1.    #1  
    I wanted to make my Treo into a car speaker phone and I found it to be pretty easy.

First I went down to Radio Shack and purchased the stereo adapter for the head phone port on the Treo 600 that allows for regular size inputs. I also purchased a simple universal phone mount for my car. This one has some hooks that go into your air conditioning vents in the car. It works well with the treo's size.

Just so you know you have to cut down the Radio shack stereo adapter by removing some of the plastic near where the adapter plugs into the Treo or you won't make a good connection. I did this with a razor blade.

I already had a tape cassette that plays from external sources into the car stereo but they can be purchased at most radio shack stores for $5.00

Plug everything in and your car speakers will output the incoming callers voice and you have a hands free speaker phone for your car. Works better than I thought it would. If you are listening to music or anything it will pause and you can take your call.
    Cool. Are you using a raido sender, or do you have an 1/8" input jack to your car stereo? Since the Treo is outputting the caller's voice as if it were a headset attatched and it's not in "speakerphone" mode, how well is the mic picking up your voice? can the caller clearly hear your voice. Does the caller hear an echo of their own voice form the audio coming thorugh your car speakers?
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
  3.    #3  
    I have a cassette tape that plugs into the adapter in the treo's output. I do need the radio shack adapter to make it work.

I just got it working today. My wife said she could hear her voice a little bit which is suprising to me because I had it cranked up loud. I expected for her to say it was much worse. She did say I sounded like I was using a speaker phone but I can live with that because I was driving and I can hear her without trouble.

The treo is about 3 feet away from me when I am talking...
    Thanks DrReaper. It's a cool idea and i would like to try it out. Plus my stereo has an 1/8" input, so i won't have to use the tape adapter.
    There have been several other threads on this. However be warned that you may not get your 1/8 in on your stereo to work.

My Blaupunt player has line ins that I put a 1/8 adapter on and the impedence is too high. So it act likes the headset (with mic) and thus doesn't see the speakers. There are ways around this too, but I just wanted to warn you this may not work 'out of the box'.
    Crap! rf_homer- how frequently does this occur and what are some quick ways around? I see you are an RF man- I am an electircal engineer, so you can keep the explanation technical if you need to... but of course the easiest answer is always best.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by rf_homer
    There have been several other threads on this. However be warned that you may not get your 1/8 in on your stereo to work.

My Blaupunt player has line ins that I put a 1/8 adapter on and the impedence is too high. So it act likes the headset (with mic) and thus doesn't see the speakers. There are ways around this too, but I just wanted to warn you this may not work 'out of the box'.
    I have an AIWA which has a 3.5mm input, same problem, the Treo doesn't see the speakers.
    MoseGiganticus - The answer is easy.

The Treo looks at the impedance on one of the channels (don't remember which) to figure out if it is a 'phone plug with mic' or if it is a 'headset'.

The problem is that it is looking for a low impedance for it to be a headset. So if the impedance is high (around 1k ohm) it assumes that channel has the microphone and thus it is not a speaker. It then wont react the way you want it to.

There have been other messages early on to this, but unfortunately the workarounds all feel like a hack. You can Yadapter and put a pair of headphones in parallel or you could put a resistor in series with your plug on the way to the stereo.

I havn't played with this yet with my Blaupunkt to see what the sound quality is like, but it will work.

Here is another thread on the issue:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...+speakers.html

Good luck. (btw, I havn't bothered because I either use the headset or the built in speakerphone with no issues)
    rfhomer-

Thanks for the reply. I figured that was the situation. I'm glad you were able to find an approximate R value to get teh right impedence... I wasn't sure what order of magnitude we would be talking about.

Something i was thnking about when dealing with this impedance issue. Radio Shack make a "headphone extension" cable that has "volume control knob" built in. Check it out:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=42%2D2559

This "volume control knob" is just a resistor pot, so if you plug a cable from your T600 into this, then run this into your car stereo, you should be able to adjust the pot until you get the impedence that the T600 is lookng for. Basically, if you have everything plugged in and the sound is still coming out of the speaker, just turn the knob (there-by increasing the impedence) until the sound starts coming through the stereo. I would imagine that this would be a good way to match impedences too, so that you will get maximum volume output from your T600.

I haven't tried this, so I'm not sure, but i think it should work for you people who are having probelms. It's a $6 fix (if it does work).
    I guess the only wild card is that I don't know what the resistance range of the pot is, but I could figure that out if someone wanted to know (just test it with my voltmeter).
    I was able to successfully use the Treo as a handsfree speaker phone via the product discussed here
    Treo Moblog: http://nudle.textamerica.com
    I don't think it was mentioned before, but many of the in-dash cd-receivers have a cd-changer input in the BACK of the unit that I think could also be used to hook up the phone. Don't know what the impedance on the input is (and of the adapter/s one would need), but I will give it a shot.
    Any comments, anybody tried already?
    EarlyMarch -

I've got a CD changer input adapter for my truck's stereo on order from RCAInput.com. It should arrive sometime next week. I'll test it out in both phone & MP3 mode. If it works both ways (as my iRock does now), then great. If not, there's a switched adapter harness that newtreouser is selling that I'll try.

I'll keep the group posted...
  13.    #13  
    I found a bug in my setup... It seems as soon as you plug in the converter into the Treo 600 it no longer plays through its speaker. The problem is now you won't hear it ring unless you are playing music through it. This is not a problem at night but during the day you can't be looking at the screen all the time and driving.

If I am going to listen to me stereo and drive I need to unplug the converter. Then when a call comes in I have to pull over and plug in the converter (unless I am at a red light or something) and then resume my driving.

I won't mind changing car stereos if someone else has overcome this problem. I am always driving and getting cell phone calls and I don't want to be distracted.
    Originally posted by MoseGiganticus
    Something i was thnking about when dealing with this impedance issue. Radio Shack make a "headphone extension" cable that has "volume control knob" built in. Check it out:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...%5Fid=42%2D2559
    I tried this cabe and it worked great. Much easier than soldering, although I'm considering soldering a 3/32" tip onit so that I don't have two adapters hanging from the treo.

Thans for the tip,
    TechDude
    Dr. Reaper, you inspired me! I wanted hands-free at a low price without cosmetic damage to the car's interior, and the radio shack airvent mount is perfect, along with a cassette adaptor and 2.5-3.5mm jack adaptor, the whole thing cost me $39, and is 100 times better than using a headset! I find that callers hear their voice echoing if i have the phone on speaker, and they hear me less well if the phone isnt on speaker. I am going to use the non-speaker setting for now, as i think callers can turn up their volume if i am coming thru quietly, but the echo would be unavoidable.

Thanks again for posting your low-cost hands-free solution.