like Boeing etc how not being able to meet demand can sigificantly damage the bottom line! If anything, this shows the weakness in PalmOne's ODM supplier's ability to ship product and the faulty prediciton of product demand. Afterall, not everyone is going to wait forever for the Treo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I don't think the problem is the original Palm Solution Group (the hardware division). Handspring was running out of cash toward the end, and simply didn't have the resources to commit to large production runs. If anything, palmOne has actually helped alleviate the manufacturing bottlenecks. I think you will see a lot more Cingular phones available in the next few weeks.
    Anybody else see a coincidence with the frequent hardware problems reported in this forum, and the "catastrophic manufacturing problems" and setbacks that plague T-Mobile and now Cingular? Do you think we will be seeing an updated hardware/firmware (official version)?

Treo 600 GSM w/ Cingular
  13. brf
    I am in southern California and tried to get a Treo 600 in late November. None of the stores in San Diego area had them. I placed an order through a Cingular Company owned store on December 1st and got a call Monday morning February 2 that it had come in! Went right over to pick it up. Can't believe I've actually got it! Talked to the manager quite a bit and he said that they are backordered from Handspring because of problems Handspring is having getting components to keep up with demand. He has several other customers on a list that are still waiting. He said Cingular just isn't pushing it because they can't get them fast enough. If a customer asks for one, they will gladly put you on the waiting list.
    VisorPhone >>Treo 600 >>Black Palm Centro
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T GSM
    Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
    are entirely due to transmission error
    brf, what voice and data plans is Cingular offering. I can't find any information on Cingular's current plans.
  15. brf
    Originally posted by Zekep
    brf, what voice and data plans is Cingular offering. I can't find any information on Cingular's current plans.
    Have you looked at Cingular.com? I have a family talk plan for voice that has 1000 anytime minutes for $49.99 (unused minutes roll-over to the next month)

Here's the gprs data plans that I know about:
    $0 month- $0.005 per kb
    $6.99 month-1MB-$0.0097 per additional kb
    $14.99 month-5MB-$0.0048 per additional kb
    $24.99 month -10MB-$0.0039 per additional kb
    $34.99 month-20MB-$0.0029 per additional kb
    $54.99 month-40MB-$0.0024 per additional kb
    74.99 month-unlimited

If anyone knows of any cheaper Cingular Data plans, please tell us!!
    Cingular doesn't have any information about plans for the Treo 600 for my zip code. I checked Palm's website and Palm has removed the Cingular plan information and lists only Sprint and AT&T. Thanks for the info.
  17. brf
    Originally posted by Zekep
    Cingular doesn't have any information about plans for the Treo 600 for my zip code. I checked Palm's website and Palm has removed the Cingular plan information and lists only Sprint and AT&T. Thanks for the info.
    The voice plans aren't tied to any specific phone. You can get any plan they offer... regional, nationwide, family talk, etc...
    > ...I checked Palm's website and Palm has removed the Cingular
    > plan information and lists only Sprint and AT&T. Thanks for the
    > info.

This does not correlate with my check just now via www.handspring.com for the same thing - Cingular plans and phones still offered.
    It must depend on which zip code you put in. I just tried it on handspring.com for my zip code and Cingular was not listed.
    That's very interesting!

Did you try it before and it WAS available?

I used a generic 20001 as the zip (that and 90001 are the ones I type in when the STUPID carriers require a zip code - JEEZ - if they're NATIONAL carriers then I should be able to say "Give me the whole damn nation's phones!").
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast