Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/p900/mai...?regionCode=us

Let's compare some specs, shall we?
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Phone Dimensions

115 x 57 x 24 mm (4.5 x 2.25 x 0.95 inches)

Weight

150 g (5.3 oz)

Color

Urban Grey

Screen

65,536 color TFT screen

208 x 208 pixels (closed flip)

208 x 320 pixels (open flip)

Camera takes pictures and video. Yes It Is Feb '04, not Feb '06, Palm!!! Palm, can you hear me?
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Upgrade Your Handset to a P900

Smart, elegant, powerful First impression: the sleek and sophisticated design. Look further, and you will find a lot of power and smarts underneath that handsome exterior. Video camera, PDA functionality, a color LCD 65,536 display, great gaming...the P900 is the perfect work companion. And it's not bad for play either. A serious organizer Stay on the move, yet stay synchronized. The P900 shows that mobile work is not a myth. Send and receive e-mails, download and share files and keep your calendar updated - just use your P900 like a PDA while you're on the move. Then connect via Bluetooth™ or Infrared to synchronize the data with your PC. The P900 - an image worker Still pictures and video - the P900 does both. Share your video clips and images with your friends via e-mail or MMS. Or just save them in your P900 - with up to 16MB of user memory plus the 32MB Memory Stick Duo storage media, you've got plenty of space. Your imagery and your imagination: the P900 is a great tool for making the most of both. Not forgetting the fun Think of mobile entertainment, and you think of games. The P900 is all set to give you a new gaming experience over and over again. And when a game no longer is a challenge to beat, just download a new one. To bring even more entertainment punch to your phone, the P900 comes with an MP3 audio player and polyphonic ringtones. And as the P900 runs on Symbian OS, it is open for third party applications. Simply install and run the programs that fit your needs. Network: GSM 1900, GSM 900, GSM 1800 Available Colors: Urban Grey Size: 115 x 57 x 24 mm (4.5 x 2.25 x 0.95 inches)

Add to Basket - Urban Grey P900

Explore the P900...

The Sony Ericsson P900 is a triple band mobile phone, an MP3 audio and MPEG4 video player, an advanced handheld device and a mobile video and digital camera. Wherever you are, you have phone and e-mail access to your network of contacts. Your calendar is updated. And you have every mobile messaging possibility available. Send pictures taken with the P900 built-in camera in seconds. Record a short video clip and e-mail it straight away. Text input is easy. P900 has an on-screen keyboard and a large touchscreen for your comfort. Discover the multi-tasking P900 for yourself. And let rocking MP3 music Ringtones impress others.
    The Sony Ericsson P900 is easy experience sharing. We call it QuickShare™.

Features

Connectivity:

Bluetooth™ wireless technology
    GPRS
    High Speed Data
    Infrared port
    Memory Stick Duo™

RS232 cable support

Sync ML

Synchronization Apple®

Synchronization PC

USB support

Controls:

Internet key

Jog dial

Keypad lock

Menu shortcuts

Option key

Redial

SIM card lock

Sleep mode

Speed dialing

Status view

Touchscreen

Vibrating alert

Voice control

Voice mail

Entertainment:

Content online

Games download

Games embedded

Java

Melody composer

MP3 Audio

MP3 ringtones

MPEG4 Video

Polyphonic sound 24 voices

Start-up/Shutdown shows

Video player

Imaging/Messaging:

208x320 pixel display

Backlight display

Camera VGA

Color LCD 65,536

CommuniCorder

EMS (Enhanced Messaging)

Handwriting recognition

Instant messaging

MMS (Multimedia Messaging)

MMS templates

Picture editor

Picture gallery

Picture phonebook

Picture wallpaper

Predictive text input

QuickShare™

Screensaver

SMS long (Text Messaging)

Sound recorder

Themes display

Video clip

Video streaming

Viewfinder display

Features

Internet:

cHTML

Modem

M-Services

OTA settings

WAP 2.0

WTLS

Organizer:

Alarm clock

Business card exchange

Calculator

Calendar

Call list

Clock

Conference calls

Contacts

Memory dynamic

Phone book

PIM sync

Speaker phone

Tasks

Networks:*

GSM 900/1800/1900

Available color:

Urban Grey

Accessories:

Advanced Car Handsfree HCA-20

Advanced Music Mute HCE-16

Bluetooth&trade Car Handsfree HCB-30

Bluetooth™ Headset HBH-35

Bluetooth™ Handsfree HBH-65

Car Holder HCH-30

Car Holder HCH-37

Cigarette Lighter Adapter CLA-11

Desk Speaker Stand DSS-20

Executive Case IEC-20

External Handset HCE-10

Micro Travel Charger CMT-10

Portable Handsfree HPB-20

Standard Battery BST-15

Standard Charger CST-13

System Cable HCC-20

System Cable HCC-30

USB Cable DCU-11

Batteries:

Standard Battery BST-15

Talk time (up to):

16 hours

Standby time (up to):

20 days

Additional information:

Internal free user memory 16 MB

Memory Stick Duo™ in kit 32 MB

Type of display:

¼ 65,536 colors VGA touchscreen

Screen size:

40 x 40 mm (closed flip)

40 x 61 mm (open flip)

Screen resolution

208 x 208 pixels (closed flip)

208 x 320 pixels (open flip)
    Anyone tried the Eggo brand syrup? Mmmm good.
    Mgauss,

So what are you waiting for? Nobody is stopping you here. You were never happy with your Treo 600 from Day1

By the way, where the cr@p is the thumboard on that P900? Or is that what's holding you up.

I'd buy that thing in a heartbeat if it has one
    Ed
    Its a simple concept I don't know why all the "Treo Killer" posters cannot grasp it: No Keyboard, No Comparison!
    Originally posted by markboy08
    No Keyboard, No Comparison!
    I happen to agree with you and I bought a Treo 600 while in the shop to upgrade my P800 to a P900 -- for me there was no competition: Now I have my Treo, I do 90% of my work on my Treo when travelling, leaving my notebook feeling rather left out!

However, quite a lot of people feel differently. For them, the P900 is a valid competitor to the Treo 600, keyboard or not. That's the nature of the SmartPhone industry right now -- we have enough differences in technology to allow us all to find the right device for our needs.

The P900 is a nice phone and does have some advantages over the Treo 600. One I do miss is the Bluetooth... Syncing and acting as a modem over Bluetooth makes your life a lot easier, not to mention the use of a BT headset.

Still, would I consider a P900 and upgrade? No.
    Can I understand that for MGauss it is? Yes.
    What companies are carrying the P900 in stock?
    > What companies are carrying the P900 in stock?

Probably the same ones that are carrying the T-Mobile TREO 600.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    With all due respect, really I am serious, with iR keyboards avail for the various phones (palm os based) the thumbboard is not a crucial as it once was. In this case however since there is not an external keyboard that I know of...I cant see spending the money for a T900
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    With all due respect, really I am serious, with iR keyboards avail for the various phones (palm os based) the thumbboard is not a crucial as it once was.
    True, but I still don't see myself whipping out an IR keyboard while waiting in line to get into a movie, sporting event, etc. Nor would I want to have to carry an IR keyboard with me - I use the thumbboard all day long, which means I'd have to have the IR keyboard with me all the time to achieve the same functionality. You start whipping keyboards out and they're going to cast you in the next Revenge of the Nerds movie installment.

Dunc
    BTW, just how many Symbian OS apps are available, compared to Palm OS?

And the tech specs say web access at 28.8. I think my (CDMA) Treo is a heck of a lot faster than that.

16MB ram vs. 32 forthe Treo

Crummy, espensive Memory Stick technology, and the specs say "32MB memory stick." I hope it's not limited to that.

It appears to me that the Sony is perhaps a better phone, for people who primarily want a phone with a bit of PDA functionality thrown in. But I think the Treo appears to be a heck of lot more powerful PDA/web/email tool.

You pays yer money and makes yer choices. I've yet to see a product, in ANY category, that is perfect, and meets everyone's needs. That's why we have choices, and that's one thing that makes the free world great.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 02/04/2004 at 09:34 AM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I love the Treo built-in keyboard. It's great for SMSing around. I send these full-sentence, punctuated messages to my non-Treo using wife. She sends back things like "ok", "gr8", "l8er", etc.

Also, her Nokia smartphone is a Symbian OS model and the available app choices are pretty slim-pickin's fer now.

We don't need no stinkin' IR keyboards
    EdK
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
    > ...Also, her Nokia smartphone is a Symbian OS model and the
    > available app choices are pretty slim-pickin's fer now...

A statement such as this, of course, begs the question(s):

== What apps does this person believe are missing?

or perhaps more to the point:

== How does this person use her phone such that more apps
    == are necessary?

or:

== Does this person need any more apps than this person
    == already has?

(studies show that people use text messaging, calendar, calculator, organizer, email (a little), and web browsing (a little), and pretty much nothing else, in general.

I think Symbian can handle those.)
    (studies show that people use text messaging, calendar, calculator, organizer, email (a little), and web browsing (a little), and pretty much nothing else, in general.

Convenient of the studies to show people only use the apps that are currently available . . .

Kind of like when the Ford Model T came out. "You can get any color you want as long as it's black."
    I got that email too. I'll wait for EDGE, GSM 850, improved PIM sync conduits, and a more mature selection of apps
    NO KEYBOARD = NO SELL!!
    Those of us that use the Treo as a business class device with full MS Exchange support know that sending 3 letter responses to clients wont cut it.

IR keyboard.....get real....I need to respond to clients needs no matter where I am....the thumb board is where its at......thats the freaking reason that the blackberry is such a success.

I can see me responding to a client on that Sony Phone.

"Thx 4 $$$

u rock

l8r"

Silly trolls
    I feel compelled to comment. I've had a Treo 600 for the past 3 months. It's great and I don't plan on getting rid of it. However, I just got a P900. I don't know if I'll move to it most of the time or not yet, but it really depends on what you use the device primarily for.

If you use the keyboard all day long, great the Treo it is. No other device on the market has entry as far as I'm concerned. However, I use it primarily for phone, web, and data lookup. I retrieve email and messages, but don't spend a lot of time time sending them.

I do however use a laptop (PowerBook G4 15" AL) alot. Having Bluetooth for synch, data transer, and wireles modem is a huge advantage. Yes I can do those with a cable on the Treo (although any data modem usage requires me to buy software and I don't really know how well it works yet). When you're waiting 10 minutes before boarding a flight after already going through the security process, a bluetooth equipped phone blows the Treo away.

For phone functions also, you get cool MP3 ringtones (yes, I have Lightwav for the Treo but with it built-in the implementation is much better), increasing ring option, automatic photo id if the contact as a photo attached (you can only do this with favorites in the Treo), and of course the cool bluetooth headset option.

The Treo of course has the best lookup with the fast keyboard search, but the P900 has voice tags also.

I love my Treo, but don't sell the P900 short it is pretty attractive for many people. Think about this, SE sold about 1 million P800s (the previous version) in about a year by most accounts. At Handspring's current rate how long do you think it will take to sell 1 million Treos? A very long, long time uless they get their act together. Outside of the U.S. they are somewhat of a non-player. The P800 sold very well world-wide. The P900 might do better. Lack of bluetooth in a high-end device (my biggest problem with the Treo) is a factor outside of the U.S.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...Also, her Nokia smartphone is a Symbian OS model and the
    > available app choices are pretty slim-pickin's fer now...

A statement such as this, of course, begs the question(s):

== What apps does this person believe are missing?

or perhaps more to the point:

== How does this person use her phone such that more apps
    == are necessary?

or:

== Does this person need any more apps than this person
    == already has?

Of course Symbian can handle those. I would hope so. For all I know, Symbian is the greatest OS ever. I said "...slim-pickin's fer now". I'm sorry if you missed my qualifier. "This person" wants more apps than are currently available.

Here's an example from one of our family's hobbies: astronomy star-charting programs. The Palm OS world has plenty of astronomers writing apps for this. I found one Symbian app. How about music composition and theory? How about...? You get the point. As more Symbian devices are sold, more app development should follow.

EdK

Studies show that most people don't use their imagination nearly enough
    Handspring Treo 600 R.I.P. ...
    Insurance replacement Sprint Treo 755P ...
    16GB iPhone 3G
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast