Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi. I've decided to throw my own app into the current Treo 600 utility arena free-for-all. It tries to combine some of the features of Vol Rocker, Treo Butler, etc, plus it has some new ones (AND it's free!):

• Flash LED on voicemail arrival and sms arrival (fast blinking green, solid orange, or solid red)
    • Day/Night Light Modes -- Change LCD brightness automatically during the day at times you specify.
    • Turn off keyboard back light during the day mode.
    • Keep keyboard backlit with no timeout during night.
    • Keyguard on incoming phone call (keyboard disabled, but other buttons like 5-way, hard buttons, and volume rocker are
      still enabled)
    • Volume rockers can emulate page up/ page down . Not as smart as Volume rocker, but serves my needs for e-books.
    • Option to turn phone on automatically after a soft-reset.

All these options can be individually enabled, so it should co-exist with other helper utilities out there. It works fine with KeyCaps 600

I mainly wrote this solve my needs, and it's been tested on a Sprint CDMA treo 600. The LED was really needed since I don't have treo butler or treo alert manager, and the lcd brightness was inspired by mlights (a ~$10 app!). I haven't seen the continuous keyboard backlit at night anywhere, but it was essential for me. Keyguard for a piel frama case.

Trying to keep total treo ownership costs down

Let me know if you find any bugs. If there's enough interest I might keep developing the app.

Best regards,

veezer
  2.    #2  
    Sorry, forgot to attach the prc. (New version 0.2)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by veezer; 02/13/2004 at 06:00 PM.
    Excellent application. Thanks!
    Looks good so far...

I'm trying it on my GSM, and will let you know if I encounter any bugs, etc.

How about adding a "screen-off/on during phone-call" option?
    Nice job man!!

One thing I'd like to see. An automatic means of turning the radio (phone) off and on a specific times. Like if I want it to shut off at 8pm and back on at 7 am for example.

Can ya do that? Can it be done?

This is great without it but hey it never hurts to ask.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    well, where to start.

Flash LED on voicemail arrival and sms arrival (fast blinking green, solid orange, or solid red)
    Nice easy to set interface.

Day/Night Light Modes -- Change LCD brightness automatically during the day at times you specify.
    This works out great. Currently I have been using profiles to change the brightness from Day to Night, but this does it automaticly with the time. Nice job!

Turn off keyboard back light during the day mode.
    Does the same thing a mLight's but for $10 less. Also nice job.

Keep keyboard backlit with no timeout during night.
    Been waiting for an application that'll do this ever since I got my Treo! Super Job!

Keyguard on incoming phone call (keyboard disabled, but other buttons like 5-way, hard buttons, and volume rocker are
    still enabled).
    I'm currently using an application called keepoff for this feature, but it does a little more. It disables all keys (until a press of the screen or an enabled button)so they don't accidently get pushed while in a case or pocket when the screen comes on (like a SMS, or Snapper checking for mail), not just for incoming calls (but it works for that too). He (jaslo) has added an option to enable the app keys and center d-pad to answer calls, but I still want a seperate options for all buttons. Phone, Calendar, Mail, Power D-Pad, and d_pad center. So maybe you could add an option to disable these keys and have it work for all events, not just incoming calls.

Volume rockers can emulate page up/ page down . Not as smart as Volume rocker, but serves my needs for e-books.
    Right, but VolKeys already does this and more (not trying to knock your app)

The vol keys perform no action while HOME or in blazer.

Option to turn phone on automatically after a soft-reset.
    This sends my Sprint CDMA Treo in a never ending loop.

Nice job so far, the LED and Light modes work great!

I'd hope you kept developing this app!

digidep
    Yep I got the soft reset loop too. That'll need to be fixed eh?

The rest of it works good though and the interface is very easy on the eye.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Received an SMS, Orange LED came on (because I'd checked that option in TreoAllegro), but after reading & deleting SMS, Orange LED stays on. Tried changing to "Fast Green" and receiving another SMS, but Orange LED is still on.

Soft reset turned the Orange LED back to normal green.
    Set option to "Fast Green", and LED seems to funtion as desired.

Cool App.
    i am not using the keyguard feature. only the day/night brightness and backlight feature. However, when i turn the stock keyguard on and then try to turn it off, i get a reset

not sure why
    So how does one get out of the soft reset loop problem? I have GSM with 2.09 and checked the Orange LED on VM and got the soft reset loop problem. I can live without the VM LED but want to know how to end this endless loop. Thanks.
    hard reset...

hold down top power button and push reset, then when asked push up to delete data.

digidep

ps hope you have a backup
    Suggestion: An option to keep the k/b backlight on with a user specified timeout during night mode AND an option to keep the keyboard backlight on continuously (or user defined) while in the cradle or charger.

Can this be added? Would even pay!!!

L
    Lee Ladisky
    when i get a voicemail, turns orange but turns back to default color before i listen to it.
    veezer:

I just installed it and it'working fine! On A GSM t600.

Except that i don't have the vm-indication(not your fault; my network doesn't support it, I'm on KPN, the Netherlands)

I was just wondering i it's possible to add a feature to use the led to indicate missed calls. I often have meetings, and i don't turn the wireless mode off, i just silence the treo, and disable the vibe. It would be nice to know if i missed any calls, without turning on the screen.

BTW Also very practical at the movies! Now I have to shield my screen with my coat, or whatever is available, to avoid bothering other people when i want to see if i missed calls!

Let me (us) know!
    any way to have an option to keep the keyboard backlit while on a phonecall and go back to the regular time-out option when the call is ended?
  16.    #16  
    Great feedback, thank people!

I'm not sure why a soft-reset loop should happen, but it may be possible to break out of it using a "warm-reset" -- press the reset button while holding down the up arrow. This does a normal soft-reset, except it does not run any applications' custom reset handlers. I'll take a look into it, and see if there's any way I can detect a loop like that in the application and disable it.

The auto-turn-on/off at specified times should be easy to add. let me take a look at it.

I'm trying to figure out a way to turn off the screen during the call, but I'm not sure how to do it. simply enqueuing a sleep request turns off the device, but also cuts out the volume of the call. wish i knew how phoneguard worked

Let's see if I can get an update to ver0.2 out in the next few days...

Thanks for the help everyone. glad people are finding it useful!
    these look like a superb set of features - you really should get it up on palmgear when you're ready.
    Originally posted by veezer

I'm trying to figure out a way to turn off the screen during the call, but I'm not sure how to do it. simply enqueuing a sleep request turns off the device, but also cuts out the volume of the call. wish i knew how phoneguard worked
    mblank (developer of chatter & sandman) said that sandman (also freeware) was a few lines of code - maybe he can help you out.

Haven't tried your app yet but looks very promising.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Veezer:

I've been testing all day(don't tell my boss!)
    And I have just one issue: when i receive sms, the led starts it's work just fine. But when I read the sms, the led doesn't go back to normal! I can only reset the led by resetting the treo. I also tried the different combos of red, flashing and orange, but it just stays the same untill I receive a new message. Then it does what i told it to do in the allegro-prefs. And it doesn't stop. Any thoughts?

FYI I'm on a GSM T600 in the Netherlands.
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by stynos
    Veezer:

I've been testing all day(don't tell my boss!)
    And I have just one issue: when i receive sms, the led starts it's work just fine. But when I read the sms, the led doesn't go back to normal!
    FYI I'm on a GSM T600 in the Netherlands.
    Ah, that's interesting. The way the SMS alert knows to turn off is through the attention dialog (i.e, that alert popup asking you to ignore, snooze, goto, etc). When you dismiss it, TreoAllegro gets notified and it turns off the led. At least that's how it works on the Sprint. Are you using a different SMS applications than the standard one? Or maybe a different alert manager like treo alert manager?

I'll try to think about this one some more, and see if i can think of other causes for this.

Thanks for putting it through the paces!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast