Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    So now the question...do I upgrade now to the T-Mobile Treo 600 or do I wait for the next Treo version to come out. My budget does not allow for upgrading phones every 6 months.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I can't believe that so many of you "early adopters" are surpised and sceptical that a replacement for the T600 may be released within 60 days. Get real! The T3 came out soon after the T2 (6 months if I recall) to improve upon it's shortcomings. The original T received a price cut (sales increased) and the T3 took the premium price point. Why not do the same with the Treo line?

Why should the phone you bought be the ONLY phone they release every year. Get real times are competitive and they must release newer and better models or be pushed to the side. A releively "minor" upgrade to the Treo line is not a new product that will replace the T600 but a newer model that will allow P1 to gain makret share with an entry level T600 and the premium level T610. Makes perfect sense to me. In fact I expect a T620 before the end of this year. Think of the T600 at $250 (pre subsidy), the T610 $349 (pre-subsidy) and the T620 for $499 (pre-subsidy) with BT/Hi Rez screen, Wifi, and all of the bells and whisltes you can think of.. This is MUCH cheaper for P1 to do then redesigning the form factor etc each time they want to improve the model.. It won't canabilize sales anyomore than the T3 did to the T2. If they move the T600 down market at a cheaper price point they will increase sales and "early adopters" like you will upgrade to the next best phone. More sales, more revenue and more market share. The T600 won't be going away...just going down market.

BigTex
    Last edited by BigTex; 02/10/2004 at 10:49 AM.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Originally posted by BigTex
    I can't believe that so many of you "early adopters" are surpised and sceptical that a replacement for the T600 may be released within 60 days. Get real! The T3 came out soon after the T2 (6 months if I recall) to improve upon it's shortcomings. The original T received a price cut (sales increased) and the T3 took the premium price point. Why not do the same with the Treo line?
    Why not? Because the T2 had pictures/specs leaked months beforehand. The Treo 610 does not (if you read the only webpage claiming the existence of the device, it has no specs at all different from the existing device except a screen "better than 160x160"). The T2 is a handheld requiring no FCC approval, the Treo will need it and no evidence of such approval has been spotted. The T2 is a handheld that doesn't need carrier consent. The Treo will need consent and there is no evidence of it being in the pipeline at any carrier. The only thing that makes me think it may be real is the same change that is guessed at in the 610 (a different screen) was the same change made to the m505 and the T|T. It just all smells bad to me.
    More sales, more revenue and more market share. The T600 won't be going away...just going down market.
    This would be the smartest thing that PalmOne could do. They need a large and growing market for the Treo. After all, this is where they plan to focus most of their growth. They need an approach where they can compete in the much larger $249 market segment...not just the rarified air of the $599 market.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Why not? Because the T2 had pictures/specs leaked months beforehand. The Treo 610 does not (if you read the only webpage claiming the existence of the device, it has no specs at all different from the existing device except a screen "better than 160x160").
    Wrong: Brighthand reported the rumor as well as BarginPDA

The T2 is a handheld requiring no FCC approval, the Treo will need it and no evidence of such approval has been spotted. The T2 is a handheld that doesn't need carrier consent. The Treo will need consent and there is no evidence of it being in the pipeline at any carrier.
    If the only thing changing is memory and screen Rez FCC approval is NOT required nor would the carriers need to "consent" to carry the same item (except for memory and screen rez) that they are already carrying.

Think about it. This is NOT a new phone! This is the same phone with the same radio and the same form factor....just a diff screen.

Also I believe the example I used was the short rollout between the T2 and T3. Also the T3 has BT so it required FCC approval....
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Why not? Because the T2 had pictures/specs leaked months beforehand. The Treo 610 does not (if you read the only webpage claiming the existence of the device, it has no specs at all different from the existing device except a screen "better than 160x160"). The T2 is a handheld requiring no FCC approval, the Treo will need it and no evidence of such approval has been spotted. The T2 is a handheld that doesn't need carrier consent. The Treo will need consent and there is no evidence of it being in the pipeline at any carrier. The only thing that makes me think it may be real is the same change that is guessed at in the 610 (a different screen) was the same change made to the m505 and the T|T. It just all smells bad to me.
    The enhancements being suggested would not change the looks or require fcc filings. Lack of photos and filings means nothing.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 02/10/2004 at 06:10 PM.

Wrong: Brighthand reported the rumor as well as BarginPDA
    Correct: the story references BargainPDA and has no other evidence. http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ru...aring_Treo_610

If the only thing changing is memory and screen Rez FCC approval is NOT required nor would the carriers need to "consent" to carry the same item (except for memory and screen rez) that they are already carrying.
    Changing to what though? Nothing has been released. The "rumor" says it will have 32 megs of RAM. I don't know about your's, but mine already has it. As for the screen, all the BargainPDA page has, is "better than 160x160." My friend, these are not indicative of a real product.
    Originally posted by JTREOB

The enhancements being suggested would not change the looks or require fcc filings. Lack of photos and filings means nothing.
    So you are going to trust a single site, that claims to have information no one else does, and information that is odd, to say the least? To each his own. I, for one, hope you are right. I just can't make my brain fall in. Besides, where are the leaked pictures that are a hallmark of the new PalmOne devices? There have been no such leaks. It just smells fishy to me.
    As I stated earlier I have no idea. I do know a rom flash is suggested soon which would allow for voice recording. for me, I need nothing more. we shall see.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 02/11/2004 at 01:22 AM.
    when looking at the specs of the 600 I was most surprised by how few colors it has. Handspring seems so embarased by their screen that they don't tell you the resolution of the screen. Every Pocket pc pda and smart phone has 65k colors, how many does the 610 have?
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Kurt you may be correct on all of your points. We won't know until we know.

Besides, where are the leaked pictures that are a hallmark of the new PalmOne devices?
    What would you be expecting? A photo like this that only confrims that the form factor ect is 100% like the T600 and only the "guts" are enhanced?

I hope that I am right as well. You skepicism is warranted....but we can hope
    Attached Images Attached Images

What would you be expecting? A photo like this that only confrims that the form factor ect is 100% like the T600 and only the "guts" are enhanced?
    I was thinking something along the lines of the T|T and T|T2 differences: a name difference (though I just realized there is no name on the Treo 600 front, just "Treo") and a slight color change (the original Ts and the T2s are slightly different). If there is a new 600 series, I think it will have these changes.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234