1.    #1  
    I searched the forums but didn't see this issue anywhere. I'. trying to use wireless modem. I have purchased a serial cable and followed the directions carefully, but I always get the error '' could not connect to laptop serial port.'' Has anyone seen this? I'm on Sprint and PDANet works but I would prefer to leave hotsync out of the equation. Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
    steve
    Originally posted by Madcows
    I'm on Sprint and PDANet works but I would prefer to leave hotsync out of the equation. Any help is appreciated.
    What does PDANet have to do with Hotsync?
  3.    #3  
    Sorry I wasn't very clear at the end of that posting. I was using my Treo and my thumbs were getting tired. In my testing, PDA Net requires Hotsync to work. It doesn't have to be running, but it has to be installed.
    This is a different issue, but related. In my environment we have a hard time managing hotsync because we restrict the permissions of the average user to keep them from hurting themselves. Hotsync requires local admin permissions to install. We use a corporate software packaging solution to deliver applications to users, but it installs the software under a different user profile. Hotsync needs to be installed under the user's profile, in order to work properly. It has been a real pain, so we now want to take advantage of the wireless features of the Treo 600 and only sync wirelessly. That's my interest in Wireless Modem. It doesn't require hotsync, and there is no client piece on the pc. Only a standard modem, which is easy to deal with.
    Steve, I've gotten several errors with Wireless modem. Can you give a little more detail about what you're trying to do and where you're seeing the error? The last time I had a problem and I had to make a change, I had to set the software on the T600 to use the serial port 'ser2'. How do you have yours configured? What port are you using? Is everything set up for 57,600? What version of WirelessModem are you using?
  5.    #5  
    Hey thanks for the tip about using 'ser2'. Once I selected that setting it worked. I can only seem to get it to connect at 57,600 though. Have you been able to get it to connect faster? I'm using version 1.1.1. If I try to crank up the speed then I get an error on my pc that says my modem experienced a hardware problem. If I rachet it back down to 57,600, then it works again. Is there any way to take advantage of the faster wireless connection? I noticed the wireless modem software lets you specify a higher speed, and on XP, I can turn up the speed setting on the modem configuration, but then no workey.

Thanks again,

Steve
    Yes, 57600 is the speed that I've had to use too. I'm using version 1.1.1 too.
    I'm successfully running Wireless Modem on my Treo 600(Sprint) and Powerbook, 10.3.2. It seems the only site I'm able to access is SprintPCS. No luck with Apple or any others. I'm I wrong or is this Sprint's doing? Any work arounds? It was mentioned that Sprint charges .40/min when connected to an outside ISP. Does this also apply to unlimited data subscribers?
    Posted by madcows:

I can only seem to get it to connect at 57,600 though. Have you been able to get it to connect faster?
    I only tried wireless modem briefly over IR a long time ago. But I think from the research I did back then, the 57,600 was a limitation of the serial port, not the OS or wireless modem. (Correct me if 'm wrong)

Posted by d_mil:

It was mentioned that Sprint charges .40/min when connected to an outside ISP. Does this also apply to unlimited data subscribers?
    I think that you will still be charged what they call "Casual Web usage" or something like that. I can't remember what it was called, but they charged me for it when I tried to dial another ISP. (I have the unlimited data services)

I think the difference is that when you use Wireless modem or PDANet in their standard configuration, it dials #777 which connects you to their 3G (2.5G) network for internet access. But if you actually dial another modem it uses wireless minutes and a different technology (which is significantly slower IMO).

Posted by Madcows:

I'm on Sprint and PDANet works but I would prefer to leave hotsync out of the equation. Any help is appreciated.
    On PDANet's web site one of the recent fixes for version 2.52 is:

"Fix: In previous version the installation will fail if it is unable to locate the latest version of HotSync software on your PC, sometimes this is mistaken. This version will skip this checking."

So I'm not sure PDANet even checks for the hotsync software anymore. But it will require the hotsync drivers to be installed for your PDA to be detected over the USB port. I have been successful at installing the drivers seperately in the past, but that was before the latest version of PDANet which DID REQUIRE Hotsync to be installed. Still, you may want to try copying the essential files down from a system with Hotsync installed and see if you can get it to work without it.

With a little scripting you could probably automate this to be deployed to users over your network.

Let me know if you need any help.

--TechDude