Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Did you get the upgrade 1.10? it should solve it..
    Seems to me the original poster wants to know how he can AIM with the built in SMS client. I would like to know this as well and have been doing some research on the web. Here is what I came up with: if you go to http://mymobile.aol.com/portal/im/sms.html and click on "See A Demo" in the second paragraph, it launches a little how to on doing just that. Once in the demo click on "AIM Text Messaging." It goes through how to set it up. It says to sign in you need to "write a text message and send it to a special number provided by your carrier." So, all we really need to know is what is that special number? I'm on SPCS and two way texting is relatively new, so maybe we just don't have that ability yet...
  3.    #23  
    Yep, That's exactly what I was looking to do, I don't know the "Special number", yet, but I am trying to find it out...
    Originally posted by Mahootzki
    I wanna "bump" this, because I haveto find out if there is a way to send an IM to my T600 and how??? (from my comp. to my phone using AIM)
    Using AIM on the PC, you can send a text message to any mobile phone by putting the person's mobile # in the "To:" field including area code and the "+" sign at the begining. (eg. +1408xxxxxxx)

The person with the mobile phone will receive, but cannot reply to it.
  5.    #25  
    Thanks, I JUST found that out (I downloaded the latest version of AIM, and it has the option of add buddy or add phone number) but there is NO WAY of having a chat...??? considering I don't wanna buy a third party program?
    I've read about the sms from computer thing too. But I think that if we get that "Special Number" then we can actually chat both ways. Once we have the number, it says to input your aim screen name and password and send it as an sms. Effectively, signing in to aim, but through sms. Maybe someone with proper sms (on another carrier than SPCS) can test it out for us?
    Originally posted by Mahootzki
    Thanks, I JUST found that out (I downloaded the latest version of AIM, and it has the option of add buddy or add phone number) but there is NO WAY of having a chat...??? considering I don't wanna buy a third party program?
    Mahootzki,

If someone initiates the aim session from their computer to your phone, then you may carry on from there. they have to start it then you can chat with them.

Until cingular gets with handspring to create an aim client for the treo that will allow you to see buddy lists and start chats, you have to do it this way, or buy the software others have suggested.

AIM is really just sms'ing between two clients. In the more traditional case, the 2 clients are pc's. The problem is that aim clients on pc's do not have email addresses the way cellphones do. For a cellphone to aim to aim on pc's they need a cellphone version of the software that we put on our computers. On the cingular 3595, cingular created one. For the treo, currently the only option is to buy the software or let the pc start the session.
  8.    #28  
    I wouldn't have a problem with this, but I can't answer back even when someone initiates it from a computer, which is wierd but looks like that's the way sprint set it up or something..
    Originally posted by Dragan
    I've read about the sms from computer thing too. But I think that if we get that "Special Number" then we can actually chat both ways. Once we have the number, it says to input your aim screen name and password and send it as an sms. Effectively, signing in to aim, but through sms. Maybe someone with proper sms (on another carrier than SPCS) can test it out for us?
    First, there is no special number. Go back and read the aol link above, click on the demo, and follow along. It's simple to set up.

Second, only Verizon, AT&T and Cingular "support" 2-way AOL chat on their SMS systems. I suspect the phone user will have to subscribe to the service to actually respond.

For all other carriers this is one-way only, from AIM to phone, not from phone to AIM.

And seriously guys, is $20 to much to spend for Chatter? Not only do you get AIM support but you also get the other IM carriers (Yahoo, ICQ...), fantastic support from Marc, and a good email client.
  10.    #30  
    Well, I guess it's Chatter time for me..... I AM OFFICIALLY GIVING UP...
    Is there anyone that would like to help me re-write this program (it is open source and i'll give the original author full credit) for the Treo 600. I would like AOL IM on my phone but i don't want to pay T-Mobile $20 a month for it if i can just tweek this current program and pay $5 using T-Zones.

Who wants to help me!
    Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi
    First, there is no special number. Go back and read the aol link above, click on the demo, and follow along. It's simple to set up.
    Actually, there is. After you click on "see a demo" you click on "AIM text messaging", then press "next" twice and it says "To sign on, write a new text message and send it to a special number provided by your carrier."

To me, I would much rather run AIM through SMS rather than installing and paying for another third party program. Just my two cents...
    On t-mobile, you send your sn and pass to 4646 to log on to aim I think.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12