Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Posted by Mr_A in reference to cell phone picture/video quality

Lets face it, they are all at a level of quality which makes them suitable for, well very little - which is why we have lots of people making and selling cameras.

Still or movie, what comes out of these devices has no lasting value no matter how you look at it. If you don't believe then try watching someones expression when they are shown the image that you put before them!
    I agree about still pictures, but taking a video on your phone is just cool! How many people that have the expression your speaking about over a still picture would do the same thing if you showed them a video? I think the difference would be staggering.

Also, video from even a 3Megapixel Canon is not all that great. Mine has three modes: 160x120, 320x240, and 640x480.

It seems feasible to me that the video taken from this phone could be just as good as the video taken on the Canon camera at the same resolution.

Sure if you put it on a PC it looks like crap, but that's not the point. The point is to be able to take a video at any moment without having to lug another device around and then be able to show that video to someone 10 minutes later if you wanted to without ever being next to a PC.

You could say the same about a picture, but with still pictures you usually take them expecting a certain level of detail which it doesn't even get close to achieving on my Treo 600.

Now my girlfriend's Samsung VGA1000 (I think that's the model) is a different story. It has brightness, contrast, white balance, effects and everything. It's possible to tweak the camer a little and come out with decent pics in almost any lighting. From what I can tell there are similar settings for the P900, so who knows.

NOTE: I have been unable to find any documentation on what the video resolution is for the P900's video but still picture resolutions are 640x480, 320x240, and 160x120 which are the same resolutions I have for my digital camera video.

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 02/05/2004 at 01:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Maybe I'm being impatient...the point here is not that the P900 (which is now officially sold in the US) is perfect.

Its 2 weaknesses are no keyboard and symbian.

A competent engineer in the Sony/Sony Ericsson team could change those two issues quickly!

My point is that is seems that the Treo 600 plan is not to come up with improvements for at least a year.

No question the P900 is two years ahead of the Treo in technology. They missed the point in the operating system and in the keyboard, but they did 99% of the work!

And you know, the amazing thing is that we are 1 model away from when the ballpoint pen stopped leaking.

If you add hi res, BT, wifi and recorder and a decent camera to a 600 you'd have an incredible device! The point is the P900, which missed the point, has all those!

Donna can you hear me? Oh, sorry, you are now a millionaire with no stress sipping champagne in the South of France.
    Originally posted by mgauss
    Maybe I'm being impatient...the point here is not that the P900 (which is now officially sold in the US) is perfect.

Its 2 weaknesses are no keyboard and symbian.

A competent engineer in the Sony/Sony Ericsson team could change those two issues quickly!

A competent engineer (single person) could change the device's OS and primary input method quickly? What do you figure...over a weekend? Maybe take a week?

I think the device looks like a winner, and maybe they'll change to Palm OS and maybe they'll make a version with a thumboard...but my guess is those are fairly major changes...and they may have negative effects on performance and battery life.

Or did I misread your post and you were being sarcastic?

Ken
    Originally posted by TechDude

I agree about still pictures, but taking a video on your phone is just cool! How many people that have the expression your speaking about over a still picture would do the same thing if you showed them a video? I think the difference would be staggering.

Also, video from even a 3Megapixel Canon is not all that great. Mine has three modes: 160x120, 320x240, and 640x480.

It seems feasible to me that the video taken from this phone could be just as good as the video taken on the Canon camera at the same resolution.

Sure if you put it on a PC it looks like crap, but that's not the point. The point is to be able to take a video at any moment without having to lug another device around and then be able to show that video to someone 10 minutes later if you wanted to without ever being next to a PC.

You could say the same about a picture, but with still pictures you usually take them expecting a certain level of detail which it doesn't even get close to achieving on my Treo 600.

Now my girlfriend's Samsung VGA1000 (I think that's the model) is a different story. It has brightness, contrast, white balance, effects and everything. It's possible to tweak the camer a little and come out with decent pics in almost any lighting. From what I can tell there are similar settings for the P900, so who knows.

NOTE: I have been unable to find any documentation on what the video resolution is for the P900's video but still picture resolutions are 640x480, 320x240, and 160x120 which are the same resolutions I have for my digital camera video.

--TechDude
    I see your point of view but I still see the benefit as being a "look at this" in the same way as telling a joke! i.e. it is a very transient thing and not a "keeper". And from that point of view the quality is not so key - but if the quality is better then no complaints! What I think is the function is not key to the overall utility of the device.
    Bottom line is, I love the t600 as a whole!
    ----------
    The South Pole is at the top of the world.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123