1.    #1  
    I am currently using a Blackberry 7230 device with T-Mobile. Now that it appears there are some Treo600s trickling out from TMO I am curious if it might be worth switching.

I like the BB because the email is solid.
    The web experience is something to be desired however and the screen colors are washed out.

I use the device about 70% for email and 30% for the web. I would like to use it more for the web but the experience is not the greatest.

As far as PIM functionality I use the calendar.....

What are the current Treo600 downsides?
    -No Bluetooth?
    -Screen Resolution?
    -Battery?
    -Push Email?
    -Keyboard (vs. BlackBerry)?
    -New Device Coming Out (610)?

I know that this board will be more biased towards the Treo600 (imagine that) but I have been splitting my time between this board and another Blackberry board - so any opinions are appreciated.

THANKS!
    jeff
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    Make sure to buy a second phone along with the Treo 600! when your 600 dies, they are in no big hurry to get you a USED replacement phone. been waiting 6 days now, which is 5 days too long for a device that costs this much! at least with a second phone you can just swap out your SIM card and have something to use while PalmOne trips all over themselves. it is a great phone, and this is the first problem we've had with it, all though total failure is a pretty big first problem.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    If you place email above everything else, stick with the Blackberry. Nothing on the Treo comes close (yet). And of course if your firm has enterprise Blackberry software, it beats the Treo hands down!
    I did a complete comparison of the Treo 600 and the 7230 for my company. As KRamsauer noted, if you value push corporate e mail, the BlackBerry wins. I like the phone on the Treo 600 much better, and there is no comparison with respect to additional applications, but I like the keyboard on the 7230 better!

As KRamsauer said, if your company has a BES, stick with the BlackBerry.

As for me, I'm using both
  5. NBP
    I will act as just another data point that has used both devices, if e-mail is of paramount importance - stick with the BlackBerry.

Also, keep in mind that RIM is getting very aggressive in licensing its software to other hardware manufactures (PalmOne, Samsung, Sony Ericsson - to name a few). So, my advice to any current BlackBerry user would be to sit tight and you may get the best of both worlds in the not-too-distant future.
    I wager there will be a PalmOS Blackberry client out by this summer for the Treo600. Thus, like NPB said... wait a while and you'll be able to get to BB and Treo both!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Some interesting responses. There is a developer active in the forum named Marc Blank. His program, Chatter, provides integrated IM and IMAP/push email support. It is in beta and its feature list is growing. Stability has improved and in my case, I have had no crashes from it for about one week. Chatter is not a "full service" email client, as it does not handle file attachments. However, what it does handle, it does so very well.

Every weekday I forward email from my main provider to an IMAP provider (Fastmail) and from there, it is pushed to my Treo. Time from an email reaching Fastmail to the Treo has been no more than 5 seconds when tested on one day to an average of about 3 seconds on that day (a Monday afternoon).

Worth taking a look at and with the service provided by Marc, an excellent investment.

Ben

--------

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JMF0
    [B]I am currently using a Blackberry 7230 device with T-Mobile. Now that it appears there are some Treo600s trickling out from TMO I am curious if it might be worth switching.

I like the BB because the email is solid.
    The web experience is something to be desired however and the screen colors are washed out.

--------------

A device designed for email will of course be solid. A device built to handle multiple applications has to have its software tweaked a bit. That tweaking results in programs that often far exceed dedicated devices.

-------------------------------

I use the device about 70% for email and 30% for the web. I would like to use it more for the web but the experience is not the greatest.

----------

I am a heavy user of HanDBase, so M-F it would be about 50%, Chatter about 40% and other functions including telephone would make the rest up.

---------------

As far as PIM functionality I use the calendar.....

What are the current Treo600 downsides?
    -No Bluetooth?
    -Screen Resolution?
    -Battery?
    -Push Email?
    -Keyboard (vs. BlackBerry)?
    -New Device Coming Out (610)?

---------------

I have no use for Bluetooth - accessing the home network wirelessly is not high on my priority. With Sprint's various plans, Internet access is not prohibitive. Screen resolution - I like the size of the Treo and rapidly adjusted to the compromises it caused. Battery? Well, it is better than the 300, but life is not always a bowl of goodies. Push email - check out Chatter. Keyboard - I played with the Blackberry before the Treo and was not unimpressed with the keyboard, just not impressed with the unit itself. I wanted more than... The 610 - rumor only, though if it shows up, I'll be on the wagon for it.

-----------------

I know that this board will be more biased towards the Treo600 (imagine that) but I have been splitting my time between this board and another Blackberry board - so any opinions are appreciated.

---

The opinions expressed here may be biased, but for the most part, the user participation is an honest cross section - if there is a compliant about the unit, it has been discussed here - pros and cons. All of us with Treos are more than aware of its cons and have no problem discussing them. Battery life, camera (I didn't buy it for the camera), and Sprint service (ranging from great to oh, well, to well qualified resps to idiots).

Take care. Ben