1.    #1  
    After many hours searching for what I would think would be a commonly discussed issue, and not getting a clear answer...... I will start a new thread and ask for myself.
    HOW DO I ADAPT MY TREO SERIAL CABLE TO CONNECT WITH THE DB9 FEMALE CONNECTOR THAT COMES OUT OF MY GPS UNIT?
    I have read that i can connect a 9 volt battery as follows:
    negitive terminal of battery to pin 5 of the serial connector and the positive terminal connects to a 470 ohm resister and then to pin 7, or pin 7 and 4, depending on which explaination I read. I have tried this and it did not seem to work. What I actually did was to slice the treo serial hotsync cable open to expose the wires that connected to pins 4,5 and 7 and connect the battery to the proper leads. Does anyone have any specific advice for me? Thanks for the help?
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dkerbs

HOW DO I ADAPT MY TREO SERIAL CABLE TO CONNECT WITH THE DB9 FEMALE CONNECTOR THAT COMES OUT OF MY GPS UNIT?

[blah blah blah]

Does anyone have any specific advice for me? Thanks for the help?
    check out this cable works well with the Magellan GPS

http://www.thesupplynet.com/productD...fm?prodID=7085
    Hello,
    Is there a cheaper cable mentioned above?

I am looking to connect my magellan gps to my treo 600.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    here is the cable that I made up and am using with my garmin etrex, it seems to work just fine. I used an old cell car charger that I cut the end off of to supply the power.
    here is the cable that I made up and am using with my garmin etrex, it seems to work just fine. I used an old cell car charger that I cut the end off of to supply the power.

http://www.evangel.edu/personal/came...treoserial.jpg
    Last edited by camerone; 02/11/2004 at 01:59 PM.
  6.    #6  
    I just don"t know what I am doing wrong. I have tried the cable adaptation and it will not work for me.
    Originally posted by camerone

http://www.evangel.edu/personal/came...treoserial.jpg
    camerone,
    So you can use a 470ohm resistor with 12v? Or do you need to use the 470ohm with 3v and higher resistance with 12v?
    Thanks, Adam.
  8.    #8  
    use 470 ohm resister with 9 volt battery
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I made this converter box based on another thread here on the boards,and the same concept as you are describing here with the 9v battery and a 470-ohm resistor (which I used, not a 430-ohm):

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=43623

Quote Originally Posted by djs_tx
    I have a little box with a male DB-9 serial plug on one side and a female DB-9 on the other. Pins 2, 3, and 5 are connected straight through (2 to 2, 3 to 3, 5 to 5). Then I connected a 9 volt battery. The negative terminal is connected to pin 5 (ground). The positive terminal is connected to a 430 Ohm resistor and then to all the empty pins on the male side. What this does is trick the treo serial cable into thinking it is connected to a powered serial port. It gets power from the 9 volt battery (the resistor limits current to about 20mA). This should work as long as you do not need the handshaking lines to make the connection. Also this will definitely work with Handspring brand serial cables but it might not work with cheap aftermarket cables. The irritating thing about this is you have to change out the 9V battery occasionally.

There are other options open to you electrically depending on what you are trying to do and how much time and effort you want to spend.

My ELM 327-based OBD2 scan tool only required pins 2, 3, and 5 so this solution worked well for me. I'll post pics on here, but forgive my awful solder-job. I'm a graphic designer...not an engineer.

I also deviated slightly from djs_tx's description by wiring pins 2-3 and 3-2 together like a null-modem as required by the scan tool through two sets of male connectors as this is what I needed in my cabling situation.

I hope this helps others...

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DomozitoLK; 03/10/2006 at 01:00 PM.