Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Originally posted by tvBilly

As of version 2.09 of the international firmware, the CarKit.prc is in ROM. (And other than the screen problem with CarKit versus PhoneGuard, my INTernational 2.09 works just fine with PhoneGuard).

For those who want the sceen light to be controlled by PhoneGuard, and who also never plan on using the car kit, has anyone considered putting together a trivial Palm application that does absolutely nothing except quit when launched, and giving it the same creator as CarKit, and installing it in RAM? This would override the CarKit.prc application in ROM (and just maybe would solve the problem)?

Bill S
    I've tried a number of things, but not this. I can create the app if you'll give it a try...

Geoff
    www.geakware.com or mobile.geakware.com - Software for your Treo 600/650.
    Originally posted by geakware

I've tried a number of things, but not this. I can create the app if you'll give it a try...

Geoff
    Seems to work 100%.

Without installing FakeCarKit, the screen comes back on almost immediately after PhoneGuard turns it off during a call. With FakeCarKit installed, PhoneGuard turns the screen off after the set delay time, and it stays off.

Once PhoneGuard has turned the screen off, pressing the Phone Power Key on top turns the screen back on, as does pressing any of the four primary application buttons. Pressing any other key(s) does nothing, including the volume keys on the side and the five five-way pad buttons.

When the screen comes back on after pressing the Phone Power Key (or any of the four primary application buttons), the standard T600 KeyGuard is on, and behaves normally. I presume this is because I have Auto-KeyGuard set to come on "When power is turned off".

Since I have never enabled the PhoneGuard display function before, I am also presuming this is the desired effect, since I don't know for sure. Also note that my testing involved calling my T600, but I didn't test it when calling from my T600. I also didn't test it while on the phone and simultaneously receiving an SMS or other network alert.

I also forgot to test to see if, for example, pressing the space key while PhoneGuard has the screen turned off will still toggle the speakerphone mode.

Anyway, FakeCarKit installed and removed without incident, and appears to solve the CarKit problem (for everyone except those that happen to be using their T600 in a CarKit, and don't want the CarKit application disabled).

FakeCarKit was indeed invisible, and it was nice to see you remembered to set the backup bit.

Bill S

cc: pmail
    Originally posted by tvBilly

As of version 2.09 of the international firmware, the CarKit.prc is in ROM. ...
    Very slight correction: As of FW version 2.08...
    So, is this FakeCarKit app available anywhere?
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by aolumide
    So, is this FakeCarKit app available anywhere?
    FakeCarKit.prc can be found here and is free to anyone who wants it. I'll post a link on my site sometime later. Thanks to tvBilly for the idea.

Sincerely,
    Geoff
    Geoff:

A comment in another thread prompted this request. This could probably fit into the framework of phoneguard, even though it's not related to the keyboard (but then neither is the backlight issue).

One of the many minor annoyances of the Treo is that alarms still go off during a phone call, which is distracting at best. If PhoneGuard could add an option to mute alarms while on a call, I bet you'd gain an entire new group of purchasers. It seems you've already got all the code necessary to determine whether you're on a call or not, and figuring out how to mute alarms shouldn't be too hard. I hope.

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  7.    #27  
    Originally posted by meyerweb
    Geoff:

A comment in another thread prompted this request. This could probably fit into the framework of phoneguard, even though it's not related to the keyboard (but then neither is the backlight issue).

One of the many minor annoyances of the Treo is that alarms still go off during a phone call, which is distracting at best. If PhoneGuard could add an option to mute alarms while on a call, I bet you'd gain an entire new group of purchasers. It seems you've already got all the code necessary to determine whether you're on a call or not, and figuring out how to mute alarms shouldn't be too hard. I hope.

Thanks,
    Bob,

This is a great idea. I'll add it to my list of things to look into for future releases.

Geoff
    I second Bob's request - there have been too many times that I have been on a call and the phone begins to make noises for an alert that the person I am talking too can hear. I then have to switch the mute switch and apologize.

Strange that this was not a built in feature form the get go.
    yep.
    Thanks Geoff. I imagine you have a years worth of suggestions by now.

krock: There seem to be a lot of little oversights in the Treo's design. You'd think it was the first smart phone Handspring had designed, instead of the 3rd.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12