Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As suggested by some of those in this thread, I'm starting a new thread to announce the release of PhoneGuard 1.0.

For those of you who may have missed the previous thread, PhoneGuard is a utility for your Treo 600 that can disable the keys when an incoming call is received, preventing the call from being accidentally answered. It can also be configured to turn off the screen during your calls. In addition, it allows you to toggle the screen on and off during a call using either the main power button or the power button to the right of the 5-way navigator.

Here's a screenshot:

http://www.geakware.com/phoneguard/i...screenshot.gif

PhoneGuard is available on my website , or for those of you browsing this forum from your Treo 600, it is also available on my mobile site.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens
    www.geakware.com or mobile.geakware.com - Software for your Treo 600/650.
    Congratulations on the release of 1.0!

It appears to do exactly what I want with regard to managing my keyboard while using the Phone application. In my brief testing, it has done everything right, and nothing wrong.

I particularly like the way the volume buttons silence the ring, but no other keys do. This is the way every other cell phone I've had worked. I also very much like the 5-way pad working the way it does.

I have a question about the "Turn Screen off After" function. If I leave it set to "Never", the power key doesn't toggle the screen off (and on) manually. Should I expect it to? If not, do you think it might be a nice feature in a later version? Oh, and if you think it's appropriate, it would be nice if one of the settings in the "Turn Screen off After" menu was "System Auto-Off Time". In every other application, the screen goes off after inactivity corresponding to my "System Auto-Off Time". This way I only have to change it in one place. I looked for that choice when I first popped up the "Turn Screen off After" menu, and was surprised it wasn't there.

On my GSM T600, while on a call, the screen dims to half brightness after 15 seconds of (screen and key) inactivity without any help on my part. Does that still use an appreciable enough amount of power to consider using the PhoneGuard function to turn the screen off after altogether 2 minutes? The screen light never bothered me, but I guess if it saves significant battery life, why not. Does the screen come back on if a second call (or SMS) comes in while you're on the first call? Does any key turn the screen back on, or just the power key? (I can probably test this one myself )

Thanks again for a great program.

Bill S
    I love this app, but sometimes i am on the phone and want to enter data into my schedule or look up another phone number. Unfortunately, with the screen set to turn off in 10 seconds, it turns off when I am trying to use the other app. Can you make it not turn off the screen if you are using another app while on the phone? (I prefer the light to turn off quickly when on the phone so i don't disturb the other opera goers )
    Originally posted by BS Mann
    I love this app, but sometimes i am on the phone and want to enter data into my schedule or look up another phone number. Unfortunately, with the screen set to turn off in 10 seconds, it turns off when I am trying to use the other app. Can you make it not turn off the screen if you are using another app while on the phone? (I prefer the light to turn off quickly when on the phone so i don't disturb the other opera goers )
    BTW: I know it's possible to turn OFF a certain "hack" like program while IN the phone application, so isn't it possible to do the reverse? For example, KeyCaps600 turns off while in the Phone app. I have to agree with BSMann, although it's trivial in the larger scheme of things, having the Treo turn off quickly while in other apps is a pain...

L
    Lee Ladisky
    TV Billy,
    I am not the Geekware spokesperson, but...

have a question about the "Turn Screen off After" function. If I leave it set to "Never", the power key doesn't toggle the screen off (and on) manually. Should I expect it to?
    I think he said he will look into this in a future/upcomming release.

BS Man,
    I thought he said that when there is activity, the screen will not turn back off again, but I don't know if he ever got that to work. Perhaps there can be a setting in a future relase for that delay too?
    Screen off after: select time
    off after no user input: select time

For the time being, you can use the power button on top to toggle the screen. I thoght it would be hard to get to when on the phone, but know I can hit it before I even remove the phone from my ear and it's on when I then have it a eye level to use.

Regards, Matt Burkhard
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by tvBilly
    Congratulations on the release of 1.0!

It appears to do exactly what I want with regard to managing my keyboard while using the Phone application. In my brief testing, it has done everything right, and nothing wrong.

I particularly like the way the volume buttons silence the ring, but no other keys do. This is the way every other cell phone I've had worked. I also very much like the 5-way pad working the way it does.
    I'm glad you like it.

I have a question about the "Turn Screen off After" function. If I leave it set to "Never", the power key doesn't toggle the screen off (and on) manually. Should I expect it to? If not, do you think it might be a nice feature in a later version?
    Currently, the screen toggle only works if you have the screen auto-off feature enabled. This is something I plan to address in the next release.

Oh, and if you think it's appropriate, it would be nice if one of the settings in the "Turn Screen off After" menu was "System Auto-Off Time". In every other application, the screen goes off after inactivity corresponding to my "System Auto-Off Time". This way I only have to change it in one place. I looked for that choice when I first popped up the "Turn Screen off After" menu, and was surprised it wasn't there.
    This is a good suggestion. I'll add it to my list...

On my GSM T600, while on a call, the screen dims to half brightness after 15 seconds of (screen and key) inactivity without any help on my part. Does that still use an appreciable enough amount of power to consider using the PhoneGuard function to turn the screen off after altogether 2 minutes? The screen light never bothered me, but I guess if it saves significant battery life, why not. Does the screen come back on if a second call (or SMS) comes in while you're on the first call? Does any key turn the screen back on, or just the power key? (I can probably test this one myself )
    I haven't tried to measure the power consumption of the screen. However, I think it stands to reason that, with the screen backlight off, the Treo consumes less energy. How much? I don't know, but with only 4-6 hours of talk time, every little bit helps...

Geoff
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by BS Mann
    Originally posted by Leeladisky

BTW: I know it's possible to turn OFF a certain "hack" like program while IN the phone application, so isn't it possible to do the reverse? For example, KeyCaps600 turns off while in the Phone app. I have to agree with BSMann, although it's trivial in the larger scheme of things, having the Treo turn off quickly while in other apps is a pain...

L
    BS Mann/Lee,

This is possible, and is already on my list for next release.

Just FYI, PhoneGuard should only turn off the screen after X seconds of inactivity. This means that, if you remain active (tapping the screen or using the keyboard), the screen should stay on. You can adjust the screen auto-off timeout so that it doesn't go off quite as quickly and this may help.

Geoff
    I'm trying out PhoneGuard 1.0 on my Cingular GSM Treo 600 and so far so good. But just wondering what this $9 product has that KeepOff (free) doesn't? Am I missing out on some features of PhoneGuard?
    Originally posted by silky_green
    I'm trying out PhoneGuard 1.0 on my Cingular GSM Treo 600 and so far so good. But just wondering what this $9 product has that KeepOff (free) doesn't? Am I missing out on some features of PhoneGuard?
    I haven't tried KeepOff yet, but PhoneGuard also has the ability to automatically turn the screen off during a call at a set amount of time (from 1 second to 3 minutes). A great battery saver utility. Does KeepOff have this feature?
    Now that it seems all the bugs are worked out I've just purchased it.

Great job developing what I consider an essential app for the Treo.
  11. lam
    Geoff,

Congratulations for your alpha release. I've bought it and tried it on my treo. It's very stable and did what it say in the description. Another happy customer.
    Works Great!!! Another happy registered user!

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before but I'd like to see the option to have the powerbutton turn the screen off/on in a call.

Keep up the great work!
    Originally posted by flyinjack
    Works Great!!! Another happy registered user!

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before but I'd like to see the option to have the powerbutton turn the screen off/on in a call.

Keep up the great work!
    I believe it already does this, but only if you have the setting to turn the screen off during a call to something other than "never."
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    WOW nice APP and cheap to!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Great app and even better customer service from Geoff.
    "Pain is temporary; quitting lasts forever." -- L. Armstrong
    Congratulations on the release Geoff. I just ordered my treo 600 and this is definately one of the programs I'm considering buying when I finally get it.

Currently, the screen toggle only works if you have the screen auto-off feature enabled. This is something I plan to address in the next release.
    I'm especially interested in this functionality. I don't want to have my screen auto shut-off (in other words I'd like to set it to "never") and still be able to turn it off on my own should I ever feel the need. Thanks so much for considering this in the next release!

Again, great work and thanks!
    I use KeepOff, and it works pretty well. However, for it to be active you have to turn the phone off with the Power key. Otherwise it does not activate and the auto answer keys become active. Therefore, if you let your screen auto power off, it can be a pain.
    Originally posted by geakware
    As suggested by some of those in this thread, I'm starting a new thread to announce the release of PhoneGuard 1.0.

For those of you who may have missed the previous thread, PhoneGuard is a utility for your Treo 600 that can disable the keys when an incoming call is received, preventing the call from being accidentally answered. It can also be configured to turn off the screen during your calls. In addition, it allows you to toggle the screen on and off during a call using either the main power button or the power button to the right of the 5-way navigator.

Here's a screenshot:

http://www.geakware.com/phoneguard/i...screenshot.gif

PhoneGuard is available on my website , or for those of you browsing this forum from your Treo 600, it is also available on my mobile site.

Sincerely,
    Geoff Akens
    I have tried it on my T600 int 2.09, on Portugal Vodafone network.
    Nothing works: the space mostly gets through (at least on the 2nd or 3rd press) the screen doesn't get shut down after the timeout.

I whish it would work on my unit :-(
    --
    Manfred
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by mani_lx

Nothing works: the space mostly gets through (at least on the 2nd or 3rd press) the screen doesn't get shut down after the timeout.

I whish it would work on my unit :-(
    Manfred,

If your phone is a GSM phone, you may want to check if CarKit.prc is installed. This application has been reported to interfere with the screen off funtionality. If you have this application installed, there's currently nothing that can be done to turn the screen off during a call.

However, I may be able to help debug the issue with the space key not being properly disabled. Please PM me if you'd like me to help find out what's going on.

Sincerely,
    Geoff
    Originally posted by mani_lx

Originally posted by geakware

Manfred,

If your phone is a GSM phone, you may want to check if CarKit.prc is installed.
    As of version 2.09 of the international firmware, the CarKit.prc is in ROM. (And other than the screen problem with CarKit versus PhoneGuard, my INTernational 2.09 works just fine with PhoneGuard).

For those who want the sceen light to be controlled by PhoneGuard, and who also never plan on using the car kit, has anyone considered putting together a trivial Palm application that does absolutely nothing except quit when launched, and giving it the same creator as CarKit, and installing it in RAM? This would override the CarKit.prc application in ROM (and just maybe would solve the problem)?

Bill S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast