Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Is there any word on when (or if) the Treo 600 will be upgrading its screen to 320 x 320? That's all I'm waiting for before buying one - but I'm finding it more and more difficult to wait.

Ed

PS: I know if I buy one Wednesday, Palm will announce the new screen on Thursday.
    But the more practicle answer is "no earlier than Summer". If it were around the corner, it would have had to have FCC certification months ago in order for the carriers to do compatibility testing.
    Originally posted by limoman
    PS: I know if I buy one Wednesday, Palm will announce the new screen on Thursday.
    With that attitude there is no reason for you to ever get a new cell phone.... Everything becomes "Outdated" the moment you open the package...

Personally nothing is outdated if it does what you want it to do.
    For example my computer's CPU speed is only 950mhz, My main PDA is a Sony Clie NR70V, And the newest TV in the house is 6 years old...
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Originally posted by limoman
    Is there any word on when (or if) the Treo 600 will be upgrading its screen to 320 x 320? That's all I'm waiting for before buying one - but I'm finding it more and more difficult to wait.

Ed

I too struggled with the decision to buy due to the low res screen. I eventually caved and am VERY happy I did. The screen, while low res, still looks great. The Treo is by far the COOLEST gadget I've ever owned. And, it's so damn useful! I think you'll get over your initial concern after only a few days of using the Treo.

I think the hires version is still a way off. Even though many expect a March announcement at the earliest, I don't think we'll see hires in retail until at least late summer, early fall.
    Last edited by ToeCutter; 02/07/2004 at 08:06 PM.
    battery life is a real issue with the treo. the battery can't be swapped out as in almost any other cell phone. it will only be worse on a higher res screen. personally i found the treo's screen more than adequate. especially indoors, it is super bright.

i would hope they would make a replaceable battery asap in the next hardware upgrade....whether the screen is hi res or not.

as it is....i don't see my phone lasting a whole year with the current battery. i would just go for it and buy a treo now....

hi res isn't happening anytime soon.

ps... i have had my ipod 6 months. it can't swap out its internal lithium battery either. it is almost losing its ability to take a charge. of course, i use the ipod more than the treo....but anyway, a multi-use device like the treo will just eat up its battery all the faster.
    Last edited by southbound747; 02/08/2004 at 07:55 AM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Originally posted by Druce MacFarlane
    But the more practicle answer is "no earlier than Summer". If it were around the corner, it would have had to have FCC certification months ago in order for the carriers to do compatibility testing.
    Actually, it wouldn't. It would only need to go through FCC certification if they changed radio elements. Changing the screen would have no effect on the existing FCC certification.

But the commentary right now is that you will see an improved Treo 600, likely to be called the Treo 610 with a 320 X 320 screen and 64 MB of RAM among other benefits. Target time should be sometime this spring to early summer it seems. But as always, it's tentative.
    I have yet to see this info from a reliable source. And the speks are always different. The only constant is a 320x320 screen. Some of the variable speks are:
    64mb Ram
    Built In Stereo Speakers
    Seperate Stereo 1/8" headphone jack
    Bluetooth
    802.11b WiFi
    Better Battery, 5+ Hours Talk
    Better IR (Like Sony devices) so it works better as a remote
    I even saw a discussion (Another Board) talking about a 320x480 model that had a silkscreen area instead of a keyboard.
    Dual SD/SDIO card slots
    300mhz cpu speed

These are all pipedreams. And some people thing that if they talk about it enough, the manfacurer will just give it up and make it. I am sorry to inform everyone that this will not happe. They will make, what they want to make.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Originally posted by Tavisjohn

With that attitude there is no reason for you to ever get a new cell phone.... Everything becomes "Outdated" the moment you open the package...

Personally nothing is outdated if it does what you want it to do.
    For example my computer's CPU speed is only 950mhz, My main PDA is a Sony Clie NR70V, And the newest TV in the house is 6 years old...

bahh thats nothing...the comp im running now is 855mhz and intel p3...waiting on my laptop with extreme edition of p4...that wont stay there long though...updating to a 4.0 ghz prescott...now back to the subject at hand...i doubt there will be a 320x320 res screen til summer if any new treo will be coming out...the palmOne people would be stupidly insane in a moronic sense to introduce a new device with the current one generating as much demand and momentum as it is now.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    When I took the plunge and bought my 600 I was really worried about the 160x160. Now that I have it, the ONLY thing I wish they would add is BT. 160x160 pocketable and very clear is plenty.

Battery life is an issue for me, I need something that's going to make it one day of con calls, email, some music (via iRock) and some playing around (blogging, RSS reading, etc.)

If 320x320 puts that at risk it is not worth it to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it...but if I can't make a very intensive day (3-4hrs phone, 0.5-1.0hrs of other) then I can't justify it.

(BTW, I'm typically making it 2 days a charge with ease...my once a month down to 20% has taken as long as 4 days)

-Rob