Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I went into a Sprint store today to look at the T600 as I think I am about to switch from a Samsung i330. The guy in the store suggested that I wait since a new model was supposed to come out late March or early April. He had not details on the phone, but that he thought it did not make sense to get a 600 right now.

From other posts it seems like the 610 is not due out until much later. Can anyone confirm?

Also, does anyone know of any bluetooth sdio card that will work (or that is coming out soon) and either has a headset profile, or will work for sharing the internect connection on the phone?
    There is no 610 announced, and most people (including myself) do not believe that such a model (with such a name or not) will be here before the fall.
    As someone aptly identified, in order for a phone to be out in that time frame, it would of had to be on FCC's website a month ago.

If there is a "610" to be available in "that time frame", it would have to include no hardware changes (I.E. upgrades). Which translates to "why wait".
    check out treo 610 under search.its all been discussed. bottom line no one knows for sure. don't put to much weight in the lack of an fcc filing. it may not be needed for the discussed rumors.
    you will see the 610 in March. probably not available until April. Verizon first...sprint and the rest to follow.

FCC approval not required. No bluetooth. (sorry guys...not until fall release of newer device)

Will ship with Palm ***** OS on it. It will be the first phone introduced with the new PalmOS which is 5 with a few enhancements but named something different so as not to directly compete with OS6.

Will support Java, have 320x320 res screen and 64meg of ram (54meg available).

There will two other major enhancements I cannot mention. They would unfortunatly know exactly who leaked the information.

<><
    mykbol

P.S. PalmOne should have had the former Handspring employees sign a new PalmOne NDA before they let us go.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    There is no 610 announced, and most people (including myself) do not believe that such a model (with such a name or not) will be here before the fall.
    Yeah before the fall of Palm One. They are gonna get to the Treo 610 probably in 2005 July. Pathetic.
    and so the wait continues....
    2005 october - bluetooth treo
    Originally posted by mykbol
    you will see the 610 in March. probably not available until April. Verizon first...sprint and the rest to follow.

FCC approval not required. No bluetooth. (sorry guys...not until fall release of newer device)

Will ship with Palm ***** OS on it. It will be the first phone introduced with the new PalmOS which is 5 with a few enhancements but named something different so as not to directly compete with OS6.

Will support Java, have 320x320 res screen and 64meg of ram (54meg available).

There will two other major enhancements I cannot mention. They would unfortunatly know exactly who leaked the information.

<><
    mykbol

P.S. PalmOne should have had the former Handspring employees sign a new PalmOne NDA before they let us go.
    1) 320x320...does that mean the screen is bigger or better resolution? If the screen is bigger, does that mean the unit is bigger in size?

2) Any chance the annoying nub of an antenna disappears?

3) Final one and I'll leave you alone, any chance of integrated Wi-Fi in the near futer?
    I still don't get why anyone would want WiFi on a T600. BT I can get, it would be handy for the hotel room / laptop and for the headset...but what in the world would anyone want with WiFi that you can't already get with 1xRTT or BT?

I've had a PPC with WiFi and you could almost watch the battery level drop real-time. Okay, that's an exageration...but not that far from true. I had envisioned that I would use the PPC WiFi for browsing and then I found that the problem wasn't network speed but PIE rendering speed. The only thing I ended up using it for was wireless syncing...which would have been much better served by a $25 USB BT dongle or some such.

-Rob
    Form Factor is identical and Antenna is same. Screen is same size but DOUBLE the resolution. I don't know who is in charge of the Treo 6 series now. WiFi isn't in the plan right now. I doubt very seriously we will see the combination soon. In all of our testing the WiFi radio is just too much of a drain on the battery to make the Treo a viable option to those switching from telephones (rembember the higher ram and double the res screen do impact the battery already). Bluetooth will be coming, but not in the 610.

Any more questions I would be happy to answer what I know.

mykbol
    Originally posted by Rob600
    I still don't get why anyone would want WiFi on a T600. BT I can get, it would be handy for the hotel room / laptop and for the headset...but what in the world would anyone want with WiFi that you can't already get with 1xRTT or BT?

I've had a PPC with WiFi and you could almost watch the battery level drop real-time. Okay, that's an exageration...but not that far from true. I had envisioned that I would use the PPC WiFi for browsing and then I found that the problem wasn't network speed but PIE rendering speed. The only thing I ended up using it for was wireless syncing...which would have been much better served by a $25 USB BT dongle or some such.

-Rob
    In general, I would agree on the WiFi issue. I've used on PPC and my old Handera 330. I honestly think that most people who want it have not used it on a PDA. I don't mean that in an overly negative tone. But like you, I've seen what it does to a battery and as far as the speed is concerned, it's total overkill. The PDA can't handle the data and the rendering takes a hit. Speed is always a good thing, but like I said.... overkill.

But the news coming out is good. Sure, I'd like bluetooth. Very much so in fact. But the improved screen and the extra memory are both good. More so with respect to the screen.

So now it seems the question will be what the two other "major enhancements" are that mykbol refers to. Here are my potential guesses.

1] Improved camera (maybe not higher resolution, but perhaps better optics)
    2] removeable battery
    3] slight increase in height to address issue of SD card popping out.
    4] voice dialing and/or voice recording enabled on the device
    5] push-to-talk

Mind you, these are just blind guesses. But you never know. Speculate away.......
    Last edited by SteveNYC; 02/06/2004 at 05:12 PM.
    I just spoke with Handspring Sales and they have no information on a Treo 610 being released in March. In fact, the only information they have on the Treo 610 is from people calling them.

They stated that the Treo 610 is a rumor....for now.
    Though I appreciate the rumor "information" - why is it that no one else seems to have heard any of this? I am about to get the T6 with Sprint, but would certainly wait if VZW was coming on board.
    Form Factor is identical and Antenna is same. Screen is same size but DOUBLE the resolution. I don't know who is in charge of the Treo 6 series now. WiFi isn't in the plan right now. I doubt very seriously we will see the combination soon. In all of our testing the WiFi radio is just too much of a drain on the battery to make the Treo a viable option to those switching from telephones (rembember the higher ram and double the res screen do impact the battery already). Bluetooth will be coming, but not in the 610.

Any more questions I would be happy to answer what I know.

mykbol
    I have a couple questions...

Will this phone still have the camera, or is it a model without to answer the needs of those who can't have one at work?

When the new model comes out (for Sprint as an example) will the Treo 600 remain, or is it designed to replace it altogether?

Will the phone be the same price point, or is it expected to sell for more?

If you are anyway in the know, could you tell us how many Treo 600's have been shipped thus far? One person said they heard 50,000 on a conference call, but it sounded like a call for a specific carrier, not Handspring themselves.
    How about the processor? Will it be upgraded? I think that blazer would have significant performance gain from having the processor speed at least doubled. It seems to stuggle with rendering graphics quick enough to keep up with the data coming across the line. It's especially noticeable when you re-display a page saved offline. You wouldn't think it would take 30 - 60 seconds to re-draw something stored in memory. The processor has to be the bottleneck right now. Sprint's bandwidth seems to be fine. The 133mHz processor is just too slow right now for the type of web browsing I want.

BTW, of course P1 will deny a new model coming out in a few months even if it's a true. It would drag down the sales of the current model. And if the model conains the same radio parts as the old one then I don't think they would have to re-file with the FCC. For all we know it could just be called the Treo 600a and replace manufacturing of the current one.
    Just read the other post with the PalmOne logo rebranded on new Treo 600's. Maybe they changed the cosmetic design of the shell in anticipation of re-using it for the new model.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    you could always wait, there will always be a replacement. it's just like computers, buy one and 6months later it's last years model. if you want one now, buy one. the 610 is purely a rumor and anybody on these boards that says they have inside info is yankin your chain! PalmOne is too busy trying to 600's into people's hands for the first time right now...and busy replacing all the broken ones.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Form Factor is identical and Antenna is same. Screen is same size but DOUBLE the resolution.
    I don't think the Treo 610 is real, but even if it were, it would be 4 times the resolution, not double.
    Not integrated BT and WiFi. What a joke.
    Why would they make it 4x the resolution? That would eat up WAY too much of the battery. It would also jack up the price WAY too much. The Treo design philosophy has always been to give the widest range of functionalily while keeping the price down by using either status quo or sub-standard status quo parts (e.g. 133 mHz processor, .3 MP camera,etc). A 4X resolution screen would be quite a departure from that and would also suggest a 400 mHz processor and 1 MP camera. I DOUBT any of those would fly unless you wanted to charge $1,000 for it. May as well put a Sony logo on it then.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast