Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone had any experience with the headphone adapter? Is there an alternative to having to buy the adpater? Perhaps a headphone that works directly with the existing jack? And maybe also can work as a headset?

Thanks!
    Handspring has earbuds that plug directly in on their site. Other than that, there is a switchable headphone/headset in the works (might be done by now) that you'll find if you search the forums. There are probably a few others you can find in random places, but the adapter is the easiest unless you're like me and want to solder your own 2.5mm miniplug and encase it w/ apoxy
  3.    #3  
    Thanks TrickerZ! Can't believe you made your own. You should post a pic of it. I was even thinking of doing making my own since none of the adpaters seemed up-to-par with the style and look of the Treo--silver (the GSM version of it), slim and sleek. But I'm a retard when it comes to electronics. Then again, it's just an adapter/converter, eh? Thanks again!
    I bought an adapter from Radio Shack (Cat# 274-373) It is a straight adapter instead of haveing a right angle.

I will be making an adapter later that has a resister in it, that way I can use Amplified speakers with my Treo 600 without any problems.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    OR like me, get a Nokia Stereo Headset that is used in the lastest phone. It has the same small jack. Clear sound for MP3 and teleconversation.

cheerio ... pwety
    Originally posted by TrickerZ
    Handspring has earbuds that plug directly in on their site. Other than that, there is a switchable headphone/headset in the works (might be done by now) that you'll find if you search the forums. There are probably a few others you can find in random places, but the adapter is the easiest unless you're like me and want to solder your own 2.5mm miniplug and encase it w/ apoxy
    Dude, it only costs $6.00 !!!
    Originally posted by silky_green
    Thanks TrickerZ! Can't believe you made your own. You should post a pic of it. I was even thinking of doing making my own since none of the adpaters seemed up-to-par with the style and look of the Treo--silver (the GSM version of it), slim and sleek. But I'm a retard when it comes to electronics. Then again, it's just an adapter/converter, eh? Thanks again!
    I bought a few of them from Hasndspring for the gym. I was SHOCKED at how loud the treo can play MP3 through the headphones. The Treo easily over powered my mid-grade Sony ear buds at full volume. The Treo becomes a very capable MP3 player with the headphone adapter.

Pocket Tunes is sweet and you can for free if you register your Treo on Handspring's web site.
    Originally posted by ToeCutter

Dude, it only costs $6.00 !!!
    yea, but it's big and ugly and doesn't fit in the pocket very well...I do have one, but I decided I'd rather rig my own headphones (w/ a gold plated 2.5mm miniplug btw) to make it more streamline. Anyway, it was fun

yea, but it's big and ugly and doesn't fit in the pocket very well...I do have one, but I decided I'd rather rig my own headphones (w/ a gold plated 2.5mm miniplug btw) to make it more streamline. Anyway, it was fun
    Post a picture if you can, I'd like to see what you came up with.

I agree, the headphone jack is a little big and the Treo doesn't fit in the slip case with it attached.
    I attached a picture of my little rigging. Sorry it's so poor, I think it was due to the reflection of light off the gold. But u get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I attached a picture of my little rigging. Sorry it's so poor, I think it was due to the reflection of light off the gold. But u get the idea.
    Taken with the Treo camera, no less!

Looks pretty svelte, I can see why you went through the trouble.

Well done!

(Now post instructions and Radio Shack part numbers...JK!)

Post a picture if you can, I'd like to see what you came up with.

I agree, the headphone jack is a little big and the Treo doesn't fit in the slip case with it attached.
    Fixed that too w/ an exacto knife I actually put it in upside down w/ the antenna sticking out of the hole I made so I don't have to unplug it when I need to check something.

Taken with the Treo camera, no less!

Looks pretty svelte, I can see why you went through the trouble.

Well done!

(Now post instructions and Radio Shack part numbers...JK!)
    Well, I actually found that 2.5mm miniplug on my remote for my Rio MP3 CD player...cut that off w/ my dremel and there were 3 circles to solder to, so first I tried figuring out which one was ground and soldered the ground of left and right headphones to it, then I was lazy and didn't care enough to look to see which was left and right and soldered the other 2 to the remaining 2 circles. If you bought a 2.5mm plug, it'd probably be labeled w/ all the necessary stuff and would probably be MUCH easier to solder (the middle circle was about .5mm diameter). What can I say, I wanted headphones and I wanted them NOW The apoxy was easy, u just let it set for a little bit so it's thicker and tacky and slop it all over the wires and let it seep in. hardens to be just like plastic and for those who care, it can be painted or dyed. As u can see, I like the clearness...shows off my handywork.
    I recently bought the 2.5mm stereo headsets with volume control from Seidio they are silver.

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...tCode=HMESV-SL

I am using them with audible books and pocket tunes. Mine work great. Seidio had a stereo handsfree set for the Treo 600 but if you go to the website and go to the link for Treo 600s they have a note that they pulled them due to technical problems but it apprears they expect to have them again when they fix the problem.

If I could figure out how to control the volume with the Treo 600 side volume buttons on Audible like you can now with Pocket Tunes I would love to get the Zip Linq model I found on the newaretech site from Europe. 2.5mm and an in-line mic.

http://www.newaretech.com/ziplinq_europe/audio.html

I carry my Treo 600 in a Motorola M100 (horizontal) case that I used to carry my SideKick in and I love it and the volume buttons are right there on the top side as well as the earphone jack and I could just as easily adjust the volume from the buttons if anyone knows of a fix for Audible.

I found a Zip Linq 3.5mm version on this site but I don't think it has an inline mic but you can use the Treo stereo adaptor.

www.welovemacs.com/zirepr.html

If you want white retratables try these at JavoEdge they are 3.5mm also.

http://www.javoedge.com/simtrix/prod...ory=HEADPHONES
  15.    #15  
    Hey TrickerZ! That's pretty nice. I searched around and it looks like there's a few 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapters but none that's angled 90-degrees except the one from HS. This one looks like the one you made: http://pc-mobile.net/sp2j3.jpg

This place (http://pc-mobile.net/treo600.htm) seems to have some good connection solutions for the Treo 600.

Here's something else that I found that seems interesting: http://www.pocketpctechs.com/Accessories.asp?type=audio
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by talaria
    I recently bought the 2.5mm stereo headsets with volume control from Seidio they are silver.
    Talaria, thanks for the links. I really like the Seidio combined stereo headphones/headset. Too bad they don't have it. That's the product I'm leaning towards. I do like that ZIP-LINQ product too. I wrote to them inquiring about a Treo 600 solution.

This site http://pc-mobile.net/treo600.htm has something that might work--a 2.5mm retractable cable with a 3.5mm adapter on the end with a microphone. There's a switch there to go from headphones to headset. The only thing is the picture of it (http://pc-mobile.net/tr6aa.jpg) looks rather cheap and doesn't look like it'll last.

One thing though, I'm still gonna probably pick up and adapter since I'm thinking of getting one of those FM transmitters so I can listen to audio books/music in my car through the radio. Anyone have any experiences with this? I think Belkin makes one for the iPod that seems to be okay.
    I want to plug in my "regular old" headphones to my Sprint T600 to listen to pocket tunes. I realize I need an adapter, so I went to Radio Shack and bought their ~$3 adapter that the salesman showed me.

Tried it right there in the store and it didn't work--the sound came through the speakerphone (ptunes) or earhole (phone), despite the adapter and headphones being plugged in.

The salesman couldn't explain it, and I returned it on the spot.

Shouldn't that work? It seems like it worked for an earlier poster. What do I exactly need to make this work...I'm looking for the least expensive solution a non-electrician can find.

10Q.
    Betty,

I have both the official treo headphone adapter (purchased on ebay for $5.00) and a radio shack 3.5mm(1/8inch) to 2.5mm(3/32inch) adapter ($4.00). The radio shack adapter required the shaving of approximately 1/8 inch of the plastic, for the adapter to fully connect/seat into the treo headphone connector on the phone. Unfortunately I shaved off approximately 1/4 inch and the adapter went in to far. The result is that now the speaker/headset mechanism within the phone does not work. Now I need to use the official treo adapter and "fiddle" with it in the socket onthe phone for a second to hear anyone on the headset or through the external speaker.

My advise is pay the $5 - $7 bucks and get the official treo unit. Now I am currently waiting on a replacement phone.
    I've found that with some listening devices (the irock in particular), even the Treo adapter didn't always work. I sometimes got sound out of the phone's speaker instead of being broadcast through the iRock to the car's FM receiver.

After reading one of the threads here talking about how the Treo recognizes impedence levels to know if there's a microphone "on the line" (I won't pretend to understand it technically), I decided to try the Seidio 2-in-1 adapter (http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...=HME2SVOT%2DSL), hoping that since it had a volume control that it would solve the problem. It did, and I suspect that some headphones with low impedence would have the same problems and the device would fix that.

The thread with a lot of info on this is here: http://69.64.37.197/forum/showthread.php?t=43706
    Quote Originally Posted by ToeCutter
    I bought a few of them from Hasndspring for the gym. I was SHOCKED at how loud the treo can play MP3 through the headphones. The Treo easily over powered my mid-grade Sony ear buds at full volume. The Treo becomes a very capable MP3 player with the headphone adapter.

Pocket Tunes is sweet and you can for free if you register your Treo on Handspring's web site.

I can't figure out if there's something wrong with my Treo or if I'm experiencing "user error"....even at very low volumes, I get really nasty bass distortion. I bought a good set of tiny, inner-ear style (Sony MDR-EX51LP Fontopia) headphones -- which are supposed to be very sensitive. I'm new to the world of MP3s, so I could be doing something wrong. But I've no idea what it could be. Any help would be very welcome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast