1.    #1  
    Hi y'all,

I'm very intrigued by the possibility of using ShoutCast on my Treo, but very worried about getting in trouble with Sprint.

Last I had read on the forum, some people were getting huge bills, but haven't heard much in the last couple of months.

Anyone have the definitive word on this from Sprint?

Thanks for any info!

Michael
    Here's "my" bottom line.

It's my belief that courts often interpret things not just by the letter of the word but by the spirit of the law or statement.

My belief is that Streaming Media was not an option on the Treo, and by using it you are making your Treo behave like it were a laptop or other computer, which "in spirit" could be considered a violation of the AUP which bans use of personal computers or other devices on the super-cheap Treo "unlimited" bandwidth plan.

Look, it's just a matter of time before the shinola hits the fan on this. I know from first hand experience that very few streaming media PC computers take a MUCHO big bite out of a corporate T1 line at my office, even WHEN they use 56k streams. It won't take many streaming Treos to make an impact, as soon as they start showing up on Sprint's radar WATCH OUT. The consequences of the abuse are pretty severe.

The top 3 heavy hitters on our corporate network last week were all streaming media users.

If you really really want it, they will sell you a plan that will give you unlimited bandwidth unrelated to Treo surfing. I have a Sprint PCMCIA Card with unlimited bandwidth that's only $80 per month, I bet you could get a similar plan for your Treo and you wouldn't have to worry about it.
    ----------------------------------------
    mk3cn4 uses a Treo 600 with ReqWireless Web Browser (others are useless IMO), Snappermail, Xiino, PalmVNC... and is a big infone fan. Cheaper and magnatudes better than Sprint's 411 ripoff, www.infone.com.
    Don't let people scare you. You can get unlimited bandwidth for $15 (Sprint PCS).

As long as you are not using your Treo as a modem, which you will not be doing (that requires special software and a USB connection from the Treo to your Computer), you are free and clear to use as much bandwidth as your little Treo can handle. That is written into the Sprint TOS.

BTW, I have been using mucho bandwidth for almost a year and have never been charged more than $15. I've even been using my phones as modems when the situation arises (shhhh, don't tell anyone).

Personally, I think it's just a troll that started spreading these rumors. Excuse me while I listen to my streaming audio........
    If you understand, things are just as they are. If you do not understand, things are just as they are.