Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, (newbee to treocentral, please be gentle!)

    I asked the following question of Handspring recently and, surprisingly, they simply could not give me a straight answer (although I think they just didn't understand as their responses were all in broken english...). This is the first time I've experienced poor service from Handspring, and I hope it's not indicative of their move to the Pa1mOne umbrella... anyway, here goes:

    "On my old Treo 270 (and every other mobile phone I've owned prior to that), if I receive 5 messages from one person, e.g. "Kate Williams", there will be 5 separate messages from Kate Williams in the Inbox, and I can choose how many of those messages to delete once I have read them. For example, I may wish to keep one of them and delete the other four. This would leave me with one message from Kate Williams which I can keep as long as I wish.

    Using the same example, on my new Treo 600 I am unable to do this as all 5 messages from Kate Williams are combined into a single "chat thread". The replies I send to these messages are also included in this "chat thread", which means I can no longer keep single messages from Kate Williams without keeping the entire "chat thread" (which is a mixture of all the messages she has ever sent me and all the replies I have sent back).

    As you can probably understand, this is rather frustrating as I don't want to be forced to keep every message I've ever received from Kate Williams and all the replies I've sent back, in order to keep just one or two of them.

    Please help!"

    Thanks
    Ads
    www.blackmanalishi.com

    "Man With Head In Clouds
    And Feet On Ground
    Mighty Big Man"
    - Anon.
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by BlackManalishi
    Hi all, (newbee to treocentral, please be gentle!)

    I asked the following question of Handspring recently and, surprisingly, they simply could not give me a straight answer (although I think they just didn't understand as their responses were all in broken english...). This is the first time I've experienced poor service from Handspring, and I hope it's not indicative of their move to the Pa1mOne umbrella... anyway, here goes:

    "On my old Treo 270 (and every other mobile phone I've owned prior to that), if I receive 5 messages from one person, e.g. "Kate Williams", there will be 5 separate messages from Kate Williams in the Inbox, and I can choose how many of those messages to delete once I have read them. For example, I may wish to keep one of them and delete the other four. This would leave me with one message from Kate Williams which I can keep as long as I wish.




    Using the same example, on my new Treo 600 I am unable to do this as all 5 messages from Kate Williams are combined into a single "chat thread". The replies I send to these messages are also included in this "chat thread", which means I can no longer keep single messages from Kate Williams without keeping the entire "chat thread" (which is a mixture of all the messages she has ever sent me and all the replies I have sent back).

    As you can probably understand, this is rather frustrating as I don't want to be forced to keep every message I've ever received from Kate Williams and all the replies I've sent back, in order to keep just one or two of them.

    Please help!"

    Thanks

    Hmmmm...I do understand your issue.

    My girlfriend sends me messages from her job's email and I receive them as separate messages ( not SMS messages). The Treo 600 gives me an option of forwarding only ...as it sees the message as non-SMS. When pressing "forwarding" I given a message screen to type whatever my reply will be. Each time she sends me a message, the above events occur. Now if she sends me a text message, when I hit reply ..the SMS interface comes up with a chat thread...this is normal.

    Obviously, your treo sees the message as an SMS and brings up the interface accordingly. The only way I can think to do is to send her your phone's email addess, not the phone number. Example: my phone's email address is XXXXXXXXX@sprintpcs.com. Try this and see how it comes up. Just my little thought in the matter.

    IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

    Unfortunately I don't think that will work, as my partner's Nokia phone (along with most people I know) is a year or two old and can only send SMS messages to mobile (cell) phone numbers, not email addresses.

    I think ultimately there is a fair difference between US and UK culture here anyway, as I've read a number of posts recently that suggest perhaps the US SMS craze is not as prevalent as the UK one - it's a way of life over here, more so than any other media messaging method (although photo messaging is very popular here now too) - and from what I've seen native SMS is only just being rolled out by Sprint across the US this week - is that correct?

    It seems really strange that Handspring have elected to significantly change something that worked fine and is the norm with all other phone manufacturers, without at least offering the option to turn it off! I'm convinced there must be a way round it, either by downloading a patch or perhaps using an alternative SMS programme (if there's a UK one compatible with Orange), but I don't really want to go there if I can avoid it...

    Are there are UK Treo 600 users out there who have experienced this issue??

    Thanks again,
    Ads
    www.blackmanalishi.com

    "Man With Head In Clouds
    And Feet On Ground
    Mighty Big Man"
    - Anon.
  4. #4  
    It is possible to delete individual messages within a chat thread by tapping on the name of the sender (Me or the other person) within the chat thread. This will highlight the individual message. Then you can press the menu option and select Delete.
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by Alli
    It is possible.
    Yay! This thread had me worried. I've only been able to play with Sprint's SMS client while at work (because the full service isn't available where I live) and I generally like the program. It would have sucked, though, if you couldn't edit the messages in a thread, so this is good to hear. Also: yay!
  6.    #6  
    It works!! So simple, and yet so impossible to work out by myself!!

    Thanks so much, you've made my day!!


    If only Handspring could have told me that...!
    Ads
    www.blackmanalishi.com

    "Man With Head In Clouds
    And Feet On Ground
    Mighty Big Man"
    - Anon.
  7. #7  
    Originally posted by Alli
    It is possible to delete individual messages within a chat thread by tapping on the name of the sender (Me or the other person) within the chat thread. This will highlight the individual message. Then you can press the menu option and select Delete.

    YA LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY!!!! GOOD JOB!!!!
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by BlackManalishi
    It works!! So simple, and yet so impossible to work out by myself!!

    Thanks so much, you've made my day!!


    If only Handspring could have told me that...!
    I understand your plight. Handsprings cant answer what they know nothing about. As best as I can tell, this new structure regarding SMS is within Sprints network. From what I have learned so long ago, the company that makes a phone can ONLY tell you what that phone is capable of doing. But if the carrier, (in this case Sprint), that sells that phone doesnt have the service implemented, then the phone cant do (at that time) what the manufacturer of it says it can and it would remain that way until the carrier made some changes.

    In short, check the boards as you have done or call Sprint. Talking with the manufacturer of the phone will only get you p!ssed off.

    And, BTW......I'm happy you're happy now.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  9. #9  
    check out the location of the original poster - he's in the UK, so his issue can't be related to sprint's network. it's a phone thing.

    And this thread was curious to me, since I'm sure that handspring thinks that the chat thread approach to SMSing is really cool and unique and such, and would never have thought that someone would have not liked it. (and, I didn't even know about the ability to delete individual messages within a thread log, so thanks to Alli for sending that clue along).
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by nrosser
    check out the location of the original poster - he's in the UK, so his issue can't be related to sprint's network. it's a phone thing.

    And this thread was curious to me, since I'm sure that handspring thinks that the chat thread approach to SMSing is really cool and unique and such, and would never have thought that someone would have not liked it. (and, I didn't even know about the ability to delete individual messages within a thread log, so thanks to Alli for sending that clue along).
    My wife's two year old Nokia has a chat thread feature, however you can turn it off.

    The HS developers that I met with in October in Paris openly admitted that one of the reasons for them to visit Europe was to get a better handle on the SMS culture here.

    Slightly OT. For all those people complaining and joking about the fact that Sprint is only now introducing SMS: I'd easily give up SMS if I'd get the Sprint CDMA data speed & a $10 unlimited data plan in return for it. You can't have it all
  11. #11  
    BlackManalishi,
    From what I can tell, it's not a Treo600SMS (I assume you mean the PDAapps application) issue, it's not a Sprint issue, it's the native/OE Handspring application. They even brag/tell you about it in the tips area of the OE SMS app (tip#6). So HS should have know about it.

    also, I guess HS is outsourcing their support (with the broken english comment)...I wish companies would quit outsourcing stuff.


    OE=Original Equipment
    OEM=Original Equipment Manufacturer
  12.    #12  
    Thanks to everyone for your comments - yes it's true, I'm a "UK poster", I'm assuming that relates to my message rather than a metric-sized advertising tool...

    Saying that, I think there may be some parallels between Sprint and Orange, the Telecom provider I bought my Treo through. The comms software that came with it has been "personalised" by Orange, and it may indeed be the network provider who know more about SMS than Handspring.

    Orange are the only network provider offering the Treo over here at the moment, so there are lots of unlocked versions on eBay as many people don't like Orange, or at least don't want to be limited to using their services. But at 120 for the phone plus a 34 per month contract (including 200 mins of calls to any network, 500 SMS, 20 photo messages and 3MB of GPRS) - I'm not complaining!

    Compared to the deal I had with my Treo 270 on O2 (another UK telecom provider, this time with the worst customer service on record - you have to pay 50p per min just to talk to them, and they don't respond to e-mails), I'm very happy. At least Orange has a freephone number for customer services...

    One final question - has anyone noticed that the screen on their Treo indents more on the right hand side than the left (by a few millimetres), and that the far right edge looks ever so slightly warped? I thought maybe it was a design flaw, or that I was just being really anal, but I ordered a replacement to be safe and it was exactly the same...

    I'm going into an Orange shop tomorrow to see a demonstrator model just to be sure...

    Oh, and if you're into rock music from British bands (a la Led Zep and Bad Company) - check out the site below!! We're looking for the opportunity to skip across the pond too, so if any of you happen to own great venues or record labels, be sure to drop me a line!!

    Keep rockin'!
    Ads
    www.blackmanalishi.com

    "Man With Head In Clouds
    And Feet On Ground
    Mighty Big Man"
    - Anon.
  13.    #13  
    --------------
    BlackManalishi,
    From what I can tell, it's not a Treo600SMS (I assume you mean the PDAapps application) issue, it's not a Sprint issue, it's the native/OE Handspring application. They even brag/tell you about it in the tips area of the OE SMS app (tip#6). So HS should have know about it.

    also, I guess HS is outsourcing their support (with the broken english comment)...I wish companies would quit outsourcing stuff.


    OE=Original Equipment
    OEM=Original Equipment Manufacturer
    ----------


    Saw this after I posted my reply to everyone else - I agree on the outsourcing comment totally, but I think they've been doing it for some time. I got into an email conversation a year ago with a HS customer service rep and he said he was based in Scandinavia!

    The credit card company I work for has outsourced telemarketing to India (like many others) - they even get their reps to watch soap operas (Regular drama programmes on TV - what do you call those? ) and sit-coms from the country they're calling as part of their education, so they can build "rapport" with the customer. The ironic thing is they actually have a better grasp of english than the majority of people we employ in the UK, as they make more of an effort to learn the language properly!

    Ads
    www.blackmanalishi.com

    "Man With Head In Clouds
    And Feet On Ground
    Mighty Big Man"
    - Anon.
  14. #14  
    One final question - has anyone noticed that the screen on their Treo indents more on the right hand side than the left (by a few millimetres), and that the far right edge looks ever so slightly warped? I thought maybe it was a design flaw, or that I was just being really anal, but I ordered a replacement to be safe and it was exactly the same...
    Handspring address this design in the FAQ section on their web site in the Treo600 FAQ area. THey said it was done to save space. If you get some time, there are some good reads there too.
    Matt

    You don't happen to know the Green Manalishi?



    Judas Priest fan huhn....
  15.    #15  
    ------------------------
    Handspring address this design in the FAQ section on their web site in the Treo600 FAQ area. THey said it was done to save space. If you get some time, there are some good reads there too.
    Matt

    You don't happen to know the Green Manalishi?



    Judas Priest fan huhn....
    ------------------

    I certainly do know the Green Manalishi! If you check out our website (http://www.blackmanalishi.com) you'll notice that's where our band name originates from...

    Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, 1970 - legendary! So much better than all their 80's cr@p !

    Keep rockin'!
    Ads
    www.blackmanalishi.com

    "Man With Head In Clouds
    And Feet On Ground
    Mighty Big Man"
    - Anon.
  16. #16  
    You'll make Nugent proud...
    The Hendrix cover is pretty good too.

    Nothings is a great song, that's 100% your huh..Good deal!
    Grand Funkish to me for some reason, I like it.
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    You'll make Nugent proud...
    The Hendrix cover is pretty good too.

    Nothings is a great song, that's 100% your huh..Good deal!
    Grand Funkish to me for some reason, I like it.
    I agree with Music Critic Burkhardi. That makes 4 thumbs up. You can hear the difference between this and all the knockoff contemporary bands that are so popular today!
  18.    #18  
    Wow, thanks for the praise guys, much appreciated!

    We were really chuffed with the Cutting Edge review (on our News page), especially as it compared us to Bad Company (Nothings), who are one of our major influences.

    I've been told I sound like Paul Rodgers, which is just about the highest compliment I could get, and we've had a link to our version of Seagull put on www.allrightnow.com, which is the official Free/Bad Co/Rodgers fan site run by a lovely lady by the name of Lucy Piller, who lives in the US.

    We've just finished recording a whole lot more material, which our webmaster will be adding on shortly, and we're due to play at the world famous Cavern club in Liverpool in a couple of weeks.

    Maybe one day they'll say "remember the Cavern Club? That's where Black Manalishi used to play in their early days, before they became the biggest damn band in the world..."



    PS - oh, I downloaded LightWav (from www.ToySoft.ca -fantastic!) the other day, and now have Stranglehold as my ringtone.... passers-by don't know what to think when I get a call! I'd thoroughly recommend it to everyone (LightWav that is), and I've already been sent 3 updates for free since purchasing it.
    Ads
    www.blackmanalishi.com

    "Man With Head In Clouds
    And Feet On Ground
    Mighty Big Man"
    - Anon.
  19. #19  
    Man, Bad Company does hit the nail on the head better (as far as y'alls style) IMHO.

    Best of luck to ya...

    I'll check out LightWave too. Matt
  20. #20  
    And LightWav will just get better and better. Danny (the developer) just received his own Treo 600 today so he no longer has to rely on anyone else beta testing. I figure he'll be playing with it pretty much round the clock putting it through its paces.

Posting Permissions