1.    #1  
    Here's my set up.

I have one PC with a Linksys wireless router. I have a second computer (laptop) with a wireless pc card hooked into the router. I am trying to access the second computer (laptop) via Palm VNC and can not. If I try to access the PC directly it works perfectly. However, for the life of me I can not seem to be able to access the laptop. I have forwarded the necessary port to the laptop but it just won't work.

I have tried updating the router's firmware, the wireless card's firmware, forwarding all ports to the laptop, but nothing works.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    How are you able to differentiate between the two computers? When you connect you should be using the ip of the router, as that's the only thing that should be visable to the internet.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Also, the default for the "Listening" is on port 5900. If you want to access a VNC server through a router, you will need to alter the configuration of the host to listen on a static port (0-4) and then map the corresponding port in the router to your private IP address (5900, 5901, 5902...).

VNC is a nifty program but VERY insecure. I would recommend getting a router that does VPN authentication and tunneling through first, then making your VNC connection.
  4.    #4  
    Tekara,

I have port 5900 on the router forwarded to the IP address of the computer I want to connect to (the laptop.)

I am connecting to the IP address of the router.

KKenna,

I'm having a little trouble understanding what you mean. Could you explain it to me further...........
    okay so your saying that when you change the port forwarding to the pc and then try to establish a connection it works fine, but when you set the port fowarding to the laptop you have problems.

okay then, are you running any firewall software on your laptop? howabout a wireless card or some other sort of networking component? howabout internet connection sharing?

Just try and think of all the little things that could be causing problems.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

6.    #6  
    When I forward the port (5900) to the IP address of the P.C. (which has the router directly wired to it) and try to log in it works perfectly.

But when I forward the port (5900) to the IP address of the laptop, which is connected to the router via a wireless PC card it won't work.

I have my firewall software disabled.

I do have a wireless card installed on the laptop. This is how it connects to the Internet (to the router which has the cable modem coming in to it.)

I don't know what Internet Connection Sharring is.
    internet connection sharing is a windows application that allows you to connect a computer to the internet through another computer. I doubt your using it, you've no need of it, so it's a non-issue.

so in keeping with the possible simple solutions:

is there anyway to connect the laptop to the router with a cable? it might be possible that the router has some issues with port fowarding to a wireless client.

also! if you can make a hard connection, try and connect your laptop straight to the modem. This way we can tell if it's the laptop or something in between.

Are both the wired PC and the wireless PC on the same subnet? Assuming they are you should be able to forward VNC ports to each machine. Remember that the vncserver on each machine has to be listening to the specific port that you're requesting - if you're running more then one server you can't have them all running on 5900. Do yourself a favor, as was said above - get a VPN router, or run VNC over an SSH tunnel.

Dunc
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Dunc
    Are both the wired PC and the wireless PC on the same subnet? Assuming they are you should be able to forward VNC ports to each machine. Remember that the vncserver on each machine has to be listening to the specific port that you're requesting - if you're running more then one server you can't have them all running on 5900. Do yourself a favor, as was said above - get a VPN router, or run VNC over an SSH tunnel.

Dunc
    Could you please explain what an SSH tunnel is?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    you might just need the PALMOS version of vnc. go to the vnc homepage and there it has an option for "other platforms". i remember a while back i tried connecting to my computer using the regular vnc program installed on my computer instead of installing the palmos one. perhaps remove the old vnc client and install the new palmos one on your desktop? it looks a little bit differnt (doesn't have the option to change the 5900 port other than 5902 or 5906, etc, can't change it to 5236 or something) but my palm connects to it. last but not least make sure you are typing in the right ip and password
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by sledgie
    you might just need the PALMOS version of vnc. go to the vnc homepage and there it has an option for "other platforms". i remember a while back i tried connecting to my computer using the regular vnc program installed on my computer instead of installing the palmos one. perhaps remove the old vnc client and install the new palmos one on your desktop? it looks a little bit differnt (doesn't have the option to change the 5900 port other than 5902 or 5906, etc, can't change it to 5236 or something) but my palm connects to it. last but not least make sure you are typing in the right ip and password
    I'm already using the Palm version of VNC. I don't think it's the VNC version because I'm able to connect to it when it's running on the P.C. It's the laptop that I can't connect to at all.
  12.    #12  
    Well problem solved. Sort of.

I downloaded a demo of Win Hand and it worked on the first try. It's not free like VNC but it WORKS! So I'm just going to purchase it. I love what these apps can do.