View Poll Results: MMS ANY good on Treo 600 Orange UK?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 40.00%
  • No

3 60.00%
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone help?

I can send MMS messages OK but receiving is a problem. When a mesage comes in there is just an error bleep which is often missed. The error given is:

8-bit SMS has parse error!
    CWBXMLParser::NextPair() - bad!

If I then click on Ok I can get to the message. Most of my MMS messages come from Vodaphone so I thought this might have something to do with it.

I have spoken to Orange Technical about this and apart from being generally unknowedgeable about the Treo 600 they said to do a hard reset. Well of course I hadn't though of resetting (!!!). They also said that there is an issue with Vodophone. This was not helpful as the Orange website clearly says that their MMS is compatible with all major service providers. Anyway last time I tried a hard reset I then tried to send a message to myself (and before restoring any software). The same thing happened. So, Vodophone is not the problem.... entirely? Well to complicate things further, my wife sends MMS from her Motorola V525 (on Vodaphone) and if the MMS is a photograph it gets through (after the error message) but if it is one of the V525's built in messages it always says that I have to go to a website (after the error message of course!). Not very versatile.

With a camera, an MMS prorgam installed out of the box, a subscription to Orange that includes MMS, why do I have this problem? And why can't they help me out?

Just as a matter of interest, GPRS works OK generally, but I regularly have to reset (soft) to get it to work. Surely this invalidates the idea of have an always on system if it can't work consistently until you reset.

As a last comment, how can companies get away with selling hardware/software (??) that are faulty, and take your subscription for a service plan, but then cannot rectify the fault and offer any hope? I like the Treo600 but all of the extras it was to bring are not really working and it turns out to be no better than my Treo180 and Treo270 were when it comes down to it. I have a Tungsten C and the display is so much better, I wonder why I bothered buying the Treo600 when I did - well I thought Handspring had plenty of time to get it right (via 180, 270) but they haven't. And even if it turns out to be Orange's fault it is up to Handspring/Palm to make them get their act together.

A previously loyal Treo user.

ps I've also been ripped off by Apple for too many years now - OS 10.3 (third pay for upgrade) still causes pain to a power user.

I had the same problem. Sometimes it didn't happen, but most of the time it did.

I hate that mms program anyway. I never understand how it's supposed to work - when it says it's sending the mms in the background, I can't work out whether or not I'm allowed to exit the mms app before it's sent the message - sometimes it seems to work, and other times the message sits in the outbox.

I'm just trying sending myself a message now (firmware 1.15, hardware version B) and... it waited a while and said "unable to open network connection" when trying to send. It tried again (apparently) and yes, I get the same error about 8-bit SMS has parse error. But the message did arrive.
  3.    #3  
    Hi hegedusa

Have you contacted Orange about the problem? If yes did they offer any advice? I indicated that they only suggested that I do a hard reset, which didn't help. It's beginning to cost me now as my wife and I have sent so many MMS messages trying to see if the problem is solved, that we have exceeded our "free" allocation. I think that Orange should reimburse. Better still they should solve the problem. Has anyone an idea when there will be official OS or firmware updates for the Orange UK treo600? I don't want to try any unofficial ones as there are many users who have problems with them.

All the best.
    I had the same issue here using orange uk. after installing firmaware 2.09 and removing thereby oranges junky stuff it has gone away. it has removed all the reliabillity issues too so the firmware is a must for orange uk users.
    I installed the firmware upgrade to 2.08 and yes, it did remove orange's "junky stuff" (backup, update and something else which temporarily escapes me), but one problem was introduced that I cannot live with:

If I'm on a call using the external headset, keyboard input stops every few seconds for about 2 seconds. This renders the device unusable for, say, taking people's addresses whilst on the phone, as characters typed keep getting missed.

Interestingly, this does not happen when using the phone either with its built-in earpiece (though that does make it a bit difficult to type anyway), or the speakerphone.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this problem exists with 2.09?

Thanks

Anthony
    Originally posted by HeyHey
    Hi hegedusa

Have you contacted Orange about the problem? If yes did they offer any advice? I indicated that they only suggested that I do a hard reset, which didn't help. It's beginning to cost me now as my wife and I have sent so many MMS messages trying to see if the problem is solved, that we have exceeded our "free" allocation. I think that Orange should reimburse. Better still they should solve the problem. Has anyone an idea when there will be official OS or firmware updates for the Orange UK treo600? I don't want to try any unofficial ones as there are many users who have problems with them.

All the best.
    I haven't contacted orange yet - I don't really like the mms application - I use email instead anyway. I just can't face orange taking me through the "have you done a hard reset" bit. I've had enough hassle with orange over their incorrectly billing me for the now defunct orange assistant.

Having said that, their customer service is a hell of a lot better than voodoophone....
    I'd updated mine to 2.09 after reading all the comments and it was dead easy with all my software including Launcher X config restored sucessfully. I'd used MMS ok but I was'nt impressed with it so I use email to send pics under a GPRS bundle. I'd was'nt impressed with the Orange bundled apps as Update never have anything to download since after I'd brought it. Backup was a good idea but then I'd backed up my phone on my pc anyway so what the point?

Anyway that why I'd updated mine. I think Orange have not really thought out their support for this product as there is no ringtones or accessories available for this phone.

I'm happy with it and think it's a superb phone where after 7 years of using a phone and palm, I'd now got a combined unit that I like. I did change from a Tunsten C to this as I'd got fed up looking for wi-fi hotspots.

Yes I would prefer a bigger screen and bluetooth for my next upgrade please
    Using 2.09, if you are using the external earpiece/headset and are on a call, is there a problem with the keyboard response? Try going into some application or other and holding down a key? Does it auto-repeat continuously or does it stop every few seconds? This is the problem I was having with mine when I went to 2.08 and I am a little nervious about upgrading again - I'm already on my third handset!

And you're right, the built-in apps were useless (the orange ones) - I mean what's the point in the little "calvin" cartoon? Is that really an update?

Originally posted by sneinton2004
    I'd updated mine to 2.09 after reading all the comments and it was dead easy with all my software including Launcher X config restored sucessfully. I'd used MMS ok but I was'nt impressed with it so I use email to send pics under a GPRS bundle. I'd was'nt impressed with the Orange bundled apps as Update never have anything to download since after I'd brought it. Backup was a good idea but then I'd backed up my phone on my pc anyway so what the point?

Anyway that why I'd updated mine. I think Orange have not really thought out their support for this product as there is no ringtones or accessories available for this phone.

I'm happy with it and think it's a superb phone where after 7 years of using a phone and palm, I'd now got a combined unit that I like. I did change from a Tunsten C to this as I'd got fed up looking for wi-fi hotspots.

Yes I would prefer a bigger screen and bluetooth for my next upgrade please
    I'd just tried using the earpiece calling Orange 150 and made an entry in DateBook 5 at the same time without any problems.

Does that help?

ref the useless apps - don't forget the "Auld Lang Syne" ringtone as well :-}

I'm surprised that you are on your 3rd handset. I'd never had that many problems with mine since I had it in November and I'd even used it in Egypt!
    That helps, yes. I'd only tried 2.08.

1st handset - suddenly started buzzing (for the person I was calling, not me)

2nd handset - upgraded to 2.08 and caused too many problems ref earpiece, and screen was streaky

3rd handset - now on rev. b hardware - and the speaker for handsfree and alarms/ringing seems to have a crackle (unless I hold the treo upside down(!)), and am thinking of getting a replacement for that reason alone

Originally posted by sneinton2004
    I'd just tried using the earpiece calling Orange 150 and made an entry in DateBook 5 at the same time without any problems.

Does that help?

ref the useless apps - don't forget the "Auld Lang Syne" ringtone as well :-}

I'm surprised that you are on your 3rd handset. I'd never had that many problems with mine since I had it in November and I'd even used it in Egypt!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I am having exactly these problems... where do I get the firmware..
  12. jgk
    I'm now on my third handset in 7 months with Orange - all for the "buzzing heard at the other end but not by me" problem. The first two were fine for a couple of months but then started buzzing - at the same tinme the battery usage seems to plummet dramatically. No firmware updates installed - I'm not that brave!

I've spent many a long hour trying to discuss this with Orange! They seem happy enough to replace the phone as all I need to do to convince them it's unworkable is to phone them from the Treo :-) Unfortunately they then try to charge me a fee for changing the handset, at which point I have to explain to them about the number of people with this problem on here, and the fact that it's clearly a design problem.

I agree that Orange are just not geared up for the Treo - the call centre people don't know it as any different from any other phone (the last person told me to take the battery out before returning it!) and they sell no accesssories whatsoever. It seems a bit of an embarrassment to them!

Real pity, as I now run my life on it and would hate to go back to a Two-box solution, but I'm losing patience with this very annoying recuring problem and Orange's refusal to admit that it exists.
    I have an Orange Treo with non of the above problems except loosing GPRS and having to do a soft reset. I am sure I have the first firmware and software for Orange and don't want to risk the firmware upgrade even though I would love to de-Orangeify it.