Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by Tribalenvy

When the new model comes out (for Sprint as an example) will the Treo 600 remain, or is it designed to replace it altogether?
    A very good question...because, if/when the new Treo comes out and my current model happens to...ahem...stop functioning correctly...Best Buy would replace it with whatever's current. Although, according the the salesperson there, if there is no similar phone to the T600 when mine breaks, they would be obligated to give me something with a digital camera, pda, and phone. So, that means (and he told me this) they could give me three seperate units to replace the one. Not likely to happen, but I just thought it was funny and ironic. Would that be deconvergence?
    Originally posted by Bob-C
    Why would they make it 4x the resolution?
    New resolution / Old Resolution = Multiple of Resolution.
    (320*320) / (160*160) = 4 = 4 x the resolution.
    Ahhh! Clever semantics, Mr Clinton. I am so embarrassed by your clever display that I now vote to dismiss these impeachment proceedings. Not.

"It all depends on how you define the word 'it'."
    I think what Kurt is saying is that 320x320 is 4 times the area (i.e., resolution) of 160x160, not merely double. Draw the picture and all will become clear. :-)

-- Ed
    Originally posted by Tribalenvy

If you are anyway in the know, could you tell us how many Treo 600's have been shipped thus far? One person said they heard 50,000 on a conference call, but it sounded like a call for a specific carrier, not Handspring themselves.
    From a January 25th article on the Treo 600 in the New York Times:

"According to [PalmOne], it shipped about 100,000 of the new devices between its mid-October debut and the end of November -- an impressive start given both the high price and the fact that it was compatible only with Sprint's mobile service for the first few weeks. (It now works with several big carriers.)"

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...A80894DC404482
    Originally posted by mykbol
    Any more questions I would be happy to answer what I know.

mykbol
    Hey Mykbol,

Any comment on the potential for a removeable battery? Or how about the camera.

Even a hint?

As for everyone else (mykbol knows far more than I do), I got word from someone I know in Verizon (we have a very large account pending with them) that it is very much on the way. In fact, I was sent a follow-up e-mail yesterday that indicated it was moving along faster than he expected. It's in testing in the lab, and things can happen, but still....

This is not a person directly involved in the testing, but I know where his information comes from, so I am very comfortable with the assertion that Verizon is going to carry this in the next few months.

Now if they'd only change that pesky data plan cost.......
    Why would they make it 4x the resolution? That would eat up WAY too much of the battery. It would also jack up the price WAY too much. The Treo design philosophy has always been to give the widest range of functionalily while keeping the price down by using either status quo or sub-standard status quo parts (e.g. 133 mHz processor, .3 MP camera,etc). A 4X resolution screen would be quite a departure from that and would also suggest a 400 mHz processor and 1 MP camera. I DOUBT any of those would fly unless you wanted to charge $1,000 for it. May as well put a Sony logo on it then.
    320x320 rez is a pretty standard for palmos devices these days and hardly an over reach. In fact the original Treo600 should have had this to begin with! Anyway, all the component costs for these things also drop btw, so a more powerful proc, high MP camera etc should be expected...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    SteveNYC,

When I was "in the know" with handspring the removable battery wasn't an option that we were pursuing at the time. The lifecycle of the current device does not lend itself to this option. Remember the form-factor of the 610 is identical to the current model (if it is as it was). Besides that...the Battery technology that would cater to what the Treo 6 series needs was still 8-12 months out. I assume that the timetable still stands and removable batteries will probably be introduced in the next generation Treo...(late Q4 early Q1). I really don't know positively on this one.

I have head from a friend that the p.shots are complete therefore layouts should begin soon. Verizon probably has their own p.shots and layout completed by now...probably matchprint stage.

As for the original Treo 600 hanging around...well maybe. I don't know. I heard from a friend inside that Palm has already discontinued production. Remember that HS builds the Treo 600 in very short-run productions. Thus eliminating the heavy burdon of STOCK. While HS did run short productions to eliminate having excesses...there are a few components that you just have to aquire in gross quantities for the price efficiencies needed to be competative. The major one of these is the 160x160 color screen. My friend has told me that the excess stock has already been utilized in upcoming products from Palm. Maybe a color Zire for under $100?

Well that is probably enough info to satisfy you for now SteveNYC.

I can't wait to get my hands on a final production of this new model.

mykbol
    mykbol, thanks for all your great info. I hope you didnt think I was in any way short changing your info or insulting you in anyway, its just after hearing so many rumors for so long abotu VZW releasing their own version, guess I have fallen victim to the cynical darkside.

Thanks again.
    you will see the 610 in March. probably not available until April. Verizon first...sprint and the rest to follow.

FCC approval not required. No bluetooth. (sorry guys...not until fall release of newer device)

Will ship with Palm ***** OS on it. It will be the first phone introduced with the new PalmOS which is 5 with a few enhancements but named something different so as not to directly compete with OS6.

Will support Java, have 320x320 res screen and 64meg of ram (54meg available).

There will two other major enhancements I cannot mention. They would unfortunatly know exactly who leaked the information.

<><
    mykbol

P.S. PalmOne should have had the former Handspring employees sign a new PalmOne NDA before they let us go.
    Excuse me, but my guess is that this whole "insider" series of posts is a hoax. "I can't mention the two mystery enhancements without blowing my cover" (as if so few people would know the details on a product coming out next month -- and if there is no NDA why would you care?) Puh-lease!!
    markboy08:

I am not trying to anger you or anyone else. To help that point this will be my last post on the topic.

I don't know if you do now or ever have worked in the technology industry...but once you are marked as a potential information hazzard work is tough to get (previous employers tend to frown on this habit...and mention it).

Hypothetically speaking...if you were getting information from friends inside of a company you once worked for...and lets say your friends were able to last past the downsize and thus did NDA...would you be willing to leak information that isn't already rumored which inturn could injure your friends careers and/or your own?

As for the things I have mentioned that you seem to be upset about...let me clarify: I AM NOT AN INSIDER. I AM CURRENTLY BETWEEN JOBS. I do however have friends that have jobs. As for the release date. I have NEVER mentioned when it would be released. Just when it would be announced and a guess as to when it would ship.

markboy08, you have the choice to trust me or not...frankly I guess I shouldn't let it bother me so much. So for that I apologize. Just don't forget about me in March

mykbol
    Hey mykbol, if you're legit my sympathies to you. Good luck finding work and vote Kucinich!

As far as the reports of a 320x320 screen, that would be great. That and the insect-sized thumbboard were the two biggest reasons I didn't upgrade from my Treo 300. I don't believe you mentioned it, but I believe that other rumors stated that the screen would be reflective. I know that a lot of people frown on this, but I actually think that it probably does make more sense for a device that needs good outdoor visibility. Any thoughts/comments on that rumor?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by breckbone
    [B]

A very good question...because, if/when the new Treo comes out and my current model happens to...ahem...stop functioning correctly...Best Buy would replace it with whatever's current.

That is why I was asking

Well that is probably enough info to satisfy you for now SteveNYC.

I can't wait to get my hands on a final production of this new model.

mykbol
    mykbol,

Your information is fantastic. Ignore anyone who says they don't believe you. Skeptics will always be skeptics. Besides, it's all just fun until the phone is released anyway. But please don't stop posting. Take care with your sources of information. I know I do. You speak too much and that information dries up real fast, which I'm sure you know well enough. I don't think people understand how close to the source some of this info is. Not just you either. There are others postings on other boards too that agree. But I'll say it again, I've gotten confirmations from Verizon that it is on the way. They're testing it now.

Also, Sorry to hear about your job situation.

As for the removeable battery, too bad; it would have been nice. But hey, the most significant thing to me was that Verizon was going to carry the Treo 600 to begin with. The fact that it is now going to be the Treo 610 with some additional features is gravy in my opinion. Good gravy but gravy.

But PLEASE don't stop posting. You and a few guys on Howardforums.com have been posting some great info.

I'll just have to wait to see what those other two enhancements are that you mentioned.

Thanks again.

Oh yeah, one other thing.... there is never enough information to satisy me.... more info, more details!
    Hey there Please don't stop posting info.. I'm hanging on every word!

Any idea if the notoriously weak-vibrate of the current Treo will be improved?

Thanks !!
    I thought we were finished with all the resolution talk before the T6 was released. There is thread after thread after thread.......... on this subject. LET IT GO!!!
    Originally posted by Scott R
    Hey mykbol, if you're legit my sympathies to you. Good luck finding work and vote Kucinich!

Scott

TOTALLY off topic, but I got to laugh. Kucinich has about as much chance of being president as the treo "610" showing up before Valentines day. Might as well not vote at all.

Back to topic. Mykbol it will be cool if you are right. Everyone else: there will still be something for you whine about even if a 320x320 screen is added. As Predator-1 said, "LET IT GO!!!".
    Wi-fi? ya I want that. NOT. Thats why I got a pda/phone, so my pda could get on th net via the phone. Makes no sense to add wifi. None. On a palm yes because there is no internet access. DUH! BT maybe, but not on sprint.

In the meantime everyone that was dumb enough to buy a phone that was soooo short of their desired features should hold their breath waiting for the new model that will still not have all you want. Just please do it while standing on the railing of your nearest freeway overpass so when you pass out we wont have to listen to "I wish I wish I wish" anymore.

Mykbol, one last thought. Ever consider that your insider friends might be f***ing with you?

Ya ya I know, I'm not nice. So what. I'm happy with my phone.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Why would they make it 4x the resolution? That would eat up WAY too much of the battery. It would also jack up the price WAY too much. The Treo design philosophy has always been to give the widest range of functionalily while keeping the price down by using either status quo or sub-standard status quo parts (e.g. 133 mHz processor, .3 MP camera,etc). A 4X resolution screen would be quite a departure from that and would also suggest a 400 mHz processor and 1 MP camera. I DOUBT any of those would fly unless you wanted to charge $1,000 for it. May as well put a Sony logo on it then.
    How do you figure a hires screen would increase the cost to $1000?

The Tungsten E has 320x320 and retails for $199.

I use my Treo 600 ALOT. By far the biggest improvement would be a hires screen, especially for web and email.

I can't quite understand why everyone is so anxious about the hires screen...
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ToeCutter

How do you figure a hires screen would increase the cost to $1000?

The Tungsten E has 320x320 and retails for $199.

I use my Treo 600 ALOT. By far the biggest improvement would be a hires screen, especially for web and email.

I can't quite understand why everyone is so anxious about the hires screen...
    have you ever used a 320x320 screen?
    I have a few apps Id like to run at 320x320 and a couple that I'm interested in that won't work at all with 160x160.

Some of the 320x320 apps (NesEm) would only be any good at 320x320 if they bumped up the processor speed too. I'betting the combination of the two would deffinitely affect the battery life though.

Worth the loss in battery life? You bet! For me anyway. I usually plug my Treo in once a day to sync and play with it on the PC anyway so it's not like I'm actually taxing the battery right now. It rarely drops below 50%, and that's when I'm showing off movies and stuff.

mmplayer at 320x320? Warefare incorporated? Arcade emulators? Oh yeah... I'll buy an external battery attachment if I can have 320x320.

--TechDude
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast